Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 07:44 PM

256 posts, read 453,283 times

Advertisements

Just thought of a con. Everyone wants top dollar for their junk. Example, looking at new vehicles KBB states the car we want is prices at $15-19k, but locals are wanting $25k for something that is not popular or 4wd. Even dealers are over prices for what they sell.

We can fly down to Washington and drive back a vehicle while still saving a couple thousand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 08:21 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerThyme View Post
Just thought of a con. Everyone wants top dollar for their junk. Example, looking at new vehicles KBB states the car we want is prices at $15-19k, but locals are wanting $25k for something that is not popular or 4wd. Even dealers are over prices for what they sell.

We can fly down to Washington and drive back a vehicle while still saving a couple thousand.
I was just thinking the same thing, but specifically with respect to used furniture. I have been on the lookout for a couple pieces for my place and it's ridiculous. Whether it's on FB or Craigslist or wherever, people want "new" prices for their "used" stuff, which is sometimes "junk," as you pointed out. Forget about going to the second hand store where the lady "upcycles" everything and then charges way over brand-new prices for stuff.

You have pointed out one thing that annoys the **** out of me about living in the interior. And you're right, forget about it if you're in the market for a used truck. You better either love getting screwed or have a metric crap-ton of good karma stocked up.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:28 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,655,095 times
I don't live in Alaska, but I can say no way will I live there in that cold. Enjoy and have a nice Christmas.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:44 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,171,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
All I can say that one major medical emergency can wipe out the finances of a family earning $75k in Fairbanks, Juneau, Anchorage, and Dillingham. That's the way it is up here, at least in the private sector. It's doable, but not for a comfortable lifestyle. That's all I was trying to say.

In a lot of places in the lower-48, $75k brings you to a very comfortable lifestyle, but not here. And keep in mind that I have been here for a very long time, and have seen numerous families with comparable earnings, still struggling to make it. It's a little different for military members, specially in the areas relating to medical and dental services, and also for State workers. But even State workers are facing cuts, possible layoffs, and a high rate of healthcare deductibles. Such deductibles alone have gone up around 260% in the past three years, up to around $1,100 per person in 2015.
I understand what you are saying. Heck we just medevaced my two year old over thanksgiving weekend for a ruptured appendix. Lol. I understand the medical aspect, however $75k a year is still doable. You live within your means. You minimize your gas consumption. You cut out non necessities. You hand down clothes to your kids. You supplement your meat with wild game.

My family is in the process of possibly becoming a one income family. Wife has missed two weeks of work with our son. She will miss 8 weeks with the birth of our new child (one month early to anchorage plus C-section). Our income will take a massive hit this year with her missing that much work, but...we made cuts. No more Internet at home other than our cell plans. We don't need it at home. No more eating out (food isn't worth the cost). More rice and beans.

What is getting us is the $35k a year we spend in rent and child care. Of course if wife didn't work we would cut that bill in half.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:02 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
I completely agree with Haeljohn, and to take it a bit further, many cost cutting measures actually increase your quality of life. Scratch cooking is healthier than buying processed food in boxes, and in SE, everyone gets their subsistence sockeye in a week's time. Going out for firewood and chopping it up has serious health benefits as well as financial ones.

I've said it before; if you want to live a -48 lifestyle, Alaska is expensive as hell, but if you can adapt and adjust, it's not necessarily so. A lot of it depends on where you're at, though. As far as a major medical thing having the potential to wipe out a family's finances, that can happen anywhere.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-14-2015 at 12:12 AM..

Old 12-14-2015, 12:32 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,171,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I completely agree with Haeljohn, and to take it a bit further, many cost cutting measures actually increase your quality of life. Scratch cooking is healthier than buying processed food in boxes, and in SE, everyone gets their subsistence sockeye in a week's time. Going out for firewood and chopping it up has serious health benefits as well as financial ones.

I've said it before; if you want to live a -48 lifestyle, Alaska is expensive as hell, but if you can adapt and adjust, it's not necessarily so. A lot of it depends on where you're at, though. As far as a major medical thing having the potential to wipe out a family's finances, that can happen anywhere.
Exactly. We still haven't gotten any red meat this year from hunting. Moose are freaking hard to get to in DLG. However 60 Reds were put away after spending an hour on a set net.

We can't heat with wood, but our cuts have made us a stronger family. I'm willing to cut even more. Simplicity. Change. Adapt.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:31 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,899 times
A lot of "outdoorsmen" move to Alaska. A lot of "outdoorsmen" move back within a year. Alaska is not for wimps or the incompetent. Make a big mistake in Alaska? Could be your last.

Outdoorsmen often fantasize about the hunting and fishing opportunities in Alaska. There is just one thing that has kept me away. Lack of sunshine during a long winter. December in Colorado is enough of a challenge for me.

Tougher than most? Probably. Alaska tough? Maybe not.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:04 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
I disagree. The majority of people living in Alaska do not hunt, fish, build cabins with their bare hands, or any of that tough guy stuff. Wimps and incompetents abound.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:09 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,116,882 times
Thank God its not just me that feels this way. Its like this for mechanical and other services as well and if you scoff at the price not only will they be upset but they will call your friends and tell them to "have a talk with you", that your upsetting the apple cart because you don't want to pay thousands for a simple repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
I was just thinking the same thing, but specifically with respect to used furniture. I have been on the lookout for a couple pieces for my place and it's ridiculous. Whether it's on FB or Craigslist or wherever, people want "new" prices for their "used" stuff, which is sometimes "junk," as you pointed out. Forget about going to the second hand store where the lady "upcycles" everything and then charges way over brand-new prices for stuff.

You have pointed out one thing that annoys the **** out of me about living in the interior. And you're right, forget about it if you're in the market for a used truck. You better either love getting screwed or have a metric crap-ton of good karma stocked up.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:14 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,116,882 times
Moose is getting hard to get because the fish and game are issuing too many permits. Also there are more trails where 4 wheelers can get in where you used to HAVE to have a super cub. So now everyone and their mom can get just about anywhere. I remember when I was a really little kid back in the 80's we flew into hunting camps that were canvas and 2x4 skeleton with permenant heaters and cooking and there were tons of moose and other wild life. I remember as I got a little older when we were on the run way looking with the spotting scope and my grandfather saw a couple 4 wheelers and a tent and that was a bad night for everyone. That was the beginning of the end of an era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Exactly. We still haven't gotten any red meat this year from hunting. Moose are freaking hard to get to in DLG. However 60 Reds were put away after spending an hour on a set net.

We can't heat with wood, but our cuts have made us a stronger family. I'm willing to cut even more. Simplicity. Change. Adapt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska