Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 08:02 PM

206 posts, read 570,880 times

Advertisements

If there's one consistent comment on the Alaska forums is how incredibly expensive it is to live there.

So tell me all you wealthy folks, how did/do you make all your money?

Since you all seem to be on your computers 24/7/365, perhaps it's the stock market.

And what are wealthy folks doing sweeping floors, flippin' burgers, digging ditches, bagging groceries or do they make $100.hr.?

Maybe because I'm old and my math capabilities have faded over the decades, but it doesn't add up!

Enlighten me!

I want to be wealthy too and join you up there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 08:57 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
The sarcasm is cute, but the simple fact is that wages are somewhat higher here, but mostly, people live much more frugally and are more creative about spending less money.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:17 PM

339 posts, read 588,579 times
Frostnip is right. You learn what is important and what you can live without. Gardens, fishing, hunting fill the pantry while bartering will get you what you can't do yourself and finally you have to buy those things you can't get any other way, but those are a lot less than others living elsewhere would think you need to buy. I do buy a fair amount of books and craft supplies but those come out of a budget based on a steady "guaranteed" payment I have and I can use crafts as gifts, barter or sell for some cash. Like the rest, I garden, can and harvest for most of what I eat. I sew, crochet and knit -- well attempt to knit its mainly small stuff -- and make comforters to keep warm. Wealth is only relavent to the person it involves. I consider myself "wealthy" since I have friends I can call on in a pinch, and am mostly self-reliant. Not having a 9-5/50wk/yr job to go to makes me happy and wealthy. If I need cash I can do seasonal work at a resort area or taxes. With my needs, either will give me enough cash for the year. Like I said, wealth is relavent to the individual it involves.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:35 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
I started selling wild hand picked berries at 12, working fish canneries at age 14, set net sites and commercial boats at 15, bagging groceries and janitorial at 17, YACC at 18, military at 19, construction and more boats at 25, and oilfield at 26. I've always worked, bought my own school clothes, cars, gas, beer etc.
Work hard and spend wisely will go a long way in this state. Sure I do well for myself now. But I spent years climbing that tall ladder getting here.

I've earned every rung along the way.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:40 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
This place has really gone to the trolls lately.

Fact is is that there are plenty of social parasites living in Alaska. Welfare and food stamps are pretty common. There are a lot of layabouts in Alaska who are waiting for someone else to come along and fix there lives. This is more common in the urban areas.

I see no indication that any of the regular participants here are online constantly, so I don't know what that BS is all about.

As far as how anyone here has achieved any degree of financial success, they/we did so the old-fashioned way by using an outdated concept formerly known as work.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:28 AM

339 posts, read 588,579 times
Well, Met, I will admit to be on here more than I probably should, but I do multi-task. I will be listening to the TV while I am on here. Rarely will you find me on here during the day. The only time I have time to be online during the day is when I am at an appointment and am waiting. A lot of those lately. I have a netbook that connects to my cell provider. And I am self-employed. Besides why should any of us have to justify our lives, when and where and what hours, to you (OP).

If you have time to follow any of us and Q our scheduals what are you doing? By your logic you must be wealthy or on public assistance. Oh wait, as an individual who's income is derived from illicit activity you would have the time. I'm in a not-so-forgiving mood tonight so BUG OFF and leave us alone!

Old 09-15-2012, 02:03 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,843 times
We live in the Valley... Both me & the wife work full time at jobs that pay pretty decent. We are incredibly tight with our spending and avoid debt like the plague. We make it okay.

But, I've spent quite a bit of time in the Kodiak area. It seems like everyone I knew there worked a full time job, plus a part time job in the evenings, plus another job on the weekend.

So in many case it's not a matter of being wealthy, but a matter of working your butt off...

Old 09-15-2012, 06:46 AM

Thank you people! Yeah, there was a bit of sarcasm there but I really wanted to hear how an average person lives in Alaska.

As I suspected, it's no different than any place else. You do what you gotta' do.

I've lived in areas in the lower 48 where it got down to -30F, long trips to the grocery store with outrageous prices, etc.

It's just that reading the forums for Alaska and Hawaii, especially, you would think you have to be a millioniare to live there but of course how does the area function without all the normally associated jobs and wages.

Of course, I also know you're not revealing your "Secrets Of The Rich And Famous".

Old 09-15-2012, 07:22 AM

Oh, forgot to add a comment for the curmudgeonly responders.

Yes, I am retired and receiving public assistance: Social Security that your gummint removed from my paycheck for 50 years!

I know your secret is "selling ice cubes to Eskimo's" but I won't tell!

I am now "bugging off"!

Your loss!

No sunshine for you for one year!

Old 09-15-2012, 11:25 AM

236 posts, read 427,621 times
met you are very well spoken wouldn't let me rep ya hope to meet you some day when me and the family make the move up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
This place has really gone to the trolls lately.

Fact is is that there are plenty of social parasites living in Alaska. Welfare and food stamps are pretty common. There are a lot of layabouts in Alaska who are waiting for someone else to come along and fix there lives. This is more common in the urban areas.

I see no indication that any of the regular participants here are online constantly, so I don't know what that BS is all about.

As far as how anyone here has achieved any degree of financial success, they/we did so the old-fashioned way by using an outdated concept formerly known as work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska