Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 02:59 PM

480 posts, read 1,916,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnacle9 View Post
Just thought this could be an interesting topic for discussion.

I think that most Alaskans (at least outside of Anchorage area & Juneau, which is perhaps most Alaskans right there) tend to consider themselves Republican.

However; since the Republican administration of the past way too many years has trampled all over our Constitution, I wonder how people would identify themselves now.

Here are a few thoughts:

I think the average Alaskan cares far more for liberty than for politics of fear - so why should we support a party who thrives off of our fear of fundamentalist muslims and uses that fear to destroy all that which has made our nation great?

I believe that most Alaskans care very strongly for the environment. So how is the current administration doing on this?

I know that the Republican party has traditionally espoused smaller government and less governmental intrusion into our lives. How is this administration doing there? And what about fiscal conservatism???

Although I lean a bit to the Left on many issues, I tend to agree with most people here in Alaska on major political concerns.

Just wondering where you stand . . .

wee-haawwww!!!!
Your overall analysis of Alaskans is probably correct, more or less.

I don't think Bush's failings as a conservative will suddenly turn Alaskans, or anyone else who is a Republican, into Democrats. For all the things Bush has done that haven't been very fiscally conservative, no Democrat I know of would do any better at all and in fact would be considerably worse. Hillarycare, anyone?

As far as Alaskan environmentalism, there's a difference between radical environmentalism and conservationism.

Conservationism is simply caring about nature and the earth and preserving it where possible. Environmentalism used to mean the same thing...but it has become a far-left activist thing where it goes way beyond clean lakes and rivers into something entirely different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska