Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 04:34 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,889,436 times

Advertisements

And now everyone knows what happens when you mess with a cranky Metla! Thanks, hon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 04:35 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,230,431 times
Wow, Metla! An inspired diatribe against an insufferable bigot. I love it. I feel the same way as you do, and thank Xa'at for her forbearance.
To Joe:

Personally, I have raised my boys to question everything and any politician. Cynicism is a survival trait. I hope that they will question even my decisions, so that I can explain my reasoning and they might learn something or better, correct me as I become more entrenched in my outlook. Am I proud of them? You bet. Insult the child and you insult the parent. Am I proud to be an American? Yes, I am. Could we be a better country? Of course.

Patriotism is not unquestioned support of elected officials. It is the reasoned response of gratitude to a society that allows me the rights and freedoms I have enjoyed. It is also the questioning of perceived wrongs on the part of elected officials. It is the persecution of the law on all levels, from the lowest to the highest.

It is not jingoism, the unreasoned support of a government without laws. It is not screaming at the top of your lungs at the opposition, or questioning their patriotism if their opinion differs from yours. A reasoned response is the only way a political discussion can have any meaning or possible resolution.

Having served faithfully and well for 20 years in the military, when others let us swing in the breeze, and kicked us for being the faithful dogs we were, I feel entitled to point out that I disagreed with the Clinton administration, and until Iraq, supported this administration while personally disliking the man in office. I am as entitled as any person, including you, in this forum to have a political opinion. Xa'at, as a working member of this forum, is as entitled as me. She is an adult capable of rendering her opinion on-line, and she has done so.

Personal insults aside, I have supported and will continue to support any person's right to voice their opinion, including yours. I might look askance at some peoples' lifestyles, but that is THEIR choice and generally has nothing to do with me. I have nothing but contempt for someone who belittles other people in an open forum. It is a form of bigotry, made worse because it can be done in such a public and anonymous fashion. IMO, as bad as a racist comment, and nothing better than rabble-rousing rhetoric.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:40 PM

495 posts, read 493,283 times
I can't beleive some people are still so naive as to think there is any difference in Dem or Rep. When when politician insults another politician or says the most outragious think, it is all designed for the sole purpose of getting your attention. The more people they get to the poles the more money they demand and get in campagine contributions, simple as that....another way of say "campagine contribution" is "Give a whole bunch of money to my friends, kids and family to manage my campagine, meanwhile I know I'm going to lose but who cares we all get rich anyway, and then get exhorbitant extra salaries to get on commitees that never do anything and once again hire my kid for 300 dollars an hour as a consultant and then start the whole process over on the next election cycle" - get the picture, folks winner lose or draw, they don't care, they get rich anyway, AS LONG as they keep the show going, it's just a big show. In the end they all do what they want - as the american public, Dem or Rep is so dump they'll vote the same families into office - ie, Bush's son and next Bill's wife, dahhhhhhh what's wrong with this picture ? And how stupid do people have to be to fall for this stuff ?

Old 10-28-2007, 04:48 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,804,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
That is all.
get 'em girl......lol

(have some chocolate on me....)

Old 10-28-2007, 04:54 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,230,431 times
"Cry havoc, and let loose Metla!"

Old 10-28-2007, 05:44 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
BTW...I'm a 6 yr Marine vet, vietnam vet, and had at one time 3 kids on active duty. Now just 2.
I was with the 1st Marine Division, 1st FSSG, 7th Engineer Battalion, from 1972 through 1980. Semper Fi!

Old 10-28-2007, 07:43 PM

295 posts, read 659,344 times
Question who's this Mike Gravel guy?

I'm asking about the former Senator from Alaska who is now running for president as a Democrat? I know he hasn't lived in Alaska for about a quarter of a century, but I am wondering if any of you have lived there long enough to remember what he was like as a Senator. He actually makes some sense and provides comic relief in the debates but may not be playing with a full deck, not exactly the best advertisement for Alaska.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:55 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,889,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expdxer View Post
I'm asking about the former Senator from Alaska who is now running for president as a Democrat? I know he hasn't lived in Alaska for about a quarter of a century, but I am wondering if any of you have lived there long enough to remember what he was like as a Senator. He actually makes some sense and provides comic relief in the debates but may not be playing with a full deck, not exactly the best advertisement for Alaska.
You know, I knew very little about him, but when I looked him up he actually seems like an okay guy. He's not going to get the dem party nomination, but if he runs as an independent I might just vote for him. However, it'd be nice if we didn't have yet another old white guy in the hotseat. We've had 'em for the last two hundred or so years and so far it isn't working out... (no offense to old white guys, of course )
I found this for those interested... Political positions of Mike Gravel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-28-2007, 08:01 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,443,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expdxer View Post
Well the rest are stacking the deck in their favor so some one has to loose a few cards so everyone else has extra ACES.

I was pretty young an neieve when he was senator, I remember agood impresion of him and felt he was a straight shooter as in more honest than others. I also think he has been out of the game a long time. This may be an advantage or disadvantage.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:01 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,283,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I lied. I'm entitled because I am a seething mass of inconsistent hormones and the mother of all hot flashes just cruised through both my body and my soul.

I ain't done with ya, Joe.

This is one thing that can be generalized about Alaskans.

If you attack one of us for thinking or believing a certain way, especially one of our fine young people...you may as well attack us all.

What a crying shame you were unable to defend your bible thumping "mentality" with anything but a slam on someone who doesn't happen to allow a monkey ass faced goon of an election stealing oil ***** to do her thinking for her.

Too bad about you.

I am sure her parents are as proud of her as I am of my son.

Exponentially so and with very good cause.

You are dismissed now, Joe. Bye bye.

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH. You bore me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska