Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 06:47 PM

251 posts, read 706,514 times

Advertisements

Hello again all!

I am looking at which vehicle would serve me best should I move to Bethel.
Would a four-wheeler ATV or a standard car do better for me?
I will be living and working in town so long distances are really not a concern.
It will be just me alone moving up and I really don't want to ship in my Suburban.

It seems that the ATV can be used year-round unlike a snowmachine.
But the standard car requires a block heater to warm it up in advance.
Any suggestions as to practicality?
If I decide to stay after a year or two, I'll likely get a car; however for right now I just want the basics.

Also, how is the used car/ATV market up there?
How much should I expect to spend?

As always, thanks for any and all input.

Best,
-Merlin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 07:35 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,121,949 times
Here is the local classified ads here in Bethel. Classified Ads
A four wheeler wouldn't be a problem in the winter, but would be rather cold. It can be anywhere from 10 above to -20 degrees. There is this big factor called windchill. That makes the cold air seem a lot colder than what it is, would be cold on a atv.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:02 PM

Warptman,

Thanks for the link.

Having camped extensively in the cold, I am all too familiar with wind chill.
Proper clothing helps but is not always the solution...

Do you think it feasible for me to just get an ATV and rely upon taxis when it gets TOO cold, or should I buy a car from the get-go?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Best,
-Merlin

Old 11-01-2007, 08:06 PM

I myself don't have a vehicle here, I bike. I use the parents car now and then. The cab rates just went up a dollar from $4 in town to $5 in town now. A local native tribe is getting ready to get a citywide bus service soon, I hope that cuts down the cabs here. We have the highest cab per person here in the nation...It even made papers down states!
Remote Alaska town is cab capital Deseret News (Salt Lake City) - Find Articles

Old 11-01-2007, 08:16 PM

Warptman,

I am really into cycling but thought it not reasonable for AK.
Am I clueless?
Can I really bring my bike and use it during the winter season?
Was planning on leaving it home...

Best,
-Merlin

Old 11-01-2007, 08:18 PM

Oh, you can't ride your atv on any of the state highways here in Bethel. Here is a map of City-owned roads, The state highway is highlighted in yellow, all other roads are city owned. http://www.bethel.govoffice.com/vert...EC4F583%7D.JPG

CITY OF BETHEL, ALASKA
ORDINANCE # 06-21

WHEREAS the City of Bethel (“City”) has adopted regulations by reference to the Alaska Administrative Code regarding the operation of snowmobiles and other off-highway motorized vehicles;

WHEREAS the City is aware of the desires of some residents of the community to be able to provide alternative methods of vehicular transportation as well as the need for proving for the safety of those who live and visit the City;

WHEREAS snowmobiles, personal all-terrain-vehicles (ATV or four wheelers), off-road motorcycles and scooters, and other similar vehicles provide alternative transportation, certain rules and regulations are required.

WHEREAS in order to provide for the safety and general welfare of the community and to meet the needs of those who desire or depend upon alternative means of transportation, certain rules and regulations are required.

NOW THEREFOR, BE IT ORDAINED by the City Council of Bethel, Alaska that:

SECTION 1. Classification. The ordinance is permanent in nature and shall be placed in the Bethel Municipal Code.

SECTION 2. Applicability. Section 10.02.455 of the BMC shall be amended to include the following paragraphs and language as a supplement to and not replacing language in the Alaska Administrative Code:
D. Snowmobiles and ATVs shall also be permitted to operate only on City owned and maintained streets subject to the following rules, and regulations:
1. Snow machines and ATVs shall be permitted provided that the driver of the snow machine is at least sixteen (16) years of age and posses at minimum a valid Alaska Class D driver’s license, or equivalent from another jurisdiction, and comply with all State of Alaska laws and regulations pertaining to drivers licenses.
2. Snow machines and ATVs must comply will all State of Alaska and City of Bethel traffic laws and ordinances, including but not limited to:
i. vehicle must be registered through the Division of Motor Vehicles, and proof of registration must be displayed in the designated location on the vehicle;
ii. vehicle must have liability insurance, and proof on insurance must be presented on demand;
iii. vehicle must be equipped with at least one functional headlight, taillight, and brake light that meets Alaska Administrative Code requirements for said equipment;
iv. vehicle may not carry and passengers other than the operator unless it is designed and equipped by the manufacturer to do so;
v. vehicle operator must abide by all speed limits, regulatory signs, and other traffic safety regulations.
3. the operator must comply with all State of Alaska and City of Bethel laws and ordinances as they pertain to the use of eye protection and helmets.
4. towing of sleds or trailers is permitted only under the following restrictions:
i. the sled or trailer must be attached by a solid and rigid towing devise (ropes, cables, tow straps and the like are prohibited);
ii. the sled or trailer must be equipped with the proper lighting that is illuminated if the taillight and brake light of the snow machine or ATV is not visible from behind the sled or trailer;
iii if not required to have lights, the sled or trailer must be equipped with at least two red reflectors, one permanently attached to each uppermost rear corner of the sled or trailer;
iv. trailers being towed must be under 1500 pounds (including its cargo) and the trailer and its cargo can not be blocking the operator’s ability to easily see behind the vehicle and trailer.

SECTION 3. Definitions
As used in Section 10.02.455 of the BMC:
“Snow Machine” means a motor vehicle weighing one (1) ton or less, gross vehicle weight, primarily designed to travel over snow and supported, in part, by skis belts, cleats, tracks or low pressure tires and includes the vehicle commonly known as a snowmobile or snow-go.
“ATV” means a propelled vehicle that has three (3) or more wheels or two (2) or more tracks or treads, measuring less than seventy-five 75 inches in width, having a dry weight of one (1) ton or less, being equipped with low pressure tires or rubberized or metal tracks or treads and designed primarily for travel over unimproved terrain.
SECTION 4. Offenses
A parent or guardian of a minor under the age of sixteen (16) commits an offense under the BMC Section 10.02.455 if he/she knowingly permits, or, by insufficient control, allows the minor to operate a snow machine or ATV in violation of the ordinance. Indifference as to the activities or whereabouts of the minor under the age of sixteen (16) shall be prima facie evidence of insufficient control.
SECTION 5. Fines
Any operator or parent or guardian of a minor operator under sixteen (16) found guilty of a violation of BMC Section 10.02.455 that will not be charged under State of Alaska Statute or Administrative Code is guilty of an infraction and is punishable by a fine of
i. Twenty-five ($25) dollars for a first (1st) citation;
ii. Fifty dollars ($50) for a second (2nd) citation;
iii. Seventy-five ($75) dollars for a third (3rd) citation;
iv. One hundred dollars ($100) for a fourth (4th) citation and each one thereafter.
2. Officers of the Bethel Police Department may impound snow machines and ATVs whose operators have been cited upon the fourth (4th) citation under the provisions of BMC Section 10.02.455.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:10 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,387,812 times
I'd say a bike is only a viable form of transportation depending upon which part of town you live in and where you will likely ride. Before moving to Bethel, I routinely rode 20+ miles several times a week (much off-road). After moving to Bethel, I quit riding my bike. So did my husband. We lived on the "other" side of town (away from the hospital). Between choking on the dust raised by passing cars and having our teeth nearly jarred out of our heads from the extremely poor roads, we found bike riding just wasn't a pleasant experience. Others think dodging the taxis is a major inconvenience.

I saw many more bikes being used on the hospital side of town where there was a paved road. I understand some of the other side has now been paved, but the areas that were the absolute worst in mud season are still unpaved.

ATVs and snowmachines weren't allowed on the roads when I lived in Bethel, but I see from Warptman's post that they are now allowed on City owned streets. (The hospital is on the State highway, so you wouldn't be able to use an ATV to get to work although you could probably find a snowmachine route during the winter.) Frankly, I think I'd be afraid to use either as a form of transportation on the streets of Bethel. There are too many vehicles, going way too fast, and too many vehicular accidents as it is. Perhaps people are slowing down and being more careful now, but I highly doubt it.

Snowmachines and ATVs are the most common form of transportation where I currently live. Since there's much less traffic, I feel more comfortable with these alternative forms of transportation. The odds of surviving an accident are greatly reduced when the accident is car/truck vs. snowmachine/ATV.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:19 AM

We have a new bike/walk path on the new highway. It begins up in housing and it goes all the way out on the state highway up to the airport. A few people ride year round, I park it when it gets too cold out and walk to work. The city did a great job this past summer on the dirt roads in town to keep the dust down. They have a water truck designed to spray water down on the streets and use calcium chloride to keep the dust down. I'd bring the bike along, there are a lot of them around now. It hasn't really gotten cold yet, I'm still riding my cannondale.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:25 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,447,554 times
Talking Warptman's Ride

Old 11-02-2007, 08:55 AM

I wish! I'd be the Alaskan Road Warrior! Watch out cabbies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska