Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe Palin said she could see Russia from her house?
Yes 9 18.75%
No 39 81.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 05:18 PM

941 posts, read 1,791,549 times

Advertisements

I did a search for subjects that I'd like to ask our self-proclaimed tea party experts to verify as the absolutely most accurate listing of the core beliefs of the tea party. The realization that the "donate' button isn't among the tea parties values has me lost as it was the single common theme of every tea party site I visited. Several of these sites brought my antivirus system to declare you don't want to go there. I avoided these sites. Does this mean the ordinary person who thinks they subscribe to the core beliefs of the tea party is gullible enough to fall for such a scam? That is one charge the "liberal fringe" hasn't caught but now that it has been exposed it will surely become similar to the assaults on Anthony Weiner by TPers.

There were many different core belief systems on the different web sites so choosing one was difficult. I solved this by using a fake ID to ask a TP blog where I could find the leading synopsis of the tea party's core beliefs? I only got a couple of answers but both of them mentioned the same list. I found the site called TeaPartyPatriots.org and here are the core values.
Illegal Aliens Are Here Illegally.
Pro-Domestic Employment Is Indispensable. Stronger Military Is Essential. Special Interests Eliminated. Gun Ownership Is Sacred. Government Must Be Downsized. National Budget Must Be Balanced. Deficit Spending Will End. Bail-Out And Stimulus Plans Are Illegal. Reduce Personal Income Taxes A Must. Reduce Business Income Taxes Is Mandatory. Political Offices Available To Average Citizens. Intrusive Government Stopped. English As Core Language Is Required. Traditional Family Values Are Encouraged. Common Sense Constitutional Self-Government is our mode of operation.

Notice that none of the core values of the tea party have ever been before the Supreme Court. There is a List of SCOTUS "Milestones Cases In Supreme Court History" starting in 1803. So in 210 years nothing they seek was important enough to warrant the time of the Court.

Last edited by richelles; 08-11-2013 at 05:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 10:37 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
The average Tea Partier is indeed against government spending -- with the exception of money spent on them. Go to most any Tea Party rally and half of them are motoring around on their medicare paid for scooters which they use to travel on down to their mailbox to check to see if their Social Security check has arrived, and if they happen to be close to 65, checking to see if their medicare card has found its way to their independent address.

Now that's a snapshot of what they truly represent.
That's new to me, never seen anyone at a ralley on a scooter, seen a few Harley's though.

That is like saying you're white so you have to be a racist. Sorry, but that is pure Baloney, a racist comes in all colors and creeds, as do people that care about leaving a good world for our children and others.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:00 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
What are you hoping to accomplish here? Are you thinking that you're going to be able to browbeat people into your way of thinking? Seriously, what's the point? No one is going to change anyone's mind here.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
What are you hoping to accomplish here? Are you thinking that you're going to be able to browbeat people into your way of thinking? Seriously, what's the point? No one is going to change anyone's mind here.
Well I can tell you that at least 6 folks "now" may realize that Palin didn't make the Russia Statement the left loves to attribute to her instead of a SNL skit, and the skit was ROTF funny and still is.

But it's like a wreck on the highway, people love to come back to see it. So there has to be some entertainment value here for them as well!

Alaska's political arena is small compared to most other States and many here know a lot of the Players, just fuzzy on the facts. Sometimes you do change minds when someone realizes they were hoodwinked into believing false statements and a light bulb comes on and they do change... Truth has a funny impact on some folks, others just can't see the forest because the trees are in the way!

Old 08-14-2013, 02:51 AM

I don't know one single person who thought that Palin actually said that. Again, not one, and I'm pretty damned familiar with the American "left." Everyone knows it was a television spoof. I don't see the point in trying to say that it was commonly thought that she really said that.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:37 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,624,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I don't know one single person who thought that Palin actually said that. Again, not one, and I'm pretty damned familiar with the American "left." Everyone knows it was a television spoof. I don't see the point in trying to say that it was commonly thought that she really said that.
I don't know how many / what percentage of people believed it, but someone I work with believed it. Not from seeing it on SNL, but from reading in a blog or article or something that said she really said it. I think people who want to believe something like that read it and simply accept it as fact, since it affirms their beliefs.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:04 AM

941 posts, read 1,791,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
... Truth has a funny impact on some folks, others just can't see the forest because the trees are in the way!
In the past twenty years a number of network and cable shows have formed what is commonly referred to as truth squads which do a fairly commendable job of unmasking some of the common really stupid lies that politicians tell. Perhaps the best example is the number of members of the House of Representatives who have weighed in on the subject of rape with their false reports. They have been taken down and in all probability they will be defeated in the next election cycle. The problem is the voters frequently have no idea of what someone stands for other than the few blurbs they parrot from their party's talking points during the election contest. This isn't limited to any one party or viewpoint but is found across the spectrum of political views. The fact there are no term limits on electoral service is what is really at fault. it is when lifetime tenure in the House becomes a mantra that the fallacy of not bringing in new people begins to show. The fact that the Congress derives much of it mystique from seniority is the driving force that keeps term limits, except for the President, as a status we can only hope for.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:29 AM

Term limits would be a good thing, doesn't matter what party, they all have bad apples in them. By having them becoming Dynasty's, the work of the country is lost in the game.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:50 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Term limits would be a good thing, doesn't matter what party, they all have bad apples in them. By having them becoming Dynasty's, the work of the country is lost in the game.
Congressional term limits, while being insignificant in the Senate, would be disastrous if implemented in the House. In the Senate every State is represented by two Senators, so seniority is not as important.

However, in the House seniority is the only way for any of the small populous States to have any kind of authority, as in Chairs of Committees. Term limits in the House would destroy that seniority and give all authority to only the most populous States, which is a very bad idea. Rep. Don Young would never have been Chairman of the Transportation or Natural Resources Committees had it not been for seniority.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
I don't know how many / what percentage of people believed it, but someone I work with believed it. Not from seeing it on SNL, but from reading in a blog or article or something that said she really said it. I think people who want to believe something like that read it and simply accept it as fact, since it affirms their beliefs.
Yeah, you can always find the exception, but to try to infer that the entire election was swayed by it is a stretch, at most.

There's some underlying truth in Tina Fey's skit; the funniest political satire contains at least a few truthful grains. Geography wasn't Palin's strong suit, and there were plenty of things that she actually did say that can back that up. She really wasn't ready to play in the big leagues, and it more than showed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: