Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 09:57 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,899 times

Advertisements

Anyone want to share the stupid questions comments from tourists?Not wanting to disrespect anyone but they did waste a space of my life also. Questions are good but it amazes me how many people have no Idea where they just went on vacation? Maybe it is just me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 10:01 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,899 times
One of the best .. two gals talking. Why is the windmill not moving? It is cloudy outside it is solar powered.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:18 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,836,062 times
I get this pretty much every time I've loaded the boat on the trailer coming off Skilak Lake. And I haven't had a fishing pole in our boat in 10 years! Someone pulls up and as I'm unloading chainsaw, skillsaw, toolbelt and various other tools...they ask "hows the fishing"!

Like I was fishing with a chainsaw!

Old 10-03-2013, 01:20 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,290,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
One of the best .. two gals talking. Why is the windmill not moving? It is cloudy outside it is solar powered.
A solar powered windmill?

Old 10-03-2013, 01:24 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,290,066 times
What time do you feed the bears? What time do the bears come out? Hey, did you see that bear? Oh my gosh, is that really a bear? And so on...

Old 10-03-2013, 01:37 AM

218 posts, read 241,924 times
It wasn't in AK, but a friend of mine who is with the BLM was once ask "what time of year do the deer turn into elk" and another time "how old do brown bears have to be before they finally turn into black bears" YIKES!!

Old 10-03-2013, 10:03 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,617,571 times
I drove tour bus for two years... I could fill a book. Here's some quick ones:

"Do the glaciers melt away every year?"

"Are you guys adding water to the glaciers in the winter to slow down their retreat?"

On Portage Glacier tours, I'd spend time on the trip down from Anchorage talking about the Turnagain Arm: It's discovery by Cpt. Cook, the tides, the fish, the whales, etc. So we get to the visitor's center at Portage & I give them a time to be back at the coach in order to make our scheduled boat ride to the glacier. 40 minutes later it's time to go and everyone is on the coach but one lady. She finally comes jogging up to the coach, breathing heavily from her haste. She says: "Wow... I just can't catch my breath at this altitude! How far above sea level are we?" My response: "Well since we were driving along an arm of the ocean the whole way here, I'd say we are about 100 feet above sea level?" She didn't believe me...

"I didn't come to Alaska just see a bunch of stupid trees and some animals."

"How come you guys don't do something to make the glacier's calve more often?"

"How come you don't have northern lights in the summer?"

We were stopped in construction just south of Moose Pass. We were headed to Seward for the people to get on their cruise. One guy was convinced the boat would leave without him. He came up and started chewing me out for taking the road with construction. "Why didn't we take another route if you knew there was construction?!?" I had to get out my maps and show him this was the only highway to Seward. He thought it was ridiculous that there wasn't another highway to get there.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:17 PM

860 posts, read 2,056,836 times
While working on the docks one day - low tide, the ramp was straight up & down. A very large woman came inching down the ramp hanging on for dear life, huffing & puffing. Several hours later she and her fishing group came back - high tide. She stood at the bottom of the ramp and let out a big "Whew!, thank God they fixed that thing!"

Just north of town the Stikine river delta collects huge cottonwood stumps washed downriver hundreds of miles during the spring floods. One hoity toity tourist complained how "morbid" all those dead stumps looked and why doesn't somebody clean that up?

Who feeds the seals?

Old 10-03-2013, 03:05 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
I remember being in line in a store in Glitter Gulch behind a couple who were complaining that there wasn't a Wal*Mart there.

Sitting in a bench in front of Nagley's one day, someone asked me if they just "close up the town" in the winter.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:12 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,756,315 times
Hay, what octane do you recommend for sled dogz?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska