Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 03:31 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times

Advertisements

Not the same person at all. The one that used to be here was banned for stalking and harassing people. He wanted to be a trooper, god help us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 12:39 AM

2,308 posts, read 3,455,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Sorry buddy,i thought you were commenting on me posting a reply to a thread on the alaska base (Which I dont do very much)
Sorry and thanks.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:40 AM

2,308 posts, read 3,455,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Not the same person at all. The one that used to be here was banned for stalking and harassing people. He wanted to be a trooper, god help us.
Got it. Thank you Met.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:08 PM

Location: Bloomfield Hills, Michigan (temporary, just for another year and I'm off)
10 posts, read 13,151 times
Hey guys!

I plan to spend my summer 2014 in Alaska for a summer job before going off to college as a freshman!

The thing is that I'm not a US citizen, though I do have a F-1 Visa. But when I looked over the sites for the jobs, I was a bit confused. Are accommodations and food provided? I just don't get how the whole thing works and would appreciate it if someone can explain to me. I'm specifically looking for jobs that can provide me with greatest access to accommodation and food. I'm a novice at everything, though I have a good amount of confidence about my fitness level. I'm actually a pretty small Asian girl, unfortunately, standing at 5 ft, or 153 cm.

So, much appreciated!

Old 11-02-2013, 11:48 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Most places that hire foreign students provide room and board. Actually, I think they have to do so in order to be eligible to hire foreign students. Apply at places like Princess and CIRI. They have employee dining rooms where they feed you, and you'll have to share a room with another student.

I don't know what sites you're looking at...have you looked at this one? They have a special section there for foreign students and can probably give you more information than anyone here can:

Summer Jobs and Seasonal Jobs in Great Places | CoolWorks.com

Old 11-03-2013, 08:15 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahszuming View Post
Hey guys!

I plan to spend my summer 2014 in Alaska for a summer job before going off to college as a freshman!

The thing is that I'm not a US citizen, though I do have a F-1 Visa. But when I looked over the sites for the jobs, I was a bit confused. Are accommodations and food provided? I just don't get how the whole thing works and would appreciate it if someone can explain to me. I'm specifically looking for jobs that can provide me with greatest access to accommodation and food. I'm a novice at everything, though I have a good amount of confidence about my fitness level. I'm actually a pretty small Asian girl, unfortunately, standing at 5 ft, or 153 cm.

So, much appreciated!
I don't know where you grew up or where you are from, but in the good 'ole USA there isn't too much you can't do based on your size. We have laws or rules in place to protect against that. You own abilities will qualify or disqualify you, not your size.

Check the sites mentioned - Most of the temp jobs on those sites are 'service jobs' -meaning you'll clean rooms, drive a bus, register people at the hotel, wait tables, do dishes, pickup trash, etc.... When I was vacationing in Denali, I saw the same person who was 'cleaning rooms' at the hotel, working at the ice cream parlor across the street later that night.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:28 PM

Location: Bloomfield Hills, Michigan (temporary, just for another year and I'm off)
10 posts, read 13,151 times
[quote=Dakster;32080480]I don't know where you grew up or where you are from, but in the good 'ole USA there isn't too much you can't do based on your size. We have laws or rules in place to protect against that. You own abilities will qualify or disqualify you, not your size.

Hey Dakstar! That's very true actually. I don't even know why I mentioned my height. I know very well size do not determine my abilities! In fact I'm quite strong! (no kidding here ;] )
And, i don't know if you care, but just to answer your statement, I grew up in both Malaysia and Saudi Arabia, and now is my third year in Michigan.

I didn't know there were laws against that, huh.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:06 PM

457 posts, read 1,015,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Well Manmountain, who was the company, after over 4 years CH2 called back my man-guy to the slope, we have been in AZ for over 4 years... we are contemplating, but leaning toward the not...as it would be a $1500 year raise compared to here, but that does not take into consideration travel time and cost to get to Anchorage...it is pretty much a no-brainer as to not to do...Maybe now he will get rid of his winter gear he was issued many moons ago....
Granny R; werent you you one busting my alls with the old bag last year? what the hey baby.

Yes take the job, youll do ok if its on the slope,

any company if its on the slope has to take care of there people and wages are 30 or better anyway,

go for it. Put him to work and yourself go to hawaii and he'll meet ya there when hes off.
If hes a trucker and wants the haul road go to oil transport companies .

And you younger people 18 + get your stupid azz out there and learn the world , dont waste money on college , go to the heavy construction companies and tell them you want to bust azz and have it in your head head you will never fire me , the only reason I leave is I have a better job offer or I die, Ill give 110% , never be late, will never intentionally F -up.

Plus its fun to be really good at what ya do and you'll have the self esteem again that public schooling took away from you.

I met a couple people in alaska that told me I was 18 and split to Alaska, now they were 28 and makin 90K a year and PROUD . So wake up dipshyte and get you stupid past-azz there if that what your dream is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska