Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 04:59 PM

457 posts, read 1,016,688 times

Advertisements

Dont listen to these CD props. Wana go to Alaska to build a life? -- Go for it. I did and it worked out OK.

Let me tell you a story; Im workin out of Fairbanks, I meet lots of Alaskans makin descent (28hr) buck$. We all become buds/friends and one day I told them I just flew in 4 weeks ago and one of the youger units said , "Im takin dollars$ back to the lower 48. I jumped his **** real bad and then he told me he's now 26 and came to alaska by himself 7 years ago from Oklahoma and is now married, has a baby , lives in N pole , has snow machines , getting the copper reds, and is happy.

The lower 48 is turning into deeper and deeper sewer line -- so if you dont have options --- GOOOOOOOOOO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 05:20 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,522,496 times
My .02.

I try not to take big gambles that can lead to disaster... Typically if you are young (late teen to early 20's) and not leaving a good job behind it might be worth the gamble. If anything at least it will be an adventure. There are ways to go up with at least a temp job lined up... rather than showing up and winging it 100%.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:29 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
So what kind of "life" are you "building" in Alaska, Manmoron? In one of your recent previous posts here, you claimed to be going to Texas because you lost your job up there (that you probably didn't even have).

Old 11-08-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
My .02.

I try not to take big gambles that can lead to disaster... Typically if you are young (late teen to early 20's) and not leaving a good job behind it might be worth the gamble. If anything at least it will be an adventure. There are ways to go up with at least a temp job lined up... rather than showing up and winging it 100%.
Its not a gamble Dakster really . Its no more of a gamble than taking a job at BurgerKing in Tulsa. Where ya gonna live in Tulsa? You can rent a place all day long in Fairbanks or NPole just like any city in the US for 400$ a month.

The bag is out Alaska is a welfare state , period.

The statis quo wants you to think Alaska is a mystical quagmire of HARDY INDEPENDENT (*******s really)! .

F them-- go up there and tell them the natives are the only ones that arent whitewashed trailer trash.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:30 PM

386 posts, read 668,459 times
Lol funny post

Old 11-08-2013, 06:36 PM

Learn to think and discern, that deep down knowing one has is right Dakster

John Taylor Gatto's Resignation: I Quit. I Think - YouTube

Old 11-08-2013, 09:36 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,485,615 times
I would certainly say if you are young and thinking about a new life adventure or living someplace like that, then do it while you are young. Life in Alaska can be very hard, especially if you choose to live off the grid and have to completely fend for yourself. You see many people that have grown older that regret never doing their dream and now they are too old to do it, which is sad.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:53 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,836,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manmountain View Post
one of the youger units said , "Im takin dollars$ back to the lower 48. I jumped his **** real bad and then he told me he's now 26 and came to alaska by himself 7 years ago from Oklahoma and is now married, has a baby , lives in N pole , has snow machines , getting the copper reds, and is happy.
So which is it? He is taking money back to Oklahoma or he's living in North Pole?

Old 11-09-2013, 02:53 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,572,327 times
Geeze, you'd think that having just lost a job (someplace), one would be working to get another instead of telling everyone one else what to do.

It gets old with these people that clearly haven't been to Alaska pretending that they have and telling everyone what to do to be sucessfull.

Problem is that if you do in fact live here, it is a small place where you always know someone somewhere. I bet Rance and others (and myself) can tell you about every company on the slope and knows someone there that can tell you about anyone that works there.

If you want to come to Alaska for an adventure, then do so, but have enough money in your pocket or the ablity to get back if things don't work out well for you. Some folks come and do rather well and others fail terribly. But there is always those that want to sound important that really don't know anything at all.

Doesn't really matter where you go in life, what matters is how you view it and what you do to make things better. Running from one problem won't mean you won't have that issue someplace else.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:57 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,522,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manmountain View Post
Its not a gamble Dakster really . Its no more of a gamble than taking a job at BurgerKing in Tulsa. Where ya gonna live in Tulsa? You can rent a place all day long in Fairbanks or NPole just like any city in the US for 400$ a month.

The bag is out Alaska is a welfare state , period.

The statis quo wants you to think Alaska is a mystical quagmire of HARDY INDEPENDENT (*******s really)! .

F them-- go up there and tell them the natives are the only ones that arent whitewashed trailer trash.
It is a gamble if you are leaving steady employment and being surrounded by lifelong friends and family.

Again, why did you leave again? Can't be because it worked out that well.

All states are welfare states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska