Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 05:40 PM

2 posts, read 7,104 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am new here and have a few questions that I am hoping some can help me with. My husband and I will be moving from the Caribbean to Alaska in April 2014. I know, it will be a huge change but one we are very excited about. I have visited AK before and loved it, H hasn't been there yet but is thrilled.
We will be seasonal workers. I am a boat captain with experience and he is a heavy machine operator and a boat captain with more experience as a deckhand.
We have received offers of employment in Skagway but have friends in Homer that reassure us we can easily get jobs in our fields as soon as we get there. I prefer a locked in job (like we have in Skagway), but H is leaning towards Homer because they tell us such great stories of Homer.
I was wondering if anyone can tell me a little about seasonal employment in Homer and a little about each city. Fitness is huge to us, so a good gym (H's preference is crossfit, but neither town has that) is a must. Also, a little bit of a larger place (i.e. more activities to do) would suit us as we have bad island fever after living in the Caribbean for the last few years.
I have researched the boards but haven't found any recent threads on comparison of the two places. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 06:56 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
They are both good places, but Skagway can be a little more isolated during the winter months. No reason why you can't take the job in Skagway and then go investigate life in Homer after the season is over.

You'll probably find more of a year round community in Homer. I'm not sure about gyms; most Alaskans I know who live in the smaller areas get their exercise through outdoor activities.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:39 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,613,331 times
Would you be interested in owning your own charter business? I've got a friend looking to sell his in Homer.

Homer would feel a lot less isolated. It's on the road system, even though it is at the end of the road system. And I'm pretty sure it's bigger than Skagway.
Yes, you can drive out of Skagway, but only into the wilds of Canada. To get to Juneau would require a ferry ride or a plane ride.

I don't think either community has a gym...

My opinion: Skagway is the prettier location, but I think Homer will fit more of what you are looking for.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:12 PM

623 posts, read 957,488 times
Skagway is awesome, in the summer. It really feels isolated (even though it has road access outside) in the winter and the wind is a pain.

It's one of the most beautiful towns in ALaska though. I've spent a summer there and had a blast, it's different from any town I've been in (including those in Ak.)

Old 11-20-2013, 10:32 PM

468 posts, read 799,336 times
I live in Homer. We have a pretty active community year round. After the tourist season is over, it becomes much more community oriented. There are tons of outdoors activities here too. Hiking, biking, kayaking, cross country skiing, etc. We also have a couple of gyms. Bay Club is a small town version of a full service gym. They have classes, free weights, exercise machines, a small pool and a climbing wall. There is also the Alaska Training Room which is has circuit training classes and boot camps.

I haven't been to Skagway yet, so I can't really offer a comparison.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 7,104 times
Thanks all for the responses. It hasn't made our decision any easier A lot of pros and cons for both locations. And to add on top of it, I may be getting another job offer in Whittier. So back to more researching.
I do realize a lot of Alaskans get their fitness with outdoor activities, but H does a lot of weight lifting and I really enjoy boot camp sort of things and after being out on the water all day, I like going to a gym.
AKStafford- what kind of charter is your friend selling? Any links to it? We are open to all possibilities, no commitments to anywhere (like kids or mortgage).

Old 11-21-2013, 12:54 PM

Home

I think that's the current listing site.

You could also call them directly at (907)235-7222.
Contact Big Bear

Old 11-21-2013, 01:09 PM

It includes the two boats, the boardwalk, the gift shop with the apartments above.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:19 PM

1,169 posts, read 750,103 times
Photo Gallery | Skagway Recreation Center

Skagway has a municipal rec center which includes circuit training and spinning equipment and some free weights among other things. The effort to build an indoor swim center similar to what every Canadian small town and village has resurfaces regularly but nothing yet.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:08 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,685,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyer View Post
Photo Gallery | Skagway Recreation Center

Skagway has a municipal rec center which includes circuit training and spinning equipment and some free weights among other things. The effort to build an indoor swim center similar to what every Canadian small town and village has resurfaces regularly but nothing yet.
5 1/2 years later..........Thanks for the update.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska