Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 12:02 AM

6 posts, read 18,724 times

Advertisements

I have the opportunity to live in either Seward or Homer until the fall.
Its something I really want to try.

I'm 30 something, on my own, and would like to meet some people my age. (25-35)
It's an odd position to be in, to try and meet people when you're on your own, but that is the position I chose.
I work on my own, so I don't even have the opportunity to meet people at work.

In bigger cities, I'll often just go to open mic's and play some music.
That is normally an easy way to meet people with similar interests.

Just wondering if anybody has any experience in either city?
Any feedback on locals meeting transplants?

I was in Seward the other day, went to a couple of bars that were pretty full for a weekday.
How is it in Homer? Are there any pubs/bars that are open during the winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 12:28 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Homer, I'd go to Homer if I was still your age.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:46 PM

854 posts, read 1,977,004 times
Homer has just as much live music (per week, on average) as Anchorage does. It's somewhat toned down for winter, but it's still there. I gig there once a month or so. Good town to be a musician, best non-college town in Alaska if you're young and single (which I'm not, but I know many who are). I'd say it's an easy choice.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:34 PM

Wow. Thanks for the feedback. Never thought it would be that busy for music.

Any info on the venues there? Any idea where I can find some open mic's or schedule of what happens locally?

Yes, I am young and single and going to a town of 5,000 people. Its ridiculous but I gotta do it. If I don't, I'll regret it.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:08 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,612,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_around View Post
Wow. Thanks for the feedback. Never thought it would be that busy for music.

Any info on the venues there? Any idea where I can find some open mic's or schedule of what happens locally?

Yes, I am young and single and going to a town of 5,000 people. Its ridiculous but I gotta do it. If I don't, I'll regret it.
Entertainment - Homer Alaska

Old 11-22-2013, 06:21 PM

Thanks for the link.

However, I was also hoping to maybe get some inside info on local events?

What type of music do you play bortstc37?

Anybody have some info on which bars might have an open mic?

Perhaps I am trying to have a conversation that no one else wants to have??

Old 11-22-2013, 08:14 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
I don't think it's that; there just aren't that many people (if any) your age who live in Homer here. Bortstc37 only seems to come on this forum sporadically.

It will happen like this: You'll go to Homer, and on your first or second morning there, you'll go out for coffee or breakfast, or maybe you'll go out for an evening meal or libation, and within an hour, you'll have plans to go to this or that place where they have an open mic that night. Just go into a local place or two, be open and friendly, and things will fall into place.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-22-2013 at 08:34 PM..

Old 11-22-2013, 10:33 PM

854 posts, read 1,977,004 times
Well, the DownEast, Alice's, BJ's, and Kharacters all have pretty regular stuff going on every week. There's also the Alibi and so on. Just call them up and ask!

Calendar page from Homer news:
What's Happening Homer Alaska
It says that there's an open mic Wednesdays at the DownEast, but you might want to call about that. The guy that runs it is supremely nice.
Down East Saloon
(I know their website isn't much, but it's a pretty great place).

Old 11-22-2013, 11:00 PM

Good point.

Pretty specific info I'm looking for.
I think what you suggested is what's going to happen.
I'll get out of my comfort zone, speak to people, go out for breakfast, lunch whatever.
Seems like you all think Homer is a good place to do that, and there is aren't many other places to get an opinion on that, other than going to Homer and trying it out myself.

thanks for the tip.

Thanks for chiming in bortstc37.
Good to know which spots to check out. Maybe I'll see you around in the 'real' world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I don't think it's that; there just aren't that many people (if any) your age who live in Homer here. Bortstc37 only seems to come on this forum sporadically.

It will happen like this: You'll go to Homer, and on your first or second morning there, you'll go out for coffee or breakfast, or maybe you'll go out for an evening meal or libation, and within an hour, you'll have plans to go to this or that place where they have an open mic that night. Just go into a local place or two, be open and friendly, and things will fall into place.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:05 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,868,522 times
Homer is a great town! They are extremely busy in the summer but off-season the town really pulls together for the locals. There is always something going on somewhere in Homer. They have a huge arts community so music, art, writing, performing or any of the arts has a lot of local participation.

Homer Council on the Arts

There is also the local UAA campus which has a lot going on in the winter, the museum, the ocean center, community theatre and many of the local businesses participate in local activities for off season. In the summer everyone is just to darn busy so they celebrate their community in the winter. Borstc37 gave you a good starting point for meeting up with people. Check out Three Sisters Bakery they are always packed year round, great place to meet people and only steps from the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska