Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 08:15 PM

623 posts, read 957,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
What's wrong with being out in the rain? Rain doesn't stop me from doing things outside where I am at, unless it is lightning out.

Ice storms and blizzards are a different story...
Yep, rain doesn't stop anyone. It's a glorified drizzle most of the time.

This past summer was incredible, but you never know what the weather will hold. Plan for drizzle, walk between the raindrops and go on with your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 08:26 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by takuriver View Post

This past summer was incredible, but you never know what the weather will hold. Plan for drizzle, walk between the raindrops and go on with your life.
I've never lived in Juneau, and I realize that it gets less rain than southern SE. Does it rain sideways in Juneau the way that it does down around Ketch. and POW?

Old 12-24-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I've never lived in Juneau, and I realize that it gets less rain than southern SE. Does it rain sideways in Juneau the way that it does down around Ketch. and POW?
Occasionally. Downtown or in Douglas it does. Precipitation varies dramatically with some parts of Juneau getting 40% less rain and much less wind than downtown.

I live on the northern part of Douglas Island where it's a bit drier, cooler and we have very little wind. Just depends where you live in town, there are microclimates that give you a very different experience. Most people live in the Mendenhall Valley with little wind, cooler climate and less precipitation as well.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:31 PM

854 posts, read 1,977,004 times
No, the rain never stopped me from doing anything when I lived down there. I walked to work every single day, no matter what. Work and daily things always got done (including dog walks, hikes, berry picking, some fishing). But when it was sunny, we could get the bikes out and ride out the road a ways, or fish more leisurely, or paddle around a lake, etc.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:13 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by takuriver View Post

It was a glorified drizzle when we were in Seward... Didn't stop us from doing anything - we still went on a dog sled ride. The sled was on wheels, we didn't do the glacier dog sled ride. Anyways, Sideways rain and howling wind, would have turned us to doing indoor activities in town. Just making sure I was understanding things correctly. Everything posted above sounds and seems normal to me.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:39 AM

Yeah, "sideways rain" is not the norm. It's pretty rare.

Downtown is much more windy than any other part of the city and it can get nasty with the Taku Winds in winter. The Taku Winds can have sustained winds of 60 plus MPH and reach over 100 MPH in town. It happens with high pressure, so no rain involved but blowing snow is a problem.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:43 AM

It's nice to know that Juneau doesn't get the strong wind/rain combination as badly as southern SE. What are the summers like?

A couple of years ago, it blew 60 mph on the 4th of July in Craig.

Old 12-25-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
It's nice to know that Juneau doesn't get the strong wind/rain combination as badly as southern SE. What are the summers like?

A couple of years ago, it blew 60 mph on the 4th of July in Craig.

Summers are like anywhere in S.E. Ak, you never know what you are going to get. In 2012, we skipped simmer and went straight to fall. This past summer was the sunniest of any I can remember. Beautiful weather.

Further north you go, in S.E. (Away from the outer coast) the drier it is. Even in Juneau you can have rain downtown, and sun on the North end of Douglas Island and north of the airport.

Here's a link for Juneau that's worth looking at. You can pick any city in the US, but it shows you a lot of information about available sun, types of precip etc. The information is for the airport, but there is such a variation here in town.

Average Weather For Juneau, Alaska, USA - WeatherSpark

Scroll down the page if you have time, there is some good information here.

Old 12-25-2013, 05:41 PM

We always know what kind of weather we're going to get in Southern SE Alaska during the summer -- crap. One year it rained so hard one morning that it knocked all the berries off the bushes before we could even get any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska