Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 12:24 PM

41 posts, read 58,980 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I've got a house in Fairbanks that I've been renting out since August. I had to leave the state to go to Louisiana for medical school. The problem I'm facing is that my tenants split up suddenly and the wife left with the kids. The husband is still there, and he hasn't been paying rent for the last two months. I'd like to evict him and sign on with a property management company so I can get someone else in there. The problem is that I'm busy with school and I can't return to Alaska until the summer. Is it going to be at all possible for me to handle the eviction without being there to do it? I'm at the point where I'd be willing to just pay the tenant to walk away, but he isn't returning my calls. Would I be better off just letting the tenant stay there until the summer and then try to evict him then? I'm worried that if I file for eviction he might just leave without telling me, letting the house will freeze up and the water pipes burst. What should I do? I'm new at being a landlord, and I only rented the house out because I couldn't sell it in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 12:50 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,606,265 times
I have never been in your situation, so this is only my first reaction of what would I do.

I would try to contract with a management company and have them handle the eviction and re-leasing. It might cost more than a contract with an empty property, but it would be worth it to have someone onsite to ensure the property safety during the eviction process if I couldnt be there.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:43 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
Ditto to what Johnrex62 said. Since you will need/want a management company anyways, just get them on board now. They may charge a fee to get rid of/evict the current tenant, plus an attorney will have fees too, and then afterward once it is rented they typical have a percent fee they charge to manage it, but in your case you really can't do it from afar.

Only reason I can recommend this, is that I have been looking at some investment properties to rent out. My realtor recommended going with a management company and some of the mgt. companies are full service. Meaning they don't just find you a tenant, they actually take care of the place for you and handle all tenant interactions for you. Of course you pay the "bills" to maintain it, but they make sure that the work is done, the pipes don't freeze, and that the people hired are licensed and insured. Just read the contract really, really well. I found some things I wasn't happy about and they were OK with changing it.

Unfortunately, I don't have any contacts in Fairbanks.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:11 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,935,073 times
If push come to shove, I know a guy. I'm just sayin'

Old 01-10-2014, 11:23 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
If push come to shove, I know a guy. I'm just sayin'
I agree with johnrex62 and Dakster, contact a property management company now so they can look after your investment. You can still make any payment arrangements you like with your tenet, but the management company will ensure that if he should leave without notice, your heat will not be turned off and your pipes will not freeze up.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:15 PM

879 posts, read 1,731,771 times
This is why it's always a bad idea to landlord from long distance. If you're not within driving distance, you don't have any control over what goes on. I'd never be interested in renting out a single family residence, ever. I have a friend who has a few houses, and it's a nightmare. Deadbeat tenants who are late or don't pay, repairs, evictions, etc. He's been shelling out huge amounts of cash for a decade or more. If he would have taken all that money paid to interest, repairs, maintenance, principle, etc., and stuck it under the mattress he'd likely be in a better financial position. That said, I'd talk to a property management company, too.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:06 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
NomadicBear - I wonder if a property management company that also screens applicants would have given your friend better luck. It seems like AK has some laws to actually help protect the "owner" and not just the "renter". Don't get me wrong, there are still plenty of protections for renters too. And of course you can always lose if you have a bad run of renters.

Unlike where I currently live where everything is setup for the benefit of the renter and basically nothing for the owner. (and I am not someone that is renting anything out, but thought of doing it)

Old 01-11-2014, 06:12 PM

41 posts, read 58,980 times
Okay, I'll talk with a property management company after the weekend. I never really wanted to rent the house anyhow. I was trying to sell it, but I had some foundation problems that I needed to fix first. I had to leave for the lower 48 a month after I got them resolved, and I didn't have time to find a buyer. A tenant was the next best thing. I knew renting from a long distance was going to be a hassle, but I never thought it would be this bad.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:55 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
Speak with prop management. You may need an attorney.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:32 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
The details about the Alaska law relating to tenant and landlord can be found here:
Alaska Uniform Residential Landlord & Tenant Act - Consumer Protection Laws
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska