Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 05:10 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times

Advertisements

I wish you the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 06:14 PM

45 posts, read 46,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckoceja4 View Post
I have been to Alaska before and have loved every minute of it and I am now at the right age to look for property, anybody have suggestions for me? What should I bring? What do I need right away there?
Money....transportation and a plan. Don't come here to scratch your head trying to figure out what to do next. Make up your mind what is that you wanna do up here and get solid informations how to go about it. Before you leave. People who rely on others to survive are called...suspicious. You come here, you better be prepared to stand on your own hind legs. Then you will meet people who will help you, because you are not a moocher.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:57 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,305,335 times
I moved from Florida to Homer briefly...... The lack of consistent sunshine can really play with your moods. Be careful , months of living in cloudy rainy weather is very different then Florida living.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:39 AM

284 posts, read 405,042 times
Me and the missus lived in Key Largo and commuted to Homestead for about a year and a half before moving back north. I hated pretty much most of the time there. People were not very nice there. Cost of living and groceries pretty comparable for us between here and there. Hunting in Alaska is not hunting in Florida! Always had to watch the ground down there, need to not always watch the ground up here!

Old 02-12-2014, 02:13 PM

37 posts, read 55,861 times
That's awesome thanks for the info guys, I am looking for some property with no house so I can slowly get used to being there while slowly building something, I found some property in talkeetna so I'm on my way to finding some nice places to start off

Old 02-12-2014, 02:24 PM

836 posts, read 1,662,237 times
I went Florida-Colorado-Alaska.

You're making the right move` - (might have to kick some butt in 'keetna though)

Have a great adventure!

Old 02-12-2014, 02:53 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,288,511 times
I moved up here from Tampa, and generally disagree with the usual advice to move to Anchorage first. There will be an adjustment period for sure, but Anchor Point is just outside Homer and close enough to Kenai and Soldotna. Up here, 5000 people is a decent-sized town, and you can always head up to Anchorage for stuff you can't get closer. It'll definitely be an adjustment, but that's what most people want when they move here, isn't it?

I don't know about moving straight into an off the grid, building your own house situation, but I'm sure it can be done if you have some skills and the brains and motivation to learn what you don't know already. A good attitude is going to help, and it's always good to have some skills to barter with. Always anticipate that your plans will take more time and money than you expected.

I don't know where Dakster is getting his ideas about winter being September to June on the Kenai Peninsula. Here's climate data from NOAA: Homer, Alaska - Wikipedia. Hopefully if you're serious about this you've already seen that, though. You can find more climate data here: National Weather Service Climate

Old 02-12-2014, 06:53 PM

Tigre - Sept. to June was what I was told to expect potential cold temps... Although lately your weather seems to be warmer than normal?

Old 02-12-2014, 08:48 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,288,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Tigre - Sept. to June was what I was told to expect potential cold temps... Although lately your weather seems to be warmer than normal?
I'm not counting this year. Of course January and February are winter regardless of the temps (it's 7F outside right now, btw). "Potential cold temps" depends greatly on what you consider "cold." I was cold on the night of July 4th my first trip up here, but that's sure not winter (it was probably 45F and I was a wimpy southerner). It depends a bit on location (and elevation, though that mostly applies to passes and hiking terrain), but on the road system and especially Southcentral I'd count on the potential for snow from October to early April. April can be quite warm if it's sunny, though (and if it's been snowy for 6 months and 40F seems warm). Best month of the year, I think. May and September can be variable, but mostly at least spring or autumn-like for most of those months.

I'd say generally November-February is Winter, April-May is Spring, June-July is Summer, and August-September is Autumn. March can go either way depending on the day, but is generally sunny and nice between snows. Look at average frost-free dates, historical temperatures, and snow depth data for a particular area if those things are a consideration for building plans, travel, etc.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:14 PM

right now for me 45 is cold. Thanks for your opinion the months and the seasons. I also do not have seasons where I live so I do not know what to expect during spring or fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska