Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 09:22 AM

45 posts, read 198,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Okay, maybe I'm just a few sandwiches short of a picnic here, but can someone please explain to me why we need to build a tunnel under the Behring Strait? This strikes me as a "because we can" sort of venture...
We can call it the "Tunnel to Nowhere".
I saw an article about this a few years ago. The idea is a railroad (and pipeline, and road) conection to Russia and across Russia into the EU. With other other conections we could have rail line from the south tip of South America to the south tip of Africa.

Is it a good idea or is it ever going to happen, I don't know, this is just what I read. BTW the article was in Popular Science, I belive.

Adam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 10:35 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awoods2 View Post
I saw an article about this a few years ago. The idea is a railroad (and pipeline, and road) conection to Russia and across Russia into the EU. With other other conections we could have rail line from the south tip of South America to the south tip of Africa.

Is it a good idea or is it ever going to happen, I don't know, this is just what I read. BTW the article was in Popular Science, I belive.

Adam
Yep. The idea was to build a railroad from St. George, BC, west to Nome, AK, and then under the Bering Strait. One of the problems is that Russia (and Siberia) use a different railroad gauge than Europe and the US. So you would have to switch trains in Siberia.

An interesting side note: The European and US railroad gauge (the width between rails) of 4 feet 8.5 inches originated from the width of Roman war chariots established by Julius Caesar. There is, of course, a lot more to the history of how the railroad gauge was established, but it can be traced back more than 2,000 years.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:39 AM

2,628 posts, read 6,888,143 times
How neat would that be to be able to drive to Paris? Unfortunately, with gas prices the way they are it would still be far cheaper to just take the plane.
If you had a lot of money, though, imagine the things you could see!

Old 12-05-2007, 11:03 AM

24,471 posts, read 26,003,936 times
An interesting side note: The European and US railroad gauge (the width between rails) of 4 feet 8.5 inches originated from the width of Roman war chariots established by Julius Caesar. There is, of course, a lot more to the history of how the railroad gauge was established, but it can be traced back more than 2,000 years. [/quote]

Not exactly true, but a good story. See what Snopes has to say on the subject.

http://www.snopes.com/history/american/gauge.asp

Old 12-05-2007, 11:32 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
I really couldn't care less if they build the Bering Strait tunnel or not, just adding a railroad that goes from Canada all the way to Nome would open up a great deal of western Alaska that is currently very difficult to access except by barge or plane.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:10 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,033,517 times
I hear the Russians are almost done with the tunnel, but they're not going to tell us about it until after they bust out with their tanks etc..somewhere East of Nome.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:25 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,373,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
I hear the Russians are almost done with the tunnel, but they're not going to tell us about it until after they bust out with their tanks etc..somewhere East of Nome.
This would make a great setting for a re-make of the 1962 comic movie "The Russians are coming, the Russians are coming" which starred Alan Arkin and a cast of dozens of others.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:17 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,228,708 times
Jonathon Winters comes to mind.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:37 PM

201 posts, read 823,117 times
I thought for sure this was going to involve the old "I have a bridge to sell you" punchline...

As far as 50 mile length... difficult but I bet it's do-able. The Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel was built in the 60s and it is nearly 20 miles! I think the elements would be the obstacle, and one that won't be fixed until the plates shift enough to move Alaska several latitudes south.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:33 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
As many earthquakes we have a day...I ain't getting in that thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska