Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 09:11 PM

38 posts, read 94,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
That's not it. At.all.

I'm never "doing anything," but I sometimes get annoyed at the TSA in the airports, and it's easy for me to understand how those with anxiety issues could find the whole ordeal excruciating.
This^^^is it exactly. Add a seizure disorder on top of that, and you can see why I've added Amtrak to my top travel sites. I just can't handle the stress of the increased airport security. I'm glad I'm not alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 10:29 PM

460 posts, read 609,742 times
I have dealt w/TSA and have real problems w/them. I get things confiscated at one airport, yet they let them go at another airport. They are clueless when it comes to shipping luggage that is not personal goods (clothing, toiletries, ect.) You can't insure it, and if it is lost (stolen) , you are out of luck.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:11 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,861,831 times
Sorry hippyman that you have difficulty with the security screening. That can't be fun. Peace brother.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:42 PM

575 posts, read 1,199,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman51 View Post
I have dealt w/TSA and have real problems w/them. I get things confiscated at one airport, yet they let them go at another airport. They are clueless when it comes to shipping luggage that is not personal goods (clothing, toiletries, ect.) You can't insure it, and if it is lost (stolen) , you are out of luck.
I flew from Anchorage to Kodiak two years ago and cleared Anchorage TSA Security with an oversized bottle of hand lotion (I didn't know it was in my backpack). On the return from Kodiak is when I found out I had the bottle...TSA in little ol' Kodiak discovered it!

Old 03-23-2014, 12:35 PM

468 posts, read 800,053 times
I have anxiety and I agree, getting through security can be difficult. It is compounded by my daughter's liquid medication that we carry on. It guarantees that we will be treated to a more 'personal' touch. I like TSA in Anchorage much more than in Fairbanks. Barrow has also been pretty awesome.

Last edited by Lunabell; 03-23-2014 at 12:53 PM..

Old 03-23-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunabell View Post
I have anxiety and I agree, getting through security can be difficult. It is compounded by my daughter's liquid medication that we carry on. It guarantees that we will be treated to a more 'personal' touch. I like TSA in Anchorage much more than in Fairbanks. Barrow has also been pretty awesome.
Normally, I just avoid flying altogether, I opt for a more relaxing(for me) form of travel. However, up there, I'm wondering how often that will be possible.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:07 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,694,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippyman View Post
Normally, I just avoid flying altogether, I opt for a more relaxing(for me) form of travel. However, up there, I'm wondering how often that will be possible.
It's just part of life here. In the grand scheme of things the TSA experience is miniscule. Don't give it that much power over your life. I personally think the whole TSA thing is a farce. I get that personal touch every single time I go through. I've got bullet fragments in my left leg that always show up on the full body xray thing. Some of the agents get excitied about it asking me what I have up my pants legs. Others, well, they just do the pat down search of my right leg cause they don't know what they are doing. Oh well. I just wish Alaska Airlines still handed out free meals and complimentary wine.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
It's just part of life here. In the grand scheme of things the TSA experience is miniscule. Don't give it that much power over your life. I personally think the whole TSA thing is a farce. I get that personal touch every single time I go through. I've got bullet fragments in my left leg that always show up on the full body xray thing. Some of the agents get excitied about it asking me what I have up my pants legs. Others, well, they just do the pat down search of my right leg cause they don't know what they are doing. Oh well. I just wish Alaska Airlines still handed out free meals and complimentary wine.
I have a feeling I'm going to be traveling a lot more by boat, or some other option. Its not just the TSA thing, I've never felt that comfortable on airlines.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:38 PM

468 posts, read 800,053 times
I am terrified of flying but it is a part of life. I wouldn't have been able to easily get to our village on the slope if I had been unwilling to fly. I supposed I could have snow machined across the tundra but that would have been insane with three kids and two dogs in tow. You just kind of have to get over it and do it in order to get to a lot of places in AK.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunabell View Post
I am terrified of flying but it is a part of life. I wouldn't have been able to easily get to our village on the slope if I had been unwilling to fly. I supposed I could have snow machined across the tundra but that would have been insane with three kids and two dogs in tow. You just kind of have to get over it and do it in order to get to a lot of places in AK.
I'm not saying I wont, I'm just saying that whenever I can, I prefer not to fly...large airlines, at least(I'm weird like that, I know.) I have checked out the road system on the island, and I am glad to see that it connects with the marine highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska