Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 03:56 PM

468 posts, read 800,053 times

Advertisements

I totally get what you mean. I will do anything to avoid a plane. I have been known to take week long road trips to avoid a plane. Unfortunately, it just isn't as easy to avoid them here. At least you do have a boat option where you will be going. I would have loved to have had that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 04:38 PM

38 posts, read 94,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunabell View Post
I totally get what you mean. I will do anything to avoid a plane. I have been known to take week long road trips to avoid a plane. Unfortunately, it just isn't as easy to avoid them here. At least you do have a boat option where you will be going. I would have loved to have had that.
That was one huge factor in choosing that locale. The strange thing is, I don't mind the small planes(ala bush planes), it's the big aircraft that bother me. It may have something to do with the altitude and my injury, idk.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:50 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,522,496 times
I just find it annoying. I'm not worried I am doing something wrong... I find the whole idea of commercial flying in a busy airport a big, gigantic headache and a pain. I only get a little anxious when my own instincts tell me the person in front of me if being suspicious and they don't check him or her well. And then, of course, I get on the plane with that person... You almost want to scream out, hey don't you think you could check that person a little better? But then of course you end up in the small interrogation room.

TSA is in a difficult position with a no-win outcome possible. You check everyone and it is annoying and a hassle, but don't check the one person that hijacks a plane and you lose there as well. I really don't blame them, I blame the terrorists who made this happen.

I hear you on the meds Lunabell - the airline lost our luggage with my wife's insulin and extra supplies in it for her insulin pump. And then was upset because they had to drive it to us when it came in late on a Friday night and not on Monday. They said you should carry-on medical supplies, to which I replied tell that to the TSA then. She had her immediate needs medicine on her, which is just under the limit. It was the following days meds and supplies that were packed. Yes - There was a pharmacy and in a pinch we could have gotten insulin - so it isn't like we don't have a backup plan. (and for our drive to/from AK we got injectible insulin and a box of needles so if we broke down in the middle of nowhere or got snowed in, she had extra supplies.)

Old 03-23-2014, 09:03 PM

468 posts, read 800,053 times
You can take more than the allowable limit when it comes to medical supplies on planes if you get it cleared at the TSA checkpoint. When we were in the village, I had to fly down out to get my daughter's entire liquid Trileptal order from Target (got her doc to call in a new script to them) because we had a screw up with our mail order supplier. She takes it for seizures so we cannot go without. TSA let me carry on the entire order. I couldn't even let them open all the bottles to test them because it only has a 7 week life once unsealed and this was a three month supply. Luckily, that was printed on the packaging. They were very accommodating and we just had to jump through some extra security hoops to do it.

I am glad the airlines were able to get you her supplies. Dealing with insulin issues is no joke.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:41 PM

460 posts, read 609,742 times
Planes in the smaller communities (at least here) tend to be more accommodating. Not only that, I am able to check in around an hour before flight time and in my village, when you see the plane fly overhead to land, that is when you go back to get in line.

Last edited by keyman51; 03-24-2014 at 10:41 PM.. Reason: emoticon wrong

Old 03-24-2014, 10:57 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,694,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman51 View Post
Planes in the smaller communities (at least here) tend to be more accommodating. Not only that, I am able to check in around an hour before flight time and in my village, when you see the plane fly overhead to land, that is when you go back to get in line.
Isn't that the truth. I remember when they had some flights come into Wainwright and the runway lights didn't come on. They called us and me and the Cape Smythe agent went up and parked our Big Red's on opposite ends of the runway with the lights on so they could land. Another time they kinda overloaded the plane and the tailend sunk and the front tire came off of the ground. Instead of unloading the plane we just pushed back up on the tail until the pilot got the engine going and he powered out. Crazy stuff went on back then.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:43 PM

3 posts, read 4,530 times
Ditto what hogfamily says upthread. Whatcha so nervous about? Bush pilots can smoke out that kind of fear...

Old 03-31-2014, 11:27 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,694,870 times
I still have nightmares sometimes about the sound of the floats on the floatplane hitting the tops of those trees. How we survived that I do not know. But I'd crawl back in one tomorrow and do it all over again.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:40 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,425,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippyman View Post
This may be a stupid question, but please bear with me. It has been almost 10 years since I've last been up, so alot has changed. I was wondering: When flying via bush plane, not by airline, is a standard security screening required? I gave up flying b/c of the invasive security measures at the airports down in the lower 48, so I'm hoping I can avoid that if possible.
I fly Era or PenAir whenever possible because I think the TSA should eat a d*ck.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:54 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
If you are not doing something you should not do you should have no worries no matter where you are.
So you think only criminals have the right to privacy?

Apparently you think everyone is worthy of suspicion until proven otherwise.

Was that not the mantra of the fascist NAZI Germans?

Since the federal government has access to every email you have ever written and every phone call you have ever made, it is almost certain that they could find something you have done which violates a provision in the 27,000 pages of federal statues or 10,000 administrative regulations. You probably do have something to hide, you just do not know it yet.

People who think that "if you have nothing to hide, then you have nothing to fear" should be the very first people thrown into prison because they are clearly too stupid to function in a free society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska