Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2014, 11:08 PM

16 posts, read 33,332 times

Advertisements

Hello Alaskans,

I am considering taking a job in Soldotna, AK. I plan to visit the area before making any decisions, but I would like to get a general idea of the community before I take the next step. I’ll post a blurb on myself, and a list of a few questions to keep it simple. I apologize in advance for any questions that are terribly ignorant.

Us: My husband and I are your typical outdoor folk, we don’t need much to be comfortable and aren’t members of the finer things club. We have spent the last several years moving around the US for school. We’re pretty relaxed, laid back folks and can get along with just about anyone without much trouble. We prefer spending our free time exploring new places and meeting new people. We don’t currently have children, but hope to start a family soon. My husband is an avid fly-fisherman and will likely keep plenty busy fishing the Kenai. As for myself, I’m more of an adrenaline junkie and prefer downhill mountain-biking, rock climbing or alpine skiing. We have a pack of dogs that keep us smiling, and thankfully love exploring as much as we do.

Questions:
1. What general information can you tell me about the Kenai Peninsula, particularly Kenai and Soldotna? (people, schools, hospital, community vibe (active or quiet), crime/drugs?
2. I enjoy the sun shining down on my face and understand I will have to part ways with it for about 4 months of the year, but is often overcast and raining during the spring/summer/fall?
3. As I mentioned, we have dogs that we love dearly. 2 of these dogs are adventurous Chihuahuas (go ahead, laugh) and the other is a Border Collie.
a. What precautions would we have to take to keep the Chihuahuas from being mauled by the plentiful predators in the area? Could they roam freely in a fenced-in backyard safely? Could we ever let them go hiking off-leash in the woods?
b. Would the Border Collie be able to hike off-leash in the woods or do we have to worry about predators and traps?
4. How far will I have to trek to find downhill mountain-biking, alpine skiing or rock climbing? I would love to take up backcountry skiing after I’ve completed some coursework on avalanche safety.
a. How feasible is it to drive over the Alyeska after a fresh dump of snow?
5. What outdoor activities are common on the Kenai Peninsula, besides fishing?
6. If Kenai/Soldotna doesn’t sound like a good place for us, where in AK would you recommend?

I appreciate any information/advice you have to offer, I’ll be sure to buy you a beer when I get up there.

Take care
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 11:22 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,821,950 times
I think you'll like it. You will have plenty of those outdoor activities mentioned above. Lot's of trails, rivers, lakes. Highways are no problem to drive on in winter. You might want to invest in a boat, kayak or canoe too! Your dogs will have no problem...but the little ones could be eagle fodder in areas like Homer!

Old 03-23-2014, 11:41 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,614,247 times
This thread here might have some good info:
//www.city-data.com/forum/alask...tennessee.html

Old 03-23-2014, 11:52 PM

854 posts, read 1,977,731 times
There are some skiing trails around Soldotna, but they aren't alpine trails.
If there is good snow, you won't be driving over the Alyeska, but you will be driving through Turnagain Pass in order to get to Alyeska, which could be questionable, depending on how much snow there is and how long they've had to deal with it.
If your dogs obey voice commands, you shouldn't have any trouble with them being off-leash. Just be noisy in the woods in general.
As for sun, that's kind of unpredictable. It can be overcast a lot or a little, depending on the year and the season and all that.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:20 AM

863 posts, read 2,077,507 times
Sounds like a good fit in general. Probably the biggest issue will be the cloudy, drizzly weather, which is common, even in the summer. If that's a really big problem, perhaps look into Fairbanks, which is sunnier and about 10 degrees warmer in the summer, but realize you will be sacrificing the best fishing, downhill skiing, and mountain scenery.

Also, rock climbing. Alaska is not known for having good sport climbing, both because of mostly lousy rock, and due to lack of development and interest. Still, there is some. A guidebook was published a few years ago simply called "Alaska Rock Climbing." Of course, we have some of the best alpine climbing and backcountry skiing in the world. All in all, you will find plenty to do on the Kenai.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:57 PM

16 posts, read 33,332 times
Thanks for the input, folks. I really appreciate your help. I think my hobbies of interest will have to be adjusted a bit after the move, but that doesn't bother me much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska