Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 02:46 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times

Advertisements

I like Delta and always enjoy my time there. It's not the bush by any means, nor a particularly small or rustic a town by Alaska standards - the basic amenities are readily available. However, if someone is accustomed to cities or is expecting city resources, living contentedly in Delta will require a major mindset adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosesforthedead View Post
1. Is this a "growing" area? I am a clinical laboratory scientist, and it is absolutely critical that I am able to work in my career field. I understand that there is one clinic, but not sure if there is actual lab work or if all that stuff gets sent out to a larger metropolitan area such as Fairbanks. Is it feasible to commute to Fairbanks for work?
No. Fairbanks is not a feasible commute for a daily job.

There are medical services in Delta and I know the clinic does at least some of their lab work in-house, but bear in mind that these are small facilities and therefore you're looking at a handful of specialized job slots at best.

Quote:
2. Is there a good, experienced veterinarian in the area? I have a ferret with "special needs" (ie: she has cancer and requires specialized veterinary care with access to her existing medications.) We are not willing to move somewhere that she will be deprived of the care she needs, nor are we willing to put her life in the hands of someone who is inexperienced in exotic veterinary medicine. We would be willing to drive to Fairbanks to get her appropriate care as needed.
The vet in Delta is excellent but I don't think he does much with exotics. There are a couple of good exotics vets in Fairbanks.

Quote:
3. How is the internet situation? Husband and I are avid gamers (mostly World of Warcraft), and as such, require high speed internet. You can't really game on a dial up connection.
There's DSL or cell-based service if you live right in town, but it's only high-speed in the "well, it's not dial-up, at least" sense.

Quote:
4. How is the rental market? I've looked at the Delta News website and it looks sparse, to say the least. We would not be interested in living in a 'remote' location (I know, I know. Delta Junction IS remote.. but we would at least like to be located in whatever small town there is in the area.)
Housing prices tend to be inflated due to a handful of employers blowing up the market. There are always rentals available, so you're not going to end up homeless, it's just a question of whether there are rentals available at the price you want to pay and with the conditions you want. Realistically your housing search is probably going to be complicated by having not only a pet, but a pet that's not the usual "cats okay, with deposit" pet, as there aren't a ton of landlords right of properties right in town to choose from and most of them aren't what you'd call desperate to fill vacancies.

Quote:
5. Is this area safe to live in? (In terms of crime, wildlife, etc)
It depends what you mean by "safe." Wildlife is fine if you know how to be around wildlife. People are no worse than anywhere else, but bear in mind that the response time from the troopers can be astronomical and there are no local police. Probably the more pressing danger to the average transplant is the winter road conditions and temps.

Quote:
6. In the event that I am unable to find work, is it doable to live here with only one income? My husband will be working on a missile defense project at Fort Greely, so the pay is decent. However, I'm not sure how decent it really is when you consider the increased cost of living in Alaska.
People of course get by on a lot less than what you're talking about. But the people that do that tend to both practice austerity and have practical skills and knowledge that save money. It's certainly doable but it's work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 01:08 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Very good response from you, Frostnip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska