Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 09:24 AM

284 posts, read 405,133 times

Advertisements

I drive a truck simply because of clearance and I do haul wood. I wouldn't have it any other way. We don't get the amount of snow down this way as Anchorage does but 4wheel drive comes in handy anyway. I agree with Takuriver.
I do remember driving up to Wasilla from Anchorage and seeing a guy decapitated after hitting a moose back in 1999 I believe, and he was driving a 1-ton pick-up. Actually, we've seen several of those type accidents and them little cars usually fair much worse than a pick-up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 12:28 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,617,571 times
This weekend I used my truck to haul a lawn mower to a friend, and pick up a bunch of tools I bought off Craigslist.
But then again, what is to you what I choose to drive? It's legally licensed and insured. I stick to the laws as I drive. Are you so insecure in yourself that you are intimidated by what I drive?
And how is someone mishandling a truck any different than someone mishandling a crotch rocket and weaving in and out of traffic? Or someone in a piece of crap car doing 38 MPH in the fast lane on the highway? Or someone in a hopped up rice burner trying to race down 5th Avenue.
How about you spend little more time worrying about yourself and little less time frettin' & fussin' over others.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:54 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,229,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
This weekend I used my truck to haul a lawn mower to a friend, and pick up a bunch of tools I bought off Craigslist.
But then again, what is to you what I choose to drive? It's legally licensed and insured. I stick to the laws as I drive. Are you so insecure in yourself that you are intimidated by what I drive?
And how is someone mishandling a truck any different than someone mishandling a crotch rocket and weaving in and out of traffic? Or someone in a piece of crap car doing 38 MPH in the fast lane on the highway? Or someone in a hopped up rice burner trying to race down 5th Avenue.
How about you spend little more time worrying about yourself and little less time frettin' & fussin' over others.
Because huge trucks have alot more mass and can injure and kill people alot easier. Its the reason the state requires CDL's for semi's and box trucks etc. The only reason F250/350/450 and motor homes get a pass is because of the automotive lobby. There is no technical reason why a CDL should not be required to drive those vehicals but then ford/etc would loose sales.

The F150 is kind of a grey area since Ford does not make mid size trucks anymore but the new aluminum body style should help reduce fatalities and increase gas milage in teh 2015s.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:54 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Because huge trucks have alot more mass and can injure and kill people alot easier. Its the reason the state requires CDL's for semi's and box trucks etc. The only reason F250/350/450 and motor homes get a pass is because of the automotive lobby. There is no technical reason why a CDL should not be required to drive those vehicals but then ford/etc would loose sales.
Wrong

Quote:
A commercial driver license (CDL) is required for a resident of Alaska who is driving a vehicle intrastate (19 & above) or interstate (21 & above) with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more. If you will be driving a vehicle designed to carry 16 or more passengers, or transporting hazardous materials, regardless of the GVWR, a CDL is required. A commercial driver may have only one license and that license must be issued by their home state. Those exempted from the commercial driver licensing requirements include drivers of recreational, military and emergency vehicles. Farm vehicles are exempt if controlled and operated by a farmer, used to transport agricultural products or machinery to and from a farm, not used in for-hire or contract carrier operations, and if driven no further than 150 miles from the farm.
Commercial Drivers License

Old 04-28-2014, 04:35 PM

681 posts, read 1,207,531 times
Quote:

The F150 is kind of a grey area since Ford does not make mid size trucks anymore but the new aluminum body style should help reduce fatalities and increase gas milage in teh 2015s.
Sounds like a bunch of crap to me! And, FYI, I do have a big, carbon-spewing diesel 92 Dodge pickup that I drive on occasion, but don't feel any more or any less threatened when I drive my Subaru...which is most of the time.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:36 PM

7,542 posts, read 17,241,244 times
My family only owns one car (a 2011 Subaru Outback) but I don't question the reasons why so many people here in the South drive big trucks.

Even the big haired blond suburban ladies driving their F 250s, heck, maybe they just have their husband's truck out for the day?

Now, I can kinda see where you're coming from on the Hummers etc. Most folks don't need those guys, and they're not really great at hauling stuff either. But I digress...

Old 04-28-2014, 08:37 PM

I think it should straight up be based on weight and the weight should be reduced to capture those huge trucks. Its not about why someone should need to drive it but the fact that more mass equals more damage in an accident for the person these huge vehicals hit. If your a blond soccar mom and want to drive a huge SUV or F250 then you should have to get a CDL then your good to go, if your not competent enough to get a CDL then no you should not be driving such a huge vehical.

I dont care about the carbon or why you need it. I think there are way too many incompetent people driving huge vehicals that have a much greater chance of hurting someone else in a crash. If you want to drive a 60k truck because you have a napolian complex and no practical purpose go for it but you should be held to a higher standard of competance.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:57 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Quote:
I think it should straight up be based on weight and the weight should be reduced to capture those huge trucks. Its not about why someone should need to drive it but the fact that more mass equals more damage in an accident for the person these huge vehicals hit. If your a blond soccar mom and want to drive a huge SUV or F250 then you should have to get a CDL then your good to go, if your not competent enough to get a CDL then no you should not be driving such a huge vehical.

I dont care about the carbon or why you need it. I think there are way too many incompetent people driving huge vehicals that have a much greater chance of hurting someone else in a crash. If you want to drive a 60k truck because you have a napolian complex and no practical purpose go for it but you should be held to a higher standard of competance.
That makes no sense, highlife

There are very small vehicles that weight more than a F-250 or F-350. For example, some medium size forklifts, some of which are road drivable, weight a lot more than a lot of trucks. This weight is needed to counterbalance the load up in front. Also, since there are more cars than trucks on the roads, it should come to mind that there are more incompetent car drivers than truck drivers. Don't you think so?

People aren't driving trucks just to crush small cars. In fact, most accidents involve cars than trucks because there are more cars on the road. Then you have to take into consideration that if car drivers want truck drivers to attain a CDL because trucks are bigger than cars, where does that leave motorcycle drivers? Should the latter request that car drivers attain a CDL because cars are bigger than motorcycles?

The rules relating to driver's licenses have been established already as you can see posted by Warpt above.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:49 PM

I don't see warpt posts lol. So what about adopt European standards to get a license to slash the number of motorists in half.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:16 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,617,571 times
Quote:
if your not competent enough to get a CDL then no you should not be driving such a huge vehical.
Okay... Grammar and spelling mistakes aside; I'm guessing you have no clue what is involved in getting a CDL... I had a Class "B" CDL with air brakes and passenger endorsement for 12 years for driving school bus.
The stuff on the CDL test covers stuff related to driving a commercial vehicle... Mainly your pretrip, loading & securing cargo, the rules concern hazardous material, transporting passengers, air brakes, and driving a combination vehicle (tractor/trailer).
None of that is going to be applicable to a guy in a F-250. You can see for yourself here: http://doa.alaska.gov/dmv/dlmanual/cdlmanual.pdf

Listen, a bad driver is a bad driver. It doesn't matter if they are in a big truck or a tiny car. If you can't drive, then you can't drive and you shouldn't be on the road in anything.

How about instead of just renewing your license every four years, how about making people retake the written and the driving test? I read a study a few years ago that an insurance company did. They took 1,000 adults that had been driving at least 15 years and had them take the written and driving test. Something like 60% failed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska