Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 10:17 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,518,260 times

Advertisements

Met - What do you think of "chain gangs" - obviously not done the same way as was done in years past. Here we use State Prisoners to clean the highways... And there is one prison that operates a dry cleaning business. Not for person-use, more for businesses that need commercial dry cleaning like hotels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 10:52 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Met - What do you think of "chain gangs" - obviously not done the same way as was done in years past. Here we use State Prisoners to clean the highways... And there is one prison that operates a dry cleaning business. Not for person-use, more for businesses that need commercial dry cleaning like hotels.
I don't know. The DMV in Oregon is largely staffed by inmates of the women's prison, which seems like a good idea until you factor in that this took a lot of jobs away from the citizens of Salem.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:54 AM

They used to make license plates here... But no more, automated now.

No one wants to pick up highway trash for less that it costs to run some prisoners up and down the highways. So no job losses on that end. The only people getting paid are the corrections officers.

In some way, prisoners should help pay for the cost of incarceration even if it does take away some entry level jobs.

It isn't an easy question to answer. And some of it depends on what is going in the local community. As in some smaller towns, maybe the locals would want a job cleaning up a park or a roadside because without it, there isn't anything else.

And obviously only certain inmates should be used. As Johnny Lifer has a huge incentive to break out.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:31 PM

325 posts, read 576,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
What a dumb idea.
You have a better one?

You probably rather have them lounging around in prison for the rest of their lives - on your taxpaying dime?

Old 05-13-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieJensen View Post
You have a better one?

You probably rather have them lounging around in prison for the rest of their lives - on your taxpaying dime?
Yeah this works for me much better than turning them loose with ammo in foreign countries. A lot of the front lines that you speak of contain significant numbers of children and other innocents.

I imagine that your plan would also serve to escalate international tensions to the extent that yet even more of my tax dimes were going toward scrapping for patches of oil in some desert on the other side of the world. No thanks.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
They used to make license plates here... But no more, automated now.

No one wants to pick up highway trash for less that it costs to run some prisoners up and down the highways. So no job losses on that end. The only people getting paid are the corrections officers.

In some way, prisoners should help pay for the cost of incarceration even if it does take away some entry level jobs.

It isn't an easy question to answer. And some of it depends on what is going in the local community. As in some smaller towns, maybe the locals would want a job cleaning up a park or a roadside because without it, there isn't anything else.

And obviously only certain inmates should be used. As Johnny Lifer has a huge incentive to break out.
It really isn't something I think much about. The only people I know who have been in jail are a couple of seiners who gave into temptation and ran drugs out of SE Asia or such such dumbass thing. They were featured on a PBS program and spent 10 or so years in club Fed.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieJensen View Post
You have a better one?

IMHO, There is a difference between turning them loose with guns in a foreign country and having them do "work" or labor in the USA.

I don't know how I feel about the former, but the latter I don't have a problem with.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:33 PM

We'd also be putting our own service men and women at risk by adopting the foreign solution.

A lot of things that may sound good while in the ideation phase really aren't terribly practical.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:28 AM

325 posts, read 576,902 times
Keep US troops here in America to protect us and our borders. Put our "mercs" - prisoners to work overseas. What's the worst that could happen to them? Death, dismemberment, torture - yes, the reason they were imprisoned!

Old 05-14-2014, 08:33 AM

How about going over to the other side only to attack the US again? How about attacking a neutral country only to have them become our enemy?

That is just two bad outcomes off the top of my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska