Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 02:58 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,475,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStraight View Post
We'll all just go back to riding horses and horse-pulled buggies, wouldn't we? No gasoline/fuel emmissions from vehicles & machineries. Will be good for the environment, I suppose. Well...almost. Don't forget the stuff horses emit as they move about. But that's probably more environmentally friendly than carbon monoxide.
Did you know that automobiles were considered a healthier alternative than horses when they were introduced. See URBAN POLLUTION-Many long years ago - CARRIAGE HORSE History - Coalition for New York City Animals for a very interesting historical perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 05:52 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Smoking cigarettes at one point was considered a healthy activity too.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:57 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,624,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Smoking cigarettes at one point was considered a healthy activity too.
Drinking alcohol was, too

Old 05-27-2014, 08:22 PM

JDHPA, Wait... It isn't?

Old 05-31-2014, 04:44 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
I'm not worried about the oil running out , I'm worried about the pipeline failing from corrosion and being condemned by the EPA. It's costs and permits would be far to costly and the oil companies would just walk away.

They are suppose to remove all the oil field buildings and such, but I really don't see that happening. They will give a grant of hundreds of millions of dollars (Cheaper than removal) to the State and Native Corps and call it a "Park" or something else and it will rust into obscurity.

But within a month (or less), of the announcement of the closure, all hell will break loose and it will be a race to the boarder. It will make the mid 1980's look like massive prosperity!

There is pools of oil being discovered all over the World, Alaska will just be bypassed outside of the of Cook Inlet Wells, the rest will be too costly to bring to market.

They have already bickered the Gas pipeline away to history since the world is now awash in that as well. There is none to little chance a gas line will be built other than maybe a smaller line to Fairbanks which would be heavily subsidized. But by the time they do that the people will be headed out the door anyway.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:49 AM

You paint such a pretty picture starlite9.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:14 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
You paint such a pretty picture starlite9.
Starlite9 made a good point. Without oil it would be extremely difficult to live in Alaska. The cost of living is just too high, since everything must be brought in from the lower-48 and overseas. There is a little agriculture taking place during the summer, but the growing season is very short.

Food prices at the local supermarkets have been going up, and I heard on the news that this is the case throughout the US. Anyway, my wife shops around for foods that are on sale at Fred Meyer and Safeway:

Fred Meyer

18-eggs on sale....................$2.50 carton
16oz Kroger cheese on sale....$4.00
Roma tomatoes.....................$1.99 LB
Red onion.............................$1.79 LB
Yellow onion..........................$1.29 LB
White nectarine.....................$2.98 LB
Broccoli (non-organic)............$2.39 LB
Bananas...............................$ .89 LB
Fred's milk............................$3.39 gal.
Tillamook ice cream................$4.99 - $1.00 with coupon
Fred's mayo...........................$2.99 on sale
Olives, (Pearl)........................$1.67 on sale -$1.25 with coupon

Safeway

Green leaf lettuce $2.49
Rasberry $7.99 (12 ounces)
Blueberries $6.00 (18 ounces)

The Fred Meyer and Safeway brand foods cost nearly the same as in the lower-48 (at least that's what I have been told), which is a good thing for us in Alaska. But if we run out of fuel bringing these and other products to Alaska would be quite expensive. Right now a gallon of gasoline in Fairbanks costs around $3.80+, and in North Pole around .12-cents more.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:21 AM

Ray - EXTREMELY comparable to what we pay in Miami... And obviously your coupon and on sales prices are lower. But we have sales and coupons here too.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:28 AM

854 posts, read 1,977,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
I'm not worried about the oil running out , I'm worried about the pipeline failing from corrosion and being condemned by the EPA. It's costs and permits would be far to costly and the oil companies would just walk away.

They are suppose to remove all the oil field buildings and such, but I really don't see that happening. They will give a grant of hundreds of millions of dollars (Cheaper than removal) to the State and Native Corps and call it a "Park" or something else and it will rust into obscurity.

But within a month (or less), of the announcement of the closure, all hell will break loose and it will be a race to the boarder. It will make the mid 1980's look like massive prosperity!

There is pools of oil being discovered all over the World, Alaska will just be bypassed outside of the of Cook Inlet Wells, the rest will be too costly to bring to market.

They have already bickered the Gas pipeline away to history since the world is now awash in that as well. There is none to little chance a gas line will be built other than maybe a smaller line to Fairbanks which would be heavily subsidized. But by the time they do that the people will be headed out the door anyway.
I wouldn't be so sure about the world being awash in gas.
RIGZONE - US Shale Debt Increases as Drillers Push to Maintain Gains

Profit margin is actually negative on shale gas (which is where everyone seems to think the big remaining reserves are) for independent producers--they spend $1.50 for every dollar they make. Looks like only the big companies will be able to make money, and even their margin is small (but maybe not negative, like the independents).

Old 06-01-2014, 02:44 PM

I didn't think business did things that didn't make money or they are in the game so that when things change they will make money.... But how long can the bleeding of cash reserves go on? (assuming this is true)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska