Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 02:49 PM

277 posts, read 227,846 times

Advertisements

Hey, does anyone in Alaska believe that America is Babylon the Harlot of Revelation?

If you do, I have a few questions. I am considering a move to Alaska and need would like some more information. Are there any good Christian 'off the grid' communities up there? ( not cult like) but people who live according to the word of God because they believe it. America is going to suffer God's judgment soon and I don't think it a coincidence that around the same time America started to change,we acquired Alaska for 2 cents an acre...I think AK might still be a place Christians can move to and live a Godly lifestyle...Thus far, it appears that most of Alaska has not suffered the same level of moral corruption as the lower 48... It also looks like most of AK is still fairly pristine, people still know how to work hard, how to live off the land, and are even willing to help those they don't know. Am I wrong on those things or is that a fair assessment?

Any one else out there that is like minded please chime in and give your thoughts! I am looking for other Christians who believe America is Babylon and are trying to figure out what to do now...For those of you who do not believe the Bible is true, I urge you to go read this thread and give it some serious consideration.. https://www.city-data.com/forum/christianity/2182316-america-babylon.html#post36084919

The Town Crier
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 03:33 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
LOL. You've been watching too many "shows," buddy.

If you think that most people in Alaska know how to "live off the land," well...

Old 08-14-2014, 03:40 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,838 times
And I'd say "off the grid" separated intentional communities are pretty much cult status. Whateverbtye ideology.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:59 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,028 times
The Mt. Bether community on Game Creek near Hoonah, Alaska might be what you are looking for. The locals call it "The Farm".
There's not a lot of web links that I can provide, other than a blog post from a former resident: http://wildernessblues.blogspot.com/...reek-2011.html

Old 08-14-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
LOL. You've been watching too many "shows," buddy.

If you think that most people in Alaska know how to "live off the land," well...

I don't watch TV chief...

I am suggesting that outside of the 'cities' people still grow gardens, raise chickens and cows, they still hunt and fish, and probably know how to can and dry meats/vegetables... Is everyone in Alaska really in bondage to 'supermarkets'? Is everything they eat processed and boxed? If so that is really sad to hear.

TC

Old 08-14-2014, 04:09 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
I grow my own Cranes...

I plant them every spring, delicious!

Old 08-14-2014, 04:12 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Town Crier View Post
I don't watch TV chief...

I am suggesting that outside of the 'cities' people still grow gardens, raise chickens and cows, they still hunt and fish, and probably know how to can and dry meats/vegetables... Is everyone in Alaska really in bondage to 'supermarkets'? Is everything they eat processed and boxed? If so that is really sad to hear.

TC
Nope, you're just applying -48 standards to Alaska.

Your cows are going to starve unless you have a way to import hay and other food for them. You won't be able to grow enough. Chickens are going to need excess food as well. Gardens -- some people grow pretty good hobby gardens in Alaska, but I wouldn't advise trying to grow enough food for the family or livestock. BTW, you'd be better off hunting moose or caribou for meat than raising cattle. Most of Alaska also doesn't have much grazing for cows. There's some agriculture in Alaska, but most of it just isn't cut out for a Little House on the Prairie scenario.

The way to "live off the land" in Alaska is to literally "live off the land" by taking what it offers, and that can only be done in certain parts of the state. There's a reason why interior Natives were nomadic...

You don't have to play farmer to avoid supermarkets, btw.

Living off the land in the north country is all about time. Your time is much better spent gathering berries for winter use than trying to baby along a vegetable garden that may well fall victim to marauding moose within the course of an hour or two...or killed by an early, unexpected freeze, eaten by birds...you'd pretty much have to build a cage around it -- a really strong cage, because if a moose or a bear wants your lettuce, it's probably going to get it. Even then, the Homer area and the Mat-Su notwithstanding, soils in the state generally aren't that good. In SE, for instance, the rain leaches most of the nutrition out the ground. Trying to graze a cow on what grows there would cause the animal to starve if supplementary food weren't in the picture, and vegetable gardening requires abundant soil amendments.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 08-14-2014 at 04:31 PM..

Old 08-14-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:

Your cows are going to starve unless you have a way to import hay and other food for them. You won't be able to grow enough. Chickens are going to need excess food as well. Gardens -- some people grow pretty good hobby gardens in Alaska, but I wouldn't advise trying to grow enough food for the family or livestock.
Most of Alaska also doesn't have much grazing for cows. There's some agriculture in Alaska, but most of it just isn't cut out for a Little House on the Prairie scenario.

The way to "live off the land" in Alaska is to literally "live off the land" by taking what it offers, and that can only be done in certain parts of the state. There's a reason why interior Natives were nomadic...

Living off the land in the north country is all about time. Your time is much better spend gathering berries for winter use than trying to baby along a vegetable garden that may well fall victim to marauding moose within the course of an hour or two...or killed by an early, unexpected freeze, eaten by birds...you'd pretty much have to build a cage around it -- a really strong cage, because if a moose or a bear wants your lettuce, it's probably going to get it. Even then, the Homer area and the Mat-Su notwithstanding, soils in the state generally aren't that good. In SE, for instance, the rain leaches most of the nutrition out the ground. Trying to graze a cow on what grows there would cause the animal to starve if supplementary food weren't in the picture, and vegetable gardening requires abundant soil amendments.
That is the kind of post I was hoping to get... Thank you for your perspective.

I want to be able to buy/sell whatever I need at the local markets/ stands etc where the food is fresh and not pesticide/GMO garbage( that is why everyone has cancer these days)

What did you mean by; "You don't have to play farmer to avoid supermarkets, btw"

TC

Old 08-14-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
I grow my own Cranes...

I plant them every spring, delicious!

LOL what? Serious or just kidding around? How much meat does one of those produce and how long to butcher size? I suppose they 'taste like chicken' right...:>)

TC

Old 08-14-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:

Your cows are going to starve unless you have a way to import hay and other food for them. You won't be able to grow enough. Chickens are going to need excess food as well. Gardens -- some people grow pretty good hobby gardens in Alaska, but I wouldn't advise trying to grow enough food for the family or livestock. BTW, you'd be better off hunting moose or caribou for meat than raising cattle. Most of Alaska also doesn't have much grazing for cows. There's some agriculture in Alaska, but most of it just isn't cut out for a Little House on the Prairie scenario.

Living off the land in the north country is all about time. Your time is much better spent gathering berries for winter use than trying to baby along a vegetable garden that may well fall victim to marauding moose within the course of an hour or two...or killed by an early, unexpected freeze, eaten by birds...you'd pretty much have to build a cage around it -- a really strong cage, because if a moose or a bear wants your lettuce, it's probably going to get it. Even then, the Homer area and the Mat-Su notwithstanding, soils in the state generally aren't that good. In SE, for instance, the rain leaches most of the nutrition out the ground. Trying to graze a cow on what grows there would cause the animal to starve if supplementary food weren't in the picture, and vegetable gardening requires abundant soil amendments.

I am considering down below Anchorage somewhere...So I don't think that it will be "North country". Even up in Fairbanks, I understand the growing season is over 6 months long. Is that wrong? I was thinking somewhere around Kenai, Homer, or Seward perhaps. I am looking at all options though...Again, thanks for the info.

TC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska