Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 08:03 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
And considering the low population of Alaska, and how few gay marriages there will be up there, it's funny to see people getting their panties all in a wad over something that has zero affect on them.

I suppose some people will carry the bitterness on for decades. There are people in the South still angry over the loss of the Civil War and "states rights".
The ones in this thread "getting a wad on their panties" are the ones who should be rejoicing, not us Alaskans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 08:38 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
If same-sex marriage becomes the law throughout the US, churches will have no choice but to obey the law, since they won't be able to deny such a service based on sex. It is a matter of time.

Oven private-sector businesses are losing in court for not providing certain services (the one who denied to make a wedding cake to a homosexual couple, for example). Such things will become the norm.
Just calm down buddy, you got yourself all worked up over nothing. Nobody is going to force any church to marry a gay couple against their will. It has been the law of the land in Massachusetts for over 10 years and no church there has been forced to marry any gay folks

Old 10-20-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Just calm down buddy, you got yourself all worked up over nothing. Nobody is going to force any church to marry a gay couple against their will. It has been the law of the land in Massachusetts for over 10 years and no church there has been forced to marry any gay folks
Oh, no! I am OK Just had my nightly cup of Cabernet wine with dinner, accompanied by my beautiful redhead wife of the opposite sex, of course.

On the serious side, you are being rational about the subject in this thread, and I appreciate that, even if we don't see eye-to-eye.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:19 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
Quote:
If same-sex marriage becomes the law throughout the US, churches will have no choice but to obey the law, since they won't be able to deny such a service based on sex. It is a matter of time.

Oven private-sector businesses are losing in court for not providing certain services (the one who denied to make a wedding cake to a homosexual couple, for example). Such things will become the norm.
WRONG, get off that band wagon with broken wheels. When interracial marriage became constitutional throughout the USA, not one single church was forced to marry people of different races and it will be the same with same sex marriage and that baker was not a private sector business, it was a business open to the public and it must obey all the same rules and laws regardless of their religious beliefs. You are just spreading these lies to foment dissent. You do not seem to know the law when it comes to religious protections and exemptions.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
WRONG, get off that band wagon with broken wheels. When interracial marriage became constitutional throughout the USA, not one single church was forced to marry people of different races and it will be the same with same sex marriage and that baker was not a private sector business, it was a business open to the public and it must obey all the same rules and laws regardless of their religious beliefs. You are just spreading these lies to foment dissent. You do not seem to know the law when it comes to religious protections and exemptions.
Breath, Grasshopper. I am not a dragon, so don't even try to slay me, for my opinion holds as much water as yours. I have never said that such thing has happened already. What I have repeatedly said is that eventually it will become the norm, because churches won't be able to discriminate or deny a service based on sex.

Besides, why did the business (a private-sector business) that refused to make a wedding cake for a homosexual couple had to close its doors? And again, what has interracial marriage to do with sexuality? You are comparing apples to oranges, and don't even realize it.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:27 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
I have never said that such thing has happened already. What I have repeatedly said is that eventually it will become the norm, because churches won't be able to discriminate or deny a service based on sex.

Besides, why did the business (a private-sector business) that refused to make a wedding cake for a homosexual couple had to close its doors? And again, what has interracial marriage to do with sexuality? You are comparing apples to oranges, and don't even realize it.
Who cares if it becomes the norm?

The business closed its doors because they wouldn't leave it alone. They tried to capitalize on their victim status and lost.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Who cares if it becomes the norm?

The business closed its doors because they wouldn't leave it alone. They tried to capitalize on their victim status and lost.
The business owner lost in court, so instead of betraying his beliefs, he closed his business' door.

To care or not to care is not the point. I was answering to a poster who believes that such things will never happen. We just have different opinions; that's all.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:39 PM

Ray, that **** happened down here in Oregon. Those idiots could have circumvented this. You know, when some idiot comes around buying salmon, do I stand there and decide whether they get to buy it based on whoever they love? Um, NO. I do not stand there and say "I will not do business with you, Ray, because you are one of those nasty heteros."

I have, in the past, refused to do business with people who are flat out idiots, though, because I can, but I don't get why business owners think they have any right snooping around in the private lives of their customers. I threw one out for getting up in an employee's face with a camera, but I don't know whether he was gay or not.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 10-20-2014 at 10:50 PM..

Old 10-20-2014, 10:47 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,235 times
Good on Alaska for this one.

Not like it matters to me personally, but I certainly wish for all of us to have the legal right to marry the person we love most.....assuming consenting adults, of course

Old 10-20-2014, 10:51 PM

It's not "good on Alaska." It's "good on the U.S. Supreme Court." Alaska asked for an emergency stay on their idiotic law after it got knocked down by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court; the Supreme Court denied the stay without comment. Alaska still plans on "fighting" it. Bunch of idiots these politicians are. What the hell business is it of Sean Parnell's what adults do with their lives? Isn't that idiot a Mormon? He should go back to Utah or whatever hellhole state he came from and marry 15 of his cousins or some such ****.

BTW, that was hyperbole for anyone who wants to whine that mean ol' Met is saying bad things about honored Mormon traditions.

http://www.adn.com/article/20141017/...te-vows-keep-0

Last edited by Metlakatla; 10-20-2014 at 11:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska