Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 12:41 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
It has been getting that way in recent years, mostly in Anchorage, Juneau, and Fairbanks. Not so much in the rural areas.
Ray, I don't think you've ever been to my part of the state. It's changed a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 12:45 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Ray, I don't think you've ever been to my part of the state. It's changed a lot.
No, I haven't. I have been in Sitka, Juneau, and Kodiak, but not for extended periods. I should have said, in the rural areas of the interior. As for Fairbanks, I have noticed a lot of changes in recent years.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:13 AM

7,507 posts, read 5,755,367 times
Quote:
That's because a majority of Alaskans voted for the definition of marriage. Alaskans are mostly independent and conservative in many issues. That said, most Alaskans are transplants from other States, and a majority of these don't like having people from other states coming up here to make changes that in turn will transform Alaska into the messes they have left behind.
Or bringing the mess they created with them.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:30 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richelles View Post
You need to learn to read more widely. Democrats are responsible for things like medicare, social security, civil rights, universal suffrage, and many other decent things. Republicans are against each of the above which puts them at odds with the beliefs of most decent Americans.
On civil rights the democrats are at odds with the majority of Americans. Their party platform includes infringing on the second amendment rights of americans (AWB, etc.). So your partisan post fails.

Old 10-19-2014, 01:52 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,495,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
On civil rights the democrats are at odds with the majority of Americans. Their party platform includes infringing on the second amendment rights of americans (AWB, etc.). So your partisan post fails.
I am a democrat and also own a gun. But the freedom to marry is not the same as gun rights, marriage is a civil right and is being denied specifically to gays, not to straights, Jews, Christians or any other demographic. Guns and the 2nd amendment are issues that have people in contention on both sides, it is not just a democratic or republican issue. Bans on same sex marriage affect only gays, not every demographic.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
I am a democrat and also own a gun. But the freedom to marry is not the same as gun rights, marriage is a civil right and is being denied specifically to gays, not to straights, Jews, Christians or any other demographic. Guns and the 2nd amendment are issues that have people in contention on both sides, it is not just a democratic or republican issue. Bans on same sex marriage affect only gays, not every demographic.
The second amendment is a civil rights issue. And only one party has infringing on it as part of its official platform.

Of course the real point was that the post I responded to was simply wrong.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
It's not as simple as that. Because of religion, the definition of marriage is the union between a man and a woman, and that's why the people have voted for the definition of marriage. By striking down the definition of marriage by the courts, it may become illegal for churches to deny "marrying" same-sex couples. While this may take time to happen, it will.

Another example:
Quote:
The City of Houston has issued subpoenas demanding a group of pastors turn over any sermons dealing with homosexuality, gender identity or Annise Parker, the city’s first openly lesbian mayor. And those ministers who fail to comply could be held in contempt of court. “The city’s subpoena of sermons and other pastoral communications is both needless and unprecedented,” Alliance Defending Freedom attorney Christina Holcomb said in a statement.
http://allenbwest.com/2014/10/christ...-turn-sermons/

Old 10-19-2014, 05:52 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,253,312 times
Quote:
It's not as simple as that. Because of religion, the definition of marriage is the union between a man and a woman, and that's why the people have voted for the definition of marriage. By striking down the definition of marriage by the courts, it may become illegal for churches to deny "marrying" same-sex couples. While this may take time to happen, it will.

Another example:

Christian persecution in the US: Openly gay Houston mayor demands pastors turn over sermons - Allen B. West - AllenBWest.com
The definition of marriage in Alaska now includes woman and woman and man on man. It doesn't mater how your religion defines marriage, your religion has no right to make laws.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
The definition of marriage in Alaska now includes woman and woman and man on man. It doesn't mater how your religion defines marriage, your religion has no right to make laws.
Likewise the homosexuals have zero business trying to force their beliefs on others, but that has been happening. For example:
Vt. government ends religious persecution of family business, admits Wildflower Inn acted in good faith - Alliance Defending Freedom

Old 10-19-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Religion has never made laws; people do. In the case of the "definition of marriage," Alaskans, not the religions, decided that such is what they wanted, so they voted for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska