Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 04:44 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,882 times

Advertisements

Yup, we're on the same page... notice I said "gasoline" and not heating fuel, haha. I'll get dinged by the guys who drive diesel rigs, no doubt. :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 07:02 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Yup, we're on the same page... notice I said "gasoline" and not heating fuel, haha. I'll get dinged by the guys who drive diesel rigs, no doubt. :/
Maybe not, since diesel, at least around Fairbanks, is still expensive somewhere close to $3.00 per gallon.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:18 PM

Diesel has come down, it just didn't come down as fast as gasoline. I read that it's going to start coming down faster now... but who knows. I kind that, personally and I think it will stay higher. We'll see.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:55 PM

460 posts, read 609,627 times
In McG and many other off the road villages we get money from taxes of oil to help the village survive. Here this money is used to buy diesel and gasoline for pumping water and fueling vehicles. It is unlikely that gas/fuel will be much cheaper, villages will slowly die if water
will no longer be piped. Also since we are a hub, expect our neighboring villages
to disappear too. Anchorage gets 14 million from this same
fund too.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:57 PM

879 posts, read 1,731,995 times
Oil is not the future. Now would be a good time for Alaska to fine tune their plan for a future without massive oil revenues. They do have some sort of a rough draft, right?

Old 01-26-2015, 06:50 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,521,443 times
Keyman1 - IIRC, I read an article that the money you are referring to is stopping after this year. Since we don't have journalists like we used to, no one went to the villages and cities that depend on it to get their point of view and what will happen if the money stops.

NomadicBear - One would think. Good thing that the investment company (or people) Alaska has working for it have been doing well. At least according to the news. Unfortunately, I can see a bunch of new taxes coming. I don't know which ones I agree with right now. One of the ones I can see coming down the pike is sales tax. At least that one taxes consumption and it also hits tourists and visiting workers the same.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:41 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
Oil is not the future. Now would be a good time for Alaska to fine tune their plan for a future without massive oil revenues. They do have some sort of a rough draft, right?
I don't think there is any other draft other than one tied to the oil and mining industries. A couple of small Alaska tour "and very small" companies in Fairbanks survive on Northern Lights tourism during the winter months, and also when the local dog sled races are taking place, but the big money on both the tourism and fishing industries is being made by out of state corporations.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:45 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,177,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
I have never seen any draft, rough or otherwise. Any suggestion that involves anyone giving up anything at all is met by denial and anger. How do you replace 90% of state revenues once the oil runs out?

The politicians and many of the people of Alaska are like a bunch of folks in a bar, all drinking on the same tab, all riding a fine edge between getting the most out of the evening and being the one stuck paying the bill. It probably won't end well.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:08 AM

460 posts, read 609,627 times
It has been highly reccommended that the profit sharing go down 5 percent this year, 50 percent next year, and disappear in 2017. There was a couple suggestions about using the perm. fund since that is our rainy day $ and it's definitely raining.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman51 View Post
It has been highly reccommended that the profit sharing go down 5 percent this year, 50 percent next year, and disappear in 2017. There was a couple suggestions about using the perm. fund since that is our rainy day $ and it's definitely raining.
That's probably not a bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: