Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 10:06 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times

Advertisements

That's only 1 in 6 right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 10:17 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
I don't know much about bag limits. I thought they were per hunter....?

Old 01-05-2008, 02:53 AM

26 posts, read 150,201 times
Are you only allowed to hunt in certain areas or would it be legal to "hunt".. or kill for food if it is on your own land?

Old 01-05-2008, 04:06 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,440,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammy63 View Post
Are you only allowed to hunt in certain areas or would it be legal to "hunt".. or kill for food if it is on your own land?
This is a coplicated question witn no easy simple answer. All game have a season or bag limit. Some animals can only be hunted or trapped not either. All animals are property of the state so you still have to follow the rules even on your own land. There is a provision for emergency life sustaining use of game. Subsitance, which seems to sound like what your interested in has special rules and regulations.

See the following link.

The State of Alaska (http://www.state.ak.us/local/akdir1.shtml#dfg - broken link)

Old 01-05-2008, 07:29 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindoll View Post
Do you have mule deer there? That may sound silly, but we've never been there. So if my husband basically wanted to hunt (and fish) everything and we moved there, would the best location be the Palmer/Wasilla/anc area or Kenai???
There are only moose and caribou as far north as Palmer/Wasilla/Anchorage. My favorite location for moose is GMU 13-1, just north of the Talkeetna River. My favorite location for caribou is GMU 13-3, between Gakona and Glennallen. A nonresident moose tag costs $400. A nonresident caribou tag costs $325. While a guide isn't required (if you are a US citizen) for either moose or caribou, it is advisable if you have never been hunting in Alaska before.

You should also be familiar with the regulations on identifying legal moose and identifying legal caribou before you hunt them.

Quote:
And what is the cost of the bear tag? And do brown bear and black bear require 2 separate tags??
A nonresident black bear tag costs $225. A nonresient brown bear (grizzly bear) tag costs $500. Separate tags for each is required. In both cases, a registered Alaskan guide is required to hunt bear in Alaska for nonresidents.

Tag costs are in addition to the hunting license costs. A 7-day nonresident hunting/fishing license costs $140. A 14-day nonresident hunting/fishing license costs $165.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:08 AM

12 posts, read 39,731 times
Thank You for your help!!!

Old 01-05-2008, 09:02 AM

Arcticthaw,
Thanks so much for your reply. It isn't a simple answer is it? I don't even understand it!! Could you give me an example of what would be legal and what would not? Does what you said mean... if a moose or something was on our property and we shot it for intent to butcher and eat that would not be legal but if we shot for the reason of a danger to us than it would be legal? Am I even close?
Thanks!

Old 01-05-2008, 01:07 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,440,771 times
Due to a law suit two govoners ago subsistance hunting and fishings is more complicated. The Feds control subsistance on Federal owned land, while the state controls it on other lands. I am not up on this and suggested the link above for your research.

Now for the non subsistance person (the average Alaskan) we follow the Hunting and fishing regulations on State land. So here are three typical senerios the average person may encounter. First, your driving down the road and a moose runs infront of your car and you hit it. Now the moose belongs to the state, the accident is considered an act of god so no you can't sue for damamges to the vehicle. Your required to imediately report the accident. A State Trooper will respond and investigate, normally they see if that animal is hurt beyond self sustaining. If mortally injured they will dispatch it. and call a nonrpofit organization to harvest the road kill. So you don't even get to keep the meat.

Second would be you are defending your life and or property from a moose. This is a touchy area as gardeners and people with dogs will tell you. You must of taken all possible preventive measures to keep the moose out of the garden or kept the dog from chasing it. If you have to shoot the animal the same rules apply in the earlier example.

ADF&G/Subsistence - Hunting Regulations
Now if your just hunting, you have to follow the game regulations put out each year. This controls how, when, and where. There are places that one can during moose season hunt on their own property if they chooose to.

Our fish and game is very important to Alaskans, and people violating the laws and regulations are turned in and or prosecuted severly. The old addage is you will do more time for killing big game out of season or poaching than if you kill a person. There is the possibility the state can confiscate everything you used to go hunting. From the rifle, bow all the way down to the transportation used to get there. The state owns some nice boats, and airplanes from this program.

Take the time to call and talk with fish and game they are most helpfull in ensuring your understanding.

Last edited by Arcticthaw; 01-05-2008 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: add link.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:54 PM

WOW! You are amazing at explaining. Thank you so much for taking the time for my ignorance. I appreciate the links too. I will pass this along for my husband to research. We are planning on building in Clam Gulch in a year or two and can't wait. We love Alaska and have only come into contact with good people while there. We want to be a part of the whole picture. My husband will be the one who enjoys hunting but I love to fish and love to eat wild game. I actually eat buffalo here at home. I prefer any meat that is lean.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:08 PM

200 posts, read 717,671 times
Default Best Hunting...

Quote:
Where's the best hunting in Alaska???
...Outside? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska