Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 08:49 AM

25 posts, read 37,120 times

Advertisements

We are contemplating a move back to Alaska in a couple of years. I miss it dearly and I miss the outdoors opportunities more than anything else. We used to live in Juneau and I know the hiking scene is great there, however, things like snowmobiling and fourwheeling are almost non-existent. We want to be where there is a mix of both. I also wanted to hear from people that have experience living in Anchorage and Fairbanks. What is the hiking like in both of those cities? Do you have to drive very far? Which one of those places has better snowmachining and skiing? I loved the drive through Fairbanks and its remoteness, never spent much time there, but wondering what the hiking/riding scene is like there? Does it get enough snow to go sledding? Any information comparing those cities' recreation opportunities would be very appreciated. Thanks to everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 10:22 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,309,970 times
There is an excellent link by heathen in the thread titled Alaska hiking resource right now.

What is the best is all relative. I have found the best hiking and outdoor opportunities exist where I can make the most amount of money, work the least amount of days, and live the cheapest. That way I have enough $$ for all the toys and the time to use them. I think almost anywhere in Alaska has pretty good recreation opportunities.

Anchorage does have more "dramatic" in your face scenery, but also more people so you have to try a bit harder to get away from the crowds, especially on the weekends. I really loved the reed lakes trail up Hatcher pass in the valley and was very impressed though. The valley is a pretty good base to explore what Alaska has to offer.

The peninsula gives you a pretty wide variety of outdoor activities, in a fairly condensed area (by Alaska standards) as well. I loved the hiking when I lived in homer, but it was a boat ride across the bay to get there, and I was working 10 hour days, 5 days a week so I got to do less of it than I would of liked. Found myself gazing at the mountains more often than being in them.

I would go where you figure you can have the highest standard of living, live the cheapest and then plan trips accordingly. Just my opinion. I don't think you can go wrong wherever you choose on the outdoor recreation. Good luck.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:40 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,620,450 times
For me, a job would be my biggest concern in moving, not out door activities...

I live in the MatSu Valley, and there's plenty of outdoor activities here. Hiking, biking, snowmachining, 4 wheeling, we've got it all...

Old 01-08-2015, 10:43 AM

863 posts, read 2,079,587 times
Mat-Su probably has the best balance, if you consider that a city. If it's just between Anchorage and Fairbanks, Anc wins hands down for hiking, and Fbx for motor powered activities. In either case, you'll have to drive quite a ways to get to the good stuff for one activity or the other.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:52 AM

I really appreciate the replies. I absolutely agree that jobs are a priority. We might have opportunities to aim for the bigger areas (Juneau, Anchorage, Fairbanks), unfortunately at the moment the Valley and Peninsula are out of the question in that regard. Right now, we live out of state, with decent jobs, but outdoors opportunities are within a long drive by our standards (at least two hours, longer in the winter), roads are very busy and so are the recreational places. We end up spending more time on the road than outing if it's a weekend getaway. We are starting to really miss having all that close by.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:10 PM

863 posts, read 2,079,587 times
I'd say Fairbanks only if motor sports, empty country, and a more rural lifestyle are your primary considerations. Otherwise, Anchorage is your top choice. Great biking and skiing in town, tons of great hiking within an hour (or even half), downhill skiing within an hour. Motorized sports though are going to be 1-2 hours away, and often quite crowded and trashy at the spots closer to town.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:16 PM

134 posts, read 195,740 times
There are plenty of paved trails throughout Anchorage for walking/jogging/biking, and a short drive away on the side of the city in the mountains is a popular hiking trail - Flat top, but the parking is bad/crowded/trying to find a spot. Yes, there are lots of things, and lots of people doing them. Don't forget the bears and moose live here too, but at least the bears hibernate (usually).

Old 01-10-2015, 10:19 AM

We are really torn between Fairbanks and Anchorage. I didn't realize that Anchorage is so busy. I only visited during the week, so no idea what it's like on weekends. We do like the biking and walking a lot, but I do enjoy the empty country and hot springs near Fairbanks if that should be a consideration at all. Thank you for all the information!

Old 01-10-2015, 10:53 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,309,970 times
FWIW, I never have lived in Anchorage proper but have lived in the Valley for a few months and now Fairbanks. Fairbanks is plenty busy enough (too much for my tastes) and has traffic, lots of stores and the whole 9 yards of city problems but on a smaller scale than Anchorage. However I feel when you get outside of Fairbanks you get that I am in the "middle of nowhere feel" quicker and easier than you do in Anchorage, even if it's only an illusion. I also am a huge fan of the multiple roads leading out of Fairbanks as opposed to the two ways in and out of Anchorage.

I am also glad I live about 30-40 mins outside of Fairbanks. It is warmer me the air isn't as crappy. Don't underestimate the bad air quality and cold temps of Fairbanks. Good luck.

Old 01-15-2015, 04:41 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,249,189 times
In what kinds of industries are you searching for jobs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska