Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 10:03 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,596,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Most kids start smoking, chewing, and the rest among their friends. Besides that, there is a pretty good chance that children of smoking parents who are bothered by the smoke... later in life will dislike anything relating to smoking.
Actually, I started smoking at 14. To this day I still think I was already addicted to nicotine before I started due to my heavy smoking parents. People can go both ways. Guess it depends on if your parents have you lighting cig's on the stove for them or not in childhood LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 03:02 PM

879 posts, read 1,732,199 times
My question is "why do people even start smoking given the knowledge we now have of the major health ramifications from doing so?" Many doctors say there is no worse thing you can do to your body. The number of chemicals in cigarettes is shocking. Even more shocking is watching somebody die from it.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:25 PM

2,676 posts, read 2,628,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
My question is "why do people even start smoking given the knowledge we now have of the major health ramifications from doing so?" Many doctors say there is no worse thing you can do to your body. The number of chemicals in cigarettes is shocking. Even more shocking is watching somebody die from it.
Immediate gratification vs delayed gratification. Same as drinking heavily, using drugs, etc.:

Delayed gratification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I grew up in a home with cigarette smoking (have never smoked myself). It didn't bother me at the time. But after being away from home for a couple of years, even a slight whiff of cigarette smoke gave me an immediate throbbing headache, and still does. If everyone was fortunate enough to have that reaction there would be a lot less smoking

Old 04-05-2015, 03:44 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
Good question. Long ago when I was a child there was no Internet nor countless of medical or scientific studies relating to alcohol, tobacco smoke, and drug use. The generations of today have all of that at their disposal, and still smoke, drink, and use drugs. Most, however, begin using at an early age.

But lets say that tobacco smoke is bad for your health. Then how about wood, pot, metal, and other kinds of smoke? While some of us complain about tobacco smoking, we turn around and inhale other smokes

The bottomline is that today young people learn the same bad habits that we learned yesterday.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:55 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,773 times
And pot smokers inhale deeper so the effect on the lungs is worse than cigarettes smoking.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:05 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,406,760 times
1964 was when the US surgeon general officially decided cigarettes killed, and 1971 was when cigarette commercials in America were banned, but it wasn't until at least the 80's sometime that smoking really started to go out of fashion... perhaps because a generation of smokers had died in the period between 1964 (or 1971, take your pick) and 1980-something?

Old 04-05-2015, 11:54 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
1964 was when the US surgeon general officially decided cigarettes killed, and 1971 was when cigarette commercials in America were banned, but it wasn't until at least the 80's sometime that smoking really started to go out of fashion... perhaps because a generation of smokers had died in the period between 1964 (or 1971, take your pick) and 1980-something?
Who knows? Back in the days during WWII and after, a great number of soldiers smoked. Some died in the war, while others died of old age. Perhaps it's not necessarily smoke that kills people, but cancers, cardiovascular decease, and so on. Excessive smoking probably increases the chance of getting cancer and other maladies, but it's not the main reason. If smoke was like radon (you don't even know it's there), then people would not complain about smokers. That said, you have children and adults who don't smoke dying of cancers and other deceases each day.

Something else: my father in law is around 91 years old. He does not smoke nor drink, and each morning breakfast consists of a couple of fried eggs and bacon, plus lots of coffee the rest of the day. The medical community has been telling people that eggs are bad for us, and so bacon. Go figure...

Last edited by RayinAK; 04-06-2015 at 12:02 AM..

Old 04-06-2015, 01:03 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Don't quit your day job to become a doctor, Ray. Smoking is a main reason for cancer and "other maladies," not just something that may increase chances...

Quote:
Cigarette smoking is the leading cause of preventable disease and death in the United States, accounting for more than 480,000 deaths every year, or 1 of every 5 deaths.
More than 16 million Americans live with a smoking-related disease.
http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_stat...a/cig_smoking/

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-06-2015 at 01:13 AM..

Old 04-06-2015, 01:49 AM

134 posts, read 195,612 times
I had a boyfriend whose father died from lung cancer decades ago. He didn't smoke, but that was back in the day when people smoked in offices, and he was around a bunch of smokers. My father chewed/smoked cigars, my first boyfriend smoked cigs & pot, some friends did too. I tried it, but just wasn't into it. Smoking stinks and makes food taste different. I hated coming home smelling like a bar. And that was back when cigs were 75c a pack. The people I hung out with didn't care either way if you smoked or not, some smoked & some didn't. Same thing with alcohol. My dad took me to bars because that is where he hung out. I saw a lot, and I chose not to raise my kids that way.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:57 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,711,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
A more important question is "Why do people start smoking at all?"
Stupidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska