Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 12:02 AM

962 posts, read 630,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
I don't understand how people can live in Alaska with what appears to be high cost of living and relatively low wages ...
Alaska has a high cost of living, and the cost of living is ridiculous in some of these small rural villages. It's probably manageable for some people though if they have a good education and a half-decent job.

For those of you who think Alaska is more expensive than the lower 48: Try living in California for a while. Most of California, especially the coastal regions of it, are unreasonably high priced. Average income in California DOES NOT match with the high cost of living good enough to level the playing field. The average list price for a house in California is about $450K. New York and Hawaii also have a higher average cost of living than Alaska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 02:04 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,858,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseBandit View Post
Copy that, keyman. Thank you!
Where do folks in your village go to have their taxes done? Do they all fly into a place with an H&R Block, or do most villages have someone who does everybody's taxes?
I live in a small road system community. Everyone I know here does their own personal taxes. It's not that hard. A friend of mine is a part-time accountant and has been known to walk people through their first time filing for themselves.

I'd say the service that's really lacking here is reliable childcare...we could really use a licensed daycare

Old 09-01-2015, 08:55 AM

460 posts, read 608,941 times
We have people that fly here once a year to help people do their taxes. Most are quite simple many retired, and few people have their own business. Others just mail information to a tax preparer.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:15 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseBandit View Post
Copy that, keyman. Thank you!
Where do folks in your village go to have their taxes done? Do they all fly into a place with an H&R Block, or do most villages have someone who does everybody's taxes?
There are free tax services available. Kind of like missionaries but tax guys. They come in for a month and spend a few days in a village. Until their time is up.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:16 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,446 times
Reliable child care is the most pressing needs in the villages IMO.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:23 AM

94 posts, read 128,949 times
Hmm, okay, I won't count much on the tax prep idea.

I understand the need for daycare and childcare services, but with 4 of my own that I homeschool, that wouldn't be a good fit for me year-round. ;-)

I'll keep brainstorming. Down here, there's tons of little homesteading-cottage-businesses you can do based off the food products and services you're doing for your own family anyways, but I don't know how much of a demand I'll find up there for homemade goat cheese, or chicken-butchering services, LOL.

Thank you guys for the feedback!

Old 09-01-2015, 12:22 PM

233 posts, read 250,533 times
Just a comment from a non-resident of Alaska (I've never even visited actually).

Is Alaska what it seems on all these reality shows you see on TV? In other words....the cop shows filmed up there seem to indicate a very high level of unemployment, drugs, burglary, and various other crimes. The hunters/fisherman seem apt to do a large amount of poaching as well. Is this just an exageration to make the shows more dramatic? Many of the people shown on some of these "reality" shows also seem to be....well....rough, raw, and almost hillbilly (not a very descriptive term...sorry) like.
I'm not trying to be rude...I've actually been thinking of going up there (I live in Washington state) for a visit or two. I just don't know if I would care for the culture. I love the desolate nature of the mountains and even the tundra. The harsh winters have almost an appeal to me as well.

Anyway....just thought I'd ask out of curiosity and to get some honest answers from real folks that live up there.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:34 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Cop shows depict people breaking the law no matter where they're filmed. Criminals aren't reflective of any community as a whole, unless you go to Naukiti or something.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:53 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,613,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plenus View Post
Just a comment from a non-resident of Alaska (I've never even visited actually).

Is Alaska what it seems on all these reality shows you see on TV? In other words....the cop shows filmed up there seem to indicate a very high level of unemployment, drugs, burglary, and various other crimes. The hunters/fisherman seem apt to do a large amount of poaching as well. Is this just an exageration to make the shows more dramatic? Many of the people shown on some of these "reality" shows also seem to be....well....rough, raw, and almost hillbilly (not a very descriptive term...sorry) like.
I'm not trying to be rude...I've actually been thinking of going up there (I live in Washington state) for a visit or two. I just don't know if I would care for the culture. I love the desolate nature of the mountains and even the tundra. The harsh winters have almost an appeal to me as well.

Anyway....just thought I'd ask out of curiosity and to get some honest answers from real folks that live up there.
Don't believe everything you see on TV... Of course it's edited for the drama. And a lot of the shows are staged and scripted. So the scenery is real, but the drama is not.

Old 09-01-2015, 04:27 PM

233 posts, read 250,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
Don't believe everything you see on TV... Of course it's edited for the drama. And a lot of the shows are staged and scripted. So the scenery is real, but the drama is not.
Well, maybe I should clarify a bit.
I do know that the cop shows are looking for and showing the most undesirable element of any area they are filming. I was also pointing out the various reality shows as well as "Buying Alaska" type realty programs.
It just seems to me that even those shows don't really depict Alaska, and it's people, as the most friendly or hospitable. The background views of the natural areas is for sure, very attractive...but the towns and communities just look a bit worn out.
Anyway...I guess I'll never know unless I take a quick flight up there and see for myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska