Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 03:54 PM

34 posts, read 95,268 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking of moving to Sitka for a while, but i wanted to know some pros and cons of living there from someone who does live there or has visited there. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 05:42 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,171,275 times
Don't live in Sitka, but have been there a few times. Common sense will tell me the following:

a. If you are retired with a good pension, or have lots of money, it should not be a problem
b. If you don't have a good job at Sitka, it should be difficult for an outsider to get a good job, unless there aren't people in town who can't or don't have the skills, or don't have the credentials do the work required
c. Sitka is not connected to the road system. To get in and out you would have to do it via sea, or air
d. There aren't a lot of jobs in Sitka, other than government work

Old 09-20-2015, 06:06 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,424,426 times
I've spent a fair amount of time in Sitka. It's not my cup of tea for living, so here's my opinion:

Pros:

Nice, quiet small town
Good controls on development; no big box stores or too many chain stores, etc
Beautiful esp. when it's sunny

Cons:

EXPENSIVE
Seems quite snobby
Limited trail system and getting above treeline is a haul
Rain, rain, lots and lots of rain

And all the other stuff that goes with being off the road system in AK, good and bad.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:33 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,707,782 times
Sitka's all right, if you like lots of rain and wind. It's the only SE Alaskan community that's by the open ocean (not in a bay or behind a labyrinth of islands), so the winds can be strong.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:43 AM

Thanks for the replies! I'm fine with rain, wind, snow, etc. I actually love all of them! And the road systems are fine with me, too. Still, i definitely don't want to live somewhere with snobby people. What makes them seem like that?

Old 09-22-2015, 10:36 AM

714 posts, read 747,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icypenguin17 View Post
Thanks for the replies! I'm fine with rain, wind, snow, etc. I actually love all of them! And the road systems are fine with me, too. Still, i definitely don't want to live somewhere with snobby people. What makes them seem like that?

They are talking snobby by Alaska standards, which would probably translate to an average person anywhere else.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:37 AM

Oh, okay. So Alaskans are less snobby then everyone else........?

Old 09-23-2015, 01:20 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,279 times
Quote:
Oh, okay. So Alaskans are less snobby then everyone else........?
Yes in the traditional way that snobby is used. They typically aren't going to try and dazzle you with their Mercedes or art collection. However, a fair number of Alaskans can be standoffish towards non-Alaskans. For the most part, this won't manifest in direct rudeness but it could making friends might be more difficult and take longer than in other places. Alaska seems to be a place where outsiders need to prove themselves. It's a little bit cliquish.

That said, as long as you are respectful of the way of life and appreciate the expertise of the locals, I think you would be fine. Whatever you do, don't talk about how things are done where you are from or how the locals are doing something wrong. That applies to everywhere, but people have a tendency to do this.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:19 PM

17 posts, read 32,994 times
Quote:
I've been thinking of moving to Sitka for a while, but i wanted to know some pros and cons of living there from someone who does live there or has visited there. Thanks in advance!
Moving from where and why?

Gotta love these open-ended questions that provide absolutely zero context.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:32 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,424,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKtoWAtoUT View Post
They are talking snobby by Alaska standards, which would probably translate to an average person anywhere else.
Heh, could be. Though I had some run-ins with high-falutin' Sitka folk who seemed to think their small community connections made it necessary to worship the ground they walked on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska