Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 03:53 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,612,445 times

Advertisements

For me the biggest factor would be employment... I would not recommend making the move without have a job lined up, or have a very in-demand skillset.
Why Sitka? Have you ever visited?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 05:01 PM

3 posts, read 6,127 times
Thank you all!

This is exactly what I was hoping for when I posted my question in this forum. The good and the bad.

Employment is actually the reason I am considering Sitka. I have an opportunity to transfer to Sitka to perform the same duties I perform now and with the same company. When presented with the opportunity, I thought it might be wonderful to make this sort of change. I have always been fascinated with the state of Alaska. What better way to introduce myself to the state than by moving to Sitka. From all I have seen and read, Sitka sounds just amazing! However, I think the best idea would be to visit for a week or two so I can get a first hand view of Sitka before moving my family so far away from what they are used to.

Again, Thank you all for your input! It is very much appreciated!!

Old 01-03-2016, 05:27 PM

195 posts, read 278,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edria View Post

Employment is actually the reason I am considering Sitka. I have an opportunity to transfer to Sitka to perform the same duties I perform now and with the same company.
Honestly, if you have a job offer in Sitka you should seriously consider taking it. Sitka is a great little town. If you can handle the rainy climate (SE Alaska is very similar to the PNW) and being in a small, isolated community then you should be fine. Keep in mind the cost of living and make sure that your new salary would sufficiently cover any increases.

Head up for a visit and see if you like the vibe. Good luck!

Old 01-03-2016, 08:40 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
I agree with Hannah ^^^ You've got a job with a known entity, so if everything else lines up, why not? I'd start looking for housing as soon as I knew for sure, though, because available spots tighten up all over SE in spring. It also shows in your posts that you really want to do this.

Not sure how long it takes the fast ferry to get to Juneau, but it takes the regular ferry 12 hours, and it's an overnight trip. It takes an Alaska Airlines jet maybe 40 minutes.

I've done a lot of business with this place:

- Sitka Sound Science Center: Sitka Alaska – An alaska science center dedicated to increasing understanding and awareness of terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems of the Gulf of Alaska through education and research

Definitely worth a visit after you move.

One thing I've always liked about Sitka is that although it does get some cruise ships in, it doesn't get hit as hard as Skagway, Juneau, or Ketch.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-03-2016 at 08:51 PM..

Old 01-03-2016, 09:19 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times
The wind can really blow. It is located on the outside edge of Southeast Alaska so there is no protection from storms blowing in from the ocean. When I lived in Sitka many years ago I saw wind gusts of 100 mph. Most days the wind is not real bad. It is cloudy most days with low overcast type clouds. I will say that Sitka is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been when the sun does shine.

If you have the income to support living there, Sitka is a wonderful place to live. Once you get to where you accept the rain, there is lots to do. There is hiking, fishing, crabbing, camping, softball, parades and many other things to do. I do not know if they still do it but several world class classical musicians would come to Sitka and hold jam sessions every summer.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:19 PM

284 posts, read 404,629 times
Mutt, they still do. As for wind, I live across from Middle Island, right on the ocean--the worst of the winds come out of the south and east, over the mountains. Yeah, Sitka is a fine place to live. Healthcare....if you got a broken arm or a wicked cold or maybe a bit hypertensive or diabetes (as long as you aren't brittle), you'd be o.k. Beyond that, I'd be a bit concerned. And both my wife and I are nurses--40+years between us. I will leave it at that. You can get Guardian Med evac insurance for 125/yr. for the whole family--which we have. Edria--if you are serious about a probable move, I will PM my phone number to you if you ask and help you out with all the info. I can muster up for you. Not a problem! This is a great place for kids and a safe place for a family. Most people are wonderful and helpful here. We are all each others neighbor!

Old 01-05-2016, 12:58 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,168,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edria View Post
Dakster,

Thank you so much for your reply! So much great information. I had not thought about building airline miles as a way to supplement air fare. Great advice! Also, I appreciate the advice concerning medical insurance supplementation. We have the same here but I have always considered it superfluous. However, I can see the vast importance of such a plan in a place like Sitka without roads to/from bigger cities. So, again, thanks for the great advice!

I do live in a rural part of Missouri. Travel time to a major airport (STL or MCI) is between 3 and 4 hours. So, I don't think the size of Sitka will bother me much.

I really hope someone can give some info on the school system and housing. Those are huge factors for me.

Again, thanks so much for your reply!
The medevac insurance through Apollo is $125/year for a house hold. Our medevac over thanksgiving break was over $60k and that was just for an appendix bursting. Thankfully we had the insurance.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:49 AM

57 posts, read 56,394 times
Thank you rntim and haolejohn. I just looked up the Apollo medevac site plan options. $125 per year for an entire household is insanely cheap.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:53 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahTravels View Post
Honestly, if you have a job offer in Sitka you should seriously consider taking it. Sitka is a great little town. If you can handle the rainy climate (SE Alaska is very similar to the PNW) and being in a small, isolated community then you should be fine. Keep in mind the cost of living and make sure that your new salary would sufficiently cover any increases.

Head up for a visit and see if you like the vibe. Good luck!
Yes, except that SE doesn't have the sunny, warm summers that the Pacific Northwest gets. Sitka is beautiful, and is like going back 50 years in time compared to the lower 48. That's a good thing, in my opinion, especially for the kids. Go for it!

Old 01-06-2016, 08:15 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,168,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarisaSMouse View Post
Thank you rntim and haolejohn. I just looked up the Apollo medevac site plan options. $125 per year for an entire household is insanely cheap.
you only need to use it once. We are still waiting on our final bill. I think our primary insurance is used first and then the Apollo kicks in. Not exactly sure how it all works, but it has more than paid for itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska