Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 11:48 AM

341 posts, read 412,845 times

Advertisements

I might be getting a job in Sitka, Alaska. The job pays $35,000. I would be relcating from Chicago, Illinois. Just me no family or pets.

I know it rains a lot there, but the temperatures are more mild and not as extreme as Chicago, IL.

I been doing a Google search and not had much luck on retail housing in Sitka. Most of the rentals are furnished vacation homes rented by the week or month for ridiculous amount If I get the job, I might see if I can stay at my work until I get my housing in order. I heard living aboard might be cheaper then renting. I don't know anything about boats but if its cheap is it worth it?

Also do you need a car in Sitka? I know its an Island and doesn't look like many roads. I will have more questions in the future. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 06:53 PM

341 posts, read 412,845 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/alask...l#post42835605

Old 01-24-2017, 07:38 PM

3 posts, read 2,042 times
I'm from miami fl

Age 46. The more I read these posts the more I see there is no easy places in ak. I might be at age 46 missed the window to ak. Also Juneau looks like it's pretty crowded. The rest of ak looks pretty challenging. I'm still interested in living there seasonally in the future. I'm single no bills so I have that going for me. I can live in very modest space. I can walk and not need a car for years. I grew up in nj nyc Have no problem with the bus and enjoy it very much. Just like to know more about day to day grind. And how you think a guy my age would fair there. What would I do for leisure. Where would a person like me work, I'm open to most jobs lifting less than 25 pounds. Thanks.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:54 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,618,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray12345 View Post
Have no problem with the bus and enjoy it very much.
Anchorage, Juneau and Fairbanks are the only towns with a public bus. Oh, and the core area of the MatSu Valley. Kinda. None of them are very good.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:00 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,106,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
Anchorage, Juneau and Fairbanks are the only towns with a public bus. Oh, and the core area of the MatSu Valley. Kinda. None of them are very good.
In Fairbanks, you have to live right in town to be dependent upon the bus system. If you live outside of town, the walk or ride to the bus stop is invariably way too far if it's cold.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:25 PM

284 posts, read 405,340 times
You don't need a car to get around here in Sitka, there are public buses if you don't like walking. Check out the Daily Sitka Sentinel on-line, there are like 8 rentals listed right now. Yeah, it rains A LOT here but its just one of them things man. Oh, there is also a hostel here but I think it is only operated during tourist season, like April thru Sept.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:46 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times
Ketchikan has a public bus -- not sure how good the service is.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:52 PM

284 posts, read 405,340 times
We've had no more than 4 inches of snow last few years. But, it did ice up and we couldn't get out of the driveway if not for having a 4 wheel drive. That only lasted like 5 days. It blew 45mph for 3 days straight last week. More wind in the winter months than in the summer. I was out on a boat 2days ago and it was beautiful, around 42 degrees. Snowed yesterday but thats all gone. We only lock one door and thats cause our dog knows how to open it! Haven't locked up the house here-ever. We do have both a 2 wheel drive and a 4 wheel drive truck--mostly use the 4 wheel drive to pull the boat. The buses run their root 6 a.m to 8 p.m. There is 14 miles of "main road" from north to south and the buses run most of it. There are 2 small plane outfits here and a one way ticket to like Juneau is 150 bucks one way. Major airline here is delta and Alaska air and I have no idea what those tickets cost to like Seattle, we just don't leave. Then there is the ferry system which is cool. Don't know the cost as they will change fare rates in March, I think.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:10 PM

Then what city like anchorage nyc Miami where I wouldn't have to worry about employment. Meaning Outside of anchorage you better hold on to what you got. Or there's plenty of industry service that you can be out Wed start working Friday somewhere else. Or its possible since the population is so limited that they can't get rid of you no how much they can't stand you...Cause there's simply no one else for the job. Are? Possibly situations in fair banks where a replacement that would take a few hours in miami. Could it be in places like Fairbanks. you can stay employed for months. Cause there's just no else there around. Always wondered.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:51 PM

Over all I don't see my self staying there beyond 6 months. I thinking of something where I would first visit to see if I like it. Really has nothing to do with me...Lloll. as much as my age 46, have to see how rigorous life would be spring through fall. Get an idea of the economic prognosis through 2035. If I felt those two weren't an issue and liked what I saw. Combined with secondary factors such as flying away during winter to Miami. The bus line which is a good back up. An amicable work environment where your services beyond the usual are really wanted. I'd say if those things lined up on my visit and beyond. It would def take it from just a joke. To something I'd have to consider. The weather is not an issue cause I'd be spending winter and late fall early spring in miami. Thanks for any tips. Ray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska