Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 11:06 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman51 View Post
Have never felt unsafe in Anchorage. I lived in Mountain View and Spenard when I first moved up here. That was over 20 years ago, but now that I am older and have experienced more, seedy neighborhoods do not scare me. Put me in some areas of Chicago or Las Angeles and that might be a different story. While you are in Anchorage, if you can take some time to go to the Valley and check out 3 Bears grocery on Trunk Road. They are like a mini Costco and will do bush orders for no shipping or handling charges and will ship how you want. I sometimes do an order for produce for priority and would be able to get it here in a couple of days. You can do an email order too. It hit 50 yesterday, but still have a foot of snow on the ground. It will be all gone in about 3 weeks though.
No snow in Bethel pretty much all winter. Muddy roads galore though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 11:30 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,168,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
No snow in Bethel pretty much all winter. Muddy roads galore though.
Same with Dillingham.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:54 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,001,396 times
I grew up in various bush locations. Since my dad worked for the government we could order groceries from Anchorage once a month at a couple of the locations. Another place we were about 400 miles from Anchorage but on the highway so no commissary there. There were a couple small grocery stores. A couple times a year we would drive into Anchorage and get a side of beef and other items. My dad had a very unique talent of being able to pick the worst hotel to stay at in Anchorage. Does anyone remember the Roosevelt Hotel Annex? Was still there in the early 70's. Is now a parking lot across the street from the bus transit center and the Marriott Downtown. We also stayed at the main Roosevelt Hotel which later became the Inlet Inn and as of a couple years ago also became a parking lot.

Later in life I lived in Anchorage for 27 years. Never had any problems. Anchorage is just like most cities with 300,000 people. There are a few parts of town I did not hang around after dark. However there was not any part of town I felt unsafe during the day.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:09 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,475,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Does anyone remember the Roosevelt Hotel Annex? Was still there in the early 70's.
We used to bring a team down from Fairbanks in the 70s and 80s to play in the Fur Rondy men's basketball tournament each year. Given we were just looking for a cheap place downtown (where the gym was) to crash when we weren't playing or watching ball or doing other things (maybe involving hitting a bar or two), the Roosevelt was usually our hotel of choice.

Great times back then. Got to play against and hang out with lots of players who are fairly legendary in Alaska BB circles. We also made it to the Juneau Gold Medal tournament a few times. Back when the downtowns of Anchorage, Juneau and Fairbanks all had a lot more character.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:31 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,516,539 times
There are a lot of characters in downtown Anchorage, but I get your point on the character of downtown...

Old 04-06-2016, 07:08 PM

191 posts, read 287,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Anchorage is a giant turd (no offense to anyone that lives there). I always notice a lot of shady people walking around. To be fair to anchorage, I mostly have just driven through on my way to the kenai or going to the airport so there's probably really nice areas I don't see. Anyways, the only way I would ever consider living in Anchorage is if I had a really high paying (100k+) job there and I would still have hesitations .

I don't want to even think about the high bush prices. The price differences between fairbanks (which is expensive in itself) is shocking compared to the prices in delta only two hours away and on a main road. I do shop local for a lot of things, but for bigger more expensive items and building supplies, etc I'm forced to go to fairbanks or the internet. I also pick up groceries when I'm in fairbanks and it's amazing how much I can get for so little at Fred Myer compared to here in town. I usually spend at least $60-$80 everytime I shop at the IGA here and that gets me maybe 5 bags of groceries.

Anyways, stock up on supplies while your in Anchorage and then get out of dodge while you're still sane!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
What do you think of Fairbanks?

Old 04-06-2016, 07:42 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,302,020 times
^ Geez, I must of been drinking when I wrote that, I was kind of harsh on Anchorage . I'm not the biggest fan of fairbanks either, but I couldn't live up here without the necessities it provides me from time to time at lower prices. I've also been known to cheat from time to time and get the nicest hotel room I can get there. To be fair, I don't like any sort of population center of say more than 10,000 people as it stresses me out. For their size, they are both nice places. I wouldn't enjoy any city of 300,000+ people so it isn't Anchorages fault.

I can't be held responsible for things I post on here, especially before 9am (no coffee) or after 9pm (too much beer) .

Last edited by 6.7traveler; 04-06-2016 at 07:58 PM..

Old 04-06-2016, 09:32 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
^ Geez, I must of been drinking when I wrote that, I was kind of harsh on Anchorage . I'm not the biggest fan of fairbanks either, but I couldn't live up here without the necessities it provides me from time to time at lower prices. I've also been known to cheat from time to time and get the nicest hotel room I can get there. To be fair, I don't like any sort of population center of say more than 10,000 people as it stresses me out. For their size, they are both nice places. I wouldn't enjoy any city of 300,000+ people so it isn't Anchorages fault.

I can't be held responsible for things I post on here, especially before 9am (no coffee) or after 9pm (too much beer) .
Don't feel to bad for telling the truth

Back in the '70s when there weren't so many people around, Anchorage was a nice place to live at. Now the name "Los Anchorage" fits the city quite well. The last time I visited Anchorage was over 25 or more years ago when My daughter was stationed in Elmendorf, and even then I was shocked at the change. Fairbanks is not too bad, but will get worst as more people from the lower-48 move in.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:42 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,516,539 times
6.7 - Just don't have beer for breakfast and dinner... Then you'll end up at the mid town Wal mart begging for money...

Old 04-06-2016, 09:47 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,302,020 times
Lol, I was halfway kidding about the beer , but not the coffee, I NEED coffee. I do enjoy a beer from time to time responsibly but won't be begging for money at wal mart anytime soon.

On an unrelated note I did give money to a beggar the other day outside of Walmart in Fairbanks. I usually don't give money, but his sign said "broke UAF student, looking for rich women" it made me laugh out loud I felt compelled to give a dollar . To all homeless people, make funny creative signs and you'll get more money from people like me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska