Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 01:47 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,446 times

Advertisements

We are in anchorage for a C-section and though I was in town for our son's appendix situation, this time in actually paying attention.

Anchorage is expensive no doubt about it, however it isn't nearly as expensive as the bush or more remote locations. We are dinner last night at a restaurant and our meal was only $45 including a large tip. That was two adult meals and an appetizer. In our location we'd have spent easily $100 in that meal. I also bought some breakfast foods for a week as well as some other odds and ends at Fred Meyers. Spent $180 and I had to make two trips from the car to our place we are staying. Grocery prices were 300% cheaper on average.
My daughter is amazed at the amount of cars, people, and restaurants.

I've never noticed the amount of shady looking people before. Maybe it's just spring time where there is more day light, but I would be concerned about moving here with the economic state of our state.

Normally anchorage is a full on rush job. Shopping and packing for 3-4 months while only spend g a few days here. This time I'll be here for over a week. This would also be my longest amount of time between anchorage visits so I have a new perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 02:05 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,102,239 times
Hey, been hoping all was going well with the c-section, and I also hope your boy's appendix is okay.

I'm glad you posted this. I always say that Anchorage doesn't have anything I need but I have actually been considering making the trip down. It could happen.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:42 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Hey, been hoping all was going well with the c-section, and I also hope your boy's appendix is okay.

I'm glad you posted this. I always say that Anchorage doesn't have anything I need but I have actually been considering making the trip down. It could happen.
Our son is good. He was fine back in January when they were finally able to remove it.
C-section will be fine. First for her. It's new waters for the wife but it is needed. Bleed to death from a rupture vs cut baby out. We took the cutting out.

I'm looking at anchorage totally different because of CD.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Our son is good. He was fine back in January when they were finally able to remove it.
C-section will be fine. First for her. It's new waters for the wife but it is needed. Bleed to death from a rupture vs cut baby out. We took the cutting out.

I'm looking at anchorage totally different because of CD.
I'm thinking I would opt for cutting out, too . Glad she made it to Anchorage (re: volcano ash) and that everyone's gonna be okay.

CD has altered my perspective on a few subjects as well, which I am always in favor of.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:38 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,302,629 times
Anchorage is a giant turd (no offense to anyone that lives there). I always notice a lot of shady people walking around. To be fair to anchorage, I mostly have just driven through on my way to the kenai or going to the airport so there's probably really nice areas I don't see. Anyways, the only way I would ever consider living in Anchorage is if I had a really high paying (100k+) job there and I would still have hesitations .

I don't want to even think about the high bush prices. The price differences between fairbanks (which is expensive in itself) is shocking compared to the prices in delta only two hours away and on a main road. I do shop local for a lot of things, but for bigger more expensive items and building supplies, etc I'm forced to go to fairbanks or the internet. I also pick up groceries when I'm in fairbanks and it's amazing how much I can get for so little at Fred Myer compared to here in town. I usually spend at least $60-$80 everytime I shop at the IGA here and that gets me maybe 5 bags of groceries.

Anyways, stock up on supplies while your in Anchorage and then get out of dodge while you're still sane!

Old 04-03-2016, 07:39 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,302,629 times
Oops duplicate post

Old 04-03-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Anchorage is a giant turd (no offense to anyone that lives there). I always notice a lot of shady people walking around. To be fair to anchorage, I mostly have just driven through on my way to the kenai or going to the airport so there's probably really nice areas I don't see. Anyways, the only way I would ever consider living in Anchorage is if I had a really high paying (100k+) job there and I would still have hesitations .

I don't want to even think about the high bush prices. The price differences between fairbanks (which is expensive in itself) is shocking compared to the prices in delta only two hours away and on a main road. I do shop local for a lot of things, but for bigger more expensive items and building supplies, etc I'm forced to go to fairbanks or the internet. I also pick up groceries when I'm in fairbanks and it's amazing how much I can get for so little at Fred Myer compared to here in town. I usually spend at least $60-$80 everytime I shop at the IGA here and that gets me maybe 5 bags of groceries.

Anyways, stock up on supplies while your in Anchorage and then get out of dodge while you're still sane!
Oh, oops! I thought Pitts was back for a minute there. Bahahah! Just teasing!! I laughed out loud at your 1st sentence.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:30 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,517,187 times
ROFLMAO Riceme.... Pitts took over 6.7's account there for a minute...

6.7 you do have to go to the non-main areas of Anchorage to fd nice area. They are here. I, too, have the same reservations as you do about some areas in Anchorage as well.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:45 AM

191 posts, read 287,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post

What do you think of Fairbanks?

Old 04-04-2016, 04:30 AM

460 posts, read 608,941 times
Have never felt unsafe in Anchorage. I lived in Mountain View and Spenard when I first moved up here. That was over 20 years ago, but now that I am older and have experienced more, seedy neighborhoods do not scare me. Put me in some areas of Chicago or Las Angeles and that might be a different story. While you are in Anchorage, if you can take some time to go to the Valley and check out 3 Bears grocery on Trunk Road. They are like a mini Costco and will do bush orders for no shipping or handling charges and will ship how you want. I sometimes do an order for produce for priority and would be able to get it here in a couple of days. You can do an email order too. It hit 50 yesterday, but still have a foot of snow on the ground. It will be all gone in about 3 weeks though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska