Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 02:18 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,171,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKezarWoodsman View Post
Hi, ive been trying to look for hub communities around interior/central alaska (forested parts as i have no desire for the artic tundra areas like bethel/barrow), but i can not seem to find lists that mention alot in this area, and those towns that are, do not seem to be hubs, or to have infastructure similar to other hubs elsewhere (all i need in the truest sense is a 24/7 hospital for very basic emergencys). Most mention towns like Tok, or Tanana/Nenana, but these are all much further off-the-grid than i could handle. I am wondering if there are any towns similar to bethel/barrow/ect in this part of the state (off road system), or if they are all on the road system?

Sorry for my continous posts, trying to gain some information from Alaskans, alot of things on the Internet seem to be from people who visit alaska, love it, but have no experience there, or move there without a plan and fail miserbly and bash the state.

P.s. Hope your enjoying the cold before summer, its already hitting the 80s here, but i see fairbanks is a nice comfortable 54 degrees (yes i know fairbanks reaches the 90s in mid summer, but its not there... yet...)
If the communities on the road are to far off grid, for you, you need to stick with the Fairbanks area. Anything off the road will be even more remote than those road communities.

Another thing, is that the interior may not be for you. The interior is large and harsh. Not a lot of people that live there. As a matter of fact, a village with 500 people is rare and LARGE, yet on the coast it would be considered small.

Find out which villages have a hospital and target those areas. Also, don't be afraid to look into South West Alaska. Is there Tundra here? Sure is, but we also have mountains, and forests.

Most interior villages will have a health clinic, that would have someone on call after hours, and with medevac insurance (costs $125 year for a household) you can get out in a true emergency.

Here is the thing about a hospital though in the bush. There are good doctors. There are bad doctors. We made 4 trips to the ER in 5 days before our son's ruptured appendix was discovered. Two chest X-rays to check for upper respiratory infection before they finally decided they should look at his stomach (even though both were clear and we showed them where he was complaining of pain). I'm lucky he lived, it was that bad when they finally ordered the medevac.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 04:36 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,809 times
now very off topic, but doesnt deserve its own post. It also seems like the southeast area would be a good fit, but i am wondering if the snow that falls there tends to stick? or if there is almost never any snow on the ground in winter.

Old 05-20-2016, 04:39 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,617,571 times
Have you looked at the Kenai Peninsula? Soldotna has a hospital and I think Homer has a small one. Plenty of small towns within an hour of either place.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:05 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,105,523 times
Quote:
Wasnt wacked off, however silly it sounds my dog tripped me and it hit some of that plastic twine you get at home depot i was using to suspend some stuff, its safe to say its really strong.

Also, that probally would be the best idea to live close enough to FBs
Sort of irrelevant, but I did actually cut the top of my thumb off and the ER doc at FMH (Fairbanks Memorial Hospital, for the OP) sewed it back on. I can't really feel the end of my thumb anymore, but at least I have one. They were pretty great. I refused pain medication (don't ask me why, I must have been out of my mind) and I can say in all truthfulness that it was still probably the least traumatic trip to the ER I have ever made.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:05 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
Have you looked at the Kenai Peninsula? Soldotna has a hospital and I think Homer has a small one. Plenty of small towns within an hour of either place.
I might be wrong, but I don't think they're open 24 hours. I believe they keep business hours. I am too lazy to google and find out, though.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:26 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,809 times
Isnt that area extremenly expensive (by alaska standards), seems like it would be the alaskan Mount Desert Island, with rich people from nearby states (or nearish by) coming in to buy land.

MDI is in maine, commonly known for acadia np.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:37 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
There aren't any "communitys" in Alaska, although I'm sure there are communities.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:48 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
There aren't any "communitys" in Alaska, although I'm sure there are communities.
Wow. We have a genius among us.

Knock it off. No one's impressed. You should have realized that the last time you came around here trying to play spelling cop.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
ceriuslee?

Old 05-20-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
now very off topic, but doesnt deserve its own post. It also seems like the southeast area would be a good fit, but i am wondering if the snow that falls there tends to stick? or if there is almost never any snow on the ground in winter.
Not southeast, southwest.

I'm lazy right now, so what are you actually wanting to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska