Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 11:44 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,614,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I might be wrong, but I don't think they're open 24 hours. I believe they keep business hours. I am too lazy to google and find out, though.
As far as I know they are a fully functioning hospital: Central Peninsula Hospital with a 24 hour ER, ICU, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 08:48 AM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,387,945 times
No, i asked about the southeast and snow. I know the southwest gets snow, but not sure regarding the southeast (juneau, ketchikan (spelling), ect).

Old 05-23-2016, 10:16 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKezarWoodsman View Post
No, i asked about the southeast and snow. I know the southwest gets snow, but not sure regarding the southeast (juneau, ketchikan (spelling), ect).
Ok. I wasn't exactly sure, b/c i mentioned SW and it really isn't talked about very often. The SE comment just kind of came out of nowhere.

What is your plan?

Old 05-23-2016, 02:09 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,707,782 times
Quote:
now very off topic, but doesnt deserve its own post. It also seems like the southeast area would be a good fit, but i am wondering if the snow that falls there tends to stick? or if there is almost never any snow on the ground in winter.
Snow cover isn't consistent unless you're up around Haines. I've seen years with no snow at all and others with plenty of it.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Snow cover isn't consistent unless you're up around Haines. I've seen years with no snow at all and others with plenty of it.
Good to know, this would mean the southeast is not for me, as i tend to prefer a "real" winter, and a "milder" summer (about 80 degrees-90 degrees depending on humidity, when i was in the southwest i handled high 90s absolutely fine, but out east 80 is about my mid-summer comfort maximum)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
What is your plan?
not much at the moment, only researching areas to live and industry to go into. More or less trying to plan out a plan, if that makes any sense. Doing more research off of here, the FB/NS borough (correct if y'all use different abbreviations) seems to be a good shot. Placing at about 11-13 people per Sq Mile, it would end up being about as rural as Aroostook County Maine (AC from here out refers to this, and not the great device that is used during heat waves to make it nice and cold), which in my opinion has fairly decent population. Compared to the towns there (sorry for continued comparisons to Maine, that is my most comfortably known rural state), there is only 1 or 2 towns over 10k, and a lot more towns in the 100s (being suburbs of Fairbanks). AC seems to be fairly condensed as well into a few towns (they have 2 or 3 at about 10k each, and alot at 5k, with a alot in the hundreds, but one can never get far from a 5-10k town except for the extreme northwest section).

Regarding industry, im looking at either Information Technology (systems/networking) (i have a lot of experience, many family members do it, and while i do not enjoy programming, i find some joy in management of networks), or preferably forestry, which while alive and well in Maine (in the forest management part, logging is dying fast), is dead in most other areas (again taking into account i would want to live in Alaska primarily, or the far northern Rockies/northern Maine (they are about tied). Looking at jobs in Alaska i notice a lot of IT jobs, some want you in state, others actually seem to want out of state residents, while forestry jobs are few and far between (only 18 posted on indeed as of right now, centered in either the S.E. Anchorage (i would not do anchorage, to urban), and 1 or 2 in Fairbanks.

Overall, wherever i end up i would want to work in one of those two industry, and in my off-time do the hobbies i enjoy, hiking, snowshoeing, snowmobiling, hunting, fishing, cross country skiing (starting to see why all the states im looking at border Canuck-Land) and i plan to start trapping at some point as well. While i would not want to live fully self sustainable/have a 100% subsistence lifestyle (no money in it), i would like to do said activities to reach a degree of sustainability, while balancing a "normal" life as many people do across this nation (and a lot of Canada).

Well that is about it for right now, i currently have to get going for a few once more, but i will be back. And once again, thank you for all your help.

Last edited by TheKezarWoodsman; 05-24-2016 at 01:54 PM..

Old 05-24-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
not much at the moment, only researching areas/industrys. More or less trying to plan out a plan, if that makes any sense.
Stay on the road then.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Stay on the road then.
Thats what i am currently gathering here, i kinda made this thread to see what the Hubs would be like, and if there was anything, but as it was to a degree what i was expecting, to a degree not, i heavily agree with this statement (one never knows, i could settle in Fairbanks, and want to move out to (insert hub/village here) in a year or two, i may never want to leave the road system, or i could hit ****it, this is horrible, and move down to the -48. One can never tell what the future may bring, they can only take an educated guess, and i hope i am smart enough when the time comes.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:36 PM

195 posts, read 278,441 times
Quote:
now very off topic, but doesnt deserve its own post. It also seems like the southeast area would be a good fit, but i am wondering if the snow that falls there tends to stick? or if there is almost never any snow on the ground in winter.
It does snow in the SE, and sometimes it sticks around for awhile. It'd be pretty unlikely to get a winter with no snow. In Juneau, for example, we will get really heavy and wet snow and then the rain will wash it away after a few days, but if it stays cold enough it can snow a ton and stick around. There's always precipitation happening in that area...just depends on the temperature what form it's in.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:46 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,707,782 times
I've seen plenty of winters with no snow in SE. Just depends on where you're at. For someone who wants consistent snow cover for winter sports, SE isn't a good idea, especially the southern part (think I read somewhere that the OP was interested n snow sports). Juneau has a snowmachine club though.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 05-24-2016 at 03:02 PM..

Old 05-24-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Thats what i am currently gathering here, i kinda made this thread to see what the Hubs would be like, and if there was anything, but as it was to a degree what i was expecting, to a degree not, i heavily agree with this statement (one never knows, i could settle in Fairbanks, and want to move out to (insert hub/village here) in a year or two, i may never want to leave the road system, or i could hit ****it, this is horrible, and move down to the -48. One can never tell what the future may bring, they can only take an educated guess, and i hope i am smart enough when the time comes.
You edited your comment...lol

One thing you need to understand about trapping and hunting and fishing.

Trapping: Don't trap over someone's line. Trapping is very challenging b/c of land use issues. Not sure how it is where you want to go, but you may have to put some major mileage in to get to a trapping area for a new guy.

Hunting: Takes a year to be a resident, unless you are wanting to pay a lot of money for nonres tags. On the road you are competing with everyone else that is hunting from the road (this is where the off road living has an advantage). Make sure you stay off the native lands, unless you have permission and permits in place.

Fishing: I am assuming you mean subsistence? Is there anywhere with a solid salmon run up near Fairbanks?
Also it takes a year to establish residency for any type of subsistence fishing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska