Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 11:29 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,090 times

Advertisements

Official request for some halibut recipes. My friend is killin it in Homer this weekend. Woohoo!

I got some good salmon recipes I'll share from my friend who's just returned from Kaltag subsistence fishing, but I left them on my desk at work on accident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 11:43 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
I cut my halibut into 1 1/2" cubes, wrap with slice of bacon and slide onto a skewer stick, place on grill and brush with BBQ sauce. They cook pretty quick so don't over do it and dry up the fish too much! Enjoy with a cold cheap beer!

Old 07-09-2016, 12:04 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,305,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I cut my halibut into 1 1/2" cubes, wrap with slice of bacon and slide onto a skewer stick, place on grill and brush with BBQ sauce. They cook pretty quick so don't over do it and dry up the fish too much! Enjoy with a cold pricey craft preferably an IPAbeer!
There I fixed it for you Sounds delicious though. Unfortunately, I won't have anytime to go halibut fishing this year.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I cut my halibut into 1 1/2" cubes, wrap with slice of bacon and slide onto a skewer stick, place on grill and brush with BBQ sauce. They cook pretty quick so don't over do it and dry up the fish too much! Enjoy with a cold cheap beer!
Oh, that will definitely be happening. That sounds really great. Thanks Rance!

Old 07-09-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
There I fixed it for you Sounds delicious though. Unfortunately, I won't have anytime to go halibut fishing this year.
Hey, don't discriminate, 6.7. I am an equal opportunity beer lover. I can get down with some PBR but I also really love delicious craft beer. I don't limit my opportunities. My friend did a favor for a halibut fisherman, so he and his buddies are on a free trip. That's the sort of trip you MAKE time for!

Here we are ready to head-out to Chickenstock with two visible cases of four PBR weighing down the tarps. At one point I had the truck loaded all nice and tight, then my trip mates forgot things (kitchen sink for your camping trip?) that had to be wedged-in and I eventually gave up on my packing job.

[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 07-10-2016, 10:46 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
I didn't want to mention any names...but PBR is excellent with the above mentioned halibut skewers.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:26 PM

I think I actually got this recipe from Met, but finally tried it last night. It is really good. A word of caution that you actually cannot (or should not) do it with frozen salmon. Tried it. It ends up tasting fine in the end, but it really pissed me off because the filets were frozen together until the very end, so I kept trying to pry them apart. We're going to do it again, next time with thawed fish .

I used 1/4 cup white wine and added a little bit of chicken broth to it. Delicious. I might add some mushrooms next time.

BRONZED ALASKA SALMON IN A BUTTER-WINE SAUCE

SERVES 4
PREP TIME 5 minutes
COOK TIME 15 minutes

INGREDIENTS

4 Alaska Salmon steaks or fillets (4 to 6 oz. each), fresh, thawed or frozen
1 Tablespoon olive, canola, peanut or grapeseed oil
2 Tablespoons of your favorite seafood seasoning
1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
1 Tablespoon butter

DIRECTIONS

Rinse any ice glaze from frozen Alaska Salmon under cold water; pat dry with paper towel. Heat a heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Brush both sides of salmon with oil. Place salmon in heated skillet and cook, uncovered, about 3 to 4 minutes, until browned. Shake pan occasionally to keep fish from sticking.

Turn salmon over and sprinkle with seafood seasoning. Cover pan tightly and reduce heat to medium. Cook for 2 minutes; add the wine and butter to pan. Continue to cook, uncovered, an additional 4 to 6 minutes for frozen salmon OR 1 to 2 minutes for fresh/thawed fish. Cook just until fish is opaque throughout and sauce is reduced.
Drizzle sauce over salmon when serving.

NUTRIENTS PER SERVING

Nutrients per serving: 235 calories, 11.5g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 46% calories from fat, 113mg cholesterol, 29g protein, 0.5g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 1034mg sodium, 18mg calcium and 1000mg omega-3 fatty acids.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:36 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
I made red huckleberry syrup the other day. Used wild berries, fireweed honey, and lemon juice. I extracted juice from the berries, added honey and a little lemon juice, and reduced it down to the thickness I wanted.

Old 08-06-2016, 03:10 PM

18 posts, read 19,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I made red huckleberry syrup the other day. Used wild berries, fireweed honey, and lemon juice. I extracted juice from the berries, added honey and a little lemon juice, and reduced it down to the thickness I wanted.
That sounds fantastic. But the instructions are just a tad too specific for me.

Last edited by ReedAK; 08-06-2016 at 04:00 PM..

Old 08-06-2016, 04:10 PM

18 posts, read 19,021 times
I cooked salmon the other day. I tossed it in a cast iron pan greased with bacon fat. Threw some salt and pepper on it. One squeeze of lemon. Maybe two. Maybe two and a half if I'm feeling naughty. Flipped it. Cooked it until how done I like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska