Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 09:02 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,124,582 times

Advertisements

'Tis the season, so I'll kick it off with my rhubarb pie recipe.

Mind you, I like it a little tart, so if you prefer sweet, add more sugar. Most recipes call for at least 1-1/3 cup sugar, which is way too sweet. I also do not pollute my rhubarb with the likes of strawberries.

Rhubarb Pie

6 cups rhubarb, trimmed and chopped into ~3/4" pieces
3/4 cup sugar
2 T cornstarch
zest of one(ish) lemon
Pillsbury pre-made pie dough... in the dairy aisle at Safeway
egg white for pie top

Roll one pie crust into a deep dish pie pan. Sprinkle a small handful (out of your 3/4c) of sugar onto the bottom of the raw pie dough.

Mix rhubarb, sugar, cornstarch and lemon zest in a big bowl then heap it into your pie dish. Do not add water. Rhubarb has a lot of water, and needs the cornstarch to make it set up properly.

Roll the second pie crust over the top of your pie and cut slits in the top. Smash the edges together with your thumbs. Use a baster to brush the top of the crust with the egg white wash.

450*F for 15 minutes then reduce to 350*F for 30 minutes, but keep an eye on it. Let it cool. You have to let the cornstarch set or it will be soupy.

One of my recent pies:

http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/...1.jpg~original

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 11:14 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,911,733 times
This is a really good idea.

I make this salmonberry/blackberry pie by making my grandmother's classic pie crust (uses lard, black bear, or seal grease) and filling it with salmonberries or blackberries are a combination of the two rolled lightly in sugar. Then I mix equal parts of sour cream/creamed cheese and kind of spoon it onto various parts of the pie. I make a crumb crust for the top out of bread crumbs, sugar, cinnamon, and then bake until it is done at 350 F.

It tastes like a berry pie with little chunks of cheesecake in it.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:37 PM

20,318 posts, read 37,332,494 times
Riceme,

How about a campsite or outdoors recipe for the whole family, one kids and adults enjoy?

INGREDIENTS

a. Your favorite precooked sausage (or beer brats, Italian sausage, and so on)
b. Potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
c. Olive oil (substitute with your favorite Italian dressing)
d. Vinegar (or Italian dressing)
e. A large onion, cut into medium size pieces
f. Celery, cut into pieces (you want lots of celery and onion)
g. A can of black olives, cut in halves or quarters
h. Mrs Dash, or any spices you like
i. Some sea salt one can add to the individual meals if needed

1. Keep in mind that if you use raw sausage, you may want to boil them until cooked before using them, and before the next step. Also, you want to use a high BTU propane stove. The sausage has to be cut into small pieces, and this is always easy to do if they are cooked first.

2. Start boiling the potatoes. In a large frying pan or wok over a hot burner, pour-in some olive oil and add pieces of the sausage, then the celery, onion a few short minutes later, and then the black olives. Meanwhile mix the ingredients in the pan non stop with a large spoon. When the celery and onion are cooked to your liking, a little crunchy, pour in some vinegar (or the Italian dressing), and let it fry a little longer.

3. Drain the potatoes, and pour in the sausage mix over the potatoes. Or just put some potatoes in a bowl, and then spoon some of the sausage mix over the potatoes (include some of the liquid from the frying pan). Root beer is quite delicious with this meal.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:41 PM

^that looks great Ray, especially since I do not eat mayonnaise! It's a little like how I make my potato salad, which I prefer served warm but is also good cold. I just took about 2 gallons of this to Chickenstock:

cubed roasted red potatoes
sauteed large onion & lots of garlic
can of artichoke hearts in water, chopped up a little
mix with Annie's Sesame & ****ake salad dressing (or your favorite Italian, Basalmic Vinegarette, etc), horseradish, some Dijon mustard, Montreal Chicken seasoning, coarse ground pepper,... whatever else you like
Fresh chives on top
Fresh grated Parmesan is good on top too

In the past I have added things that sounded good or that I had laying around... pink or pinto beans, roasted pine nuts,... just no mayo!!

Old 06-13-2016, 01:23 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,927,586 times
We have a bumper crop of rhubarb this year. I'm going to try that pie!

Old 06-13-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
We have a bumper crop of rhubarb this year. I'm going to try that pie!
Ours are still pretty puny cos we got a bunch of dirt work done and the little ones got wiped out early on

I used to make my pie crusts from scratch but my uncle turned me on to those pre-made ones and completely ruined me for life. My mom would be so ashamed, haha

Old 06-13-2016, 03:32 PM

11,173 posts, read 8,027,158 times
I am waiting for the recipe for moose nose soup! Lol

Old 06-13-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
^that looks great Ray, especially since I do not eat mayonnaise! It's a little like how I make my potato salad, which I prefer served warm but is also good cold. I just took about 2 gallons of this to Chickenstock:

cubed roasted red potatoes
sauteed large onion & lots of garlic
can of artichoke hearts in water, chopped up a little
mix with Annie's Sesame & Sh*take salad dressing (or your favorite Italian, Basalmic Vinegarette, etc), horseradish, some Dijon mustard, Montreal Chicken seasoning, coarse ground pepper,... whatever else you like
Fresh chives on top
Fresh grated Parmesan is good on top too

In the past I have added things that sounded good or that I had laying around... pink or pinto beans, roasted pine nuts,... just no mayo!!
^I just realized that the dirty word filter hates mushrooms. Fixed.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:37 PM

20,318 posts, read 37,332,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
^I just realized that the dirty word filter hates mushrooms. Fixed.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:00 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,329,053 times
Does anyone have a good salmon salad/dip recipe that's similar to chicken salad? May be going dipnetting soon and not really a huge salmon fan but loved this salmon dip/salad stuff I had at a party last year. I think there was small celery chunks in it as well.

While not an Alaskan recipe per say, we have been making "hobo packets" everytime we've had a fire this year. Basically we get two large sheets of tinfoil and put any kind of meat cut into chunks, red potatoes, sweet onions, a whole bunch of peppers and whatever other veggies we can scrounge up from the store and combine them in the tin foil "bowl" so no juice can escape. We then heavily season them and add a half can of beer or so for moisture. Sit it on some hot coals for an hour or so and you have a delicious outdoor meal that will impress and feed your friends and it's almost impossible to screw up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska