Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 03:27 PM

24,409 posts, read 27,001,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurijock View Post
Hello, I'm from the lower 48 and I made a post on here before about moving to AK. I've done a lot of research after posting here and it seems like the Palmer/Wasilla area is the safest, least crime ridden town. Is that true? I just want to know how safe I am if I decide to go for a walk by myself (regarding humans. Obviously I need to be prepared in case of a bear).

I live in central florida, which has a crap ton of crime. Every day there are killings and shootings of some kind, so I'm kind of desensitized and I don't mind being by myself doing things (during the day, anyways).

I'm a young girl btw. I just want to know if there's a good history of sexual assault or anything I need to be aware of, I've tried looking on that Raiders site (a site I found while looking at the crime statistics offered by the Anchorage police I believe?) but it's different to hear it from someone living there. Because if someone were to look at sex offenders in my area they would be alarmed while I would tell them it's fine (which if you look it up on the map, and if each sex offender equals a red dot on the map, where I live it is absolutely completely red for miles around me with few areas of non-red. Gross people come to FL I guess.) and I still feel comfortable enough to ride my bike.

However, I feel comfortable because I live in a very large suburban area. Only about 60k people here compared to Anchorage's 300k, but even on the outskirts of my city lies another city, and another, and another..all ranging from 50-700k people so I don't feel too alone and in immediate danger.

I want to move to Palmer/Wasilla pretty badly, it's so beautiful there and it seems quieter. But to my knowledge, there are less people there too so it makes me think there may be a higher chance of crime? (If I was a criminal I would go to the least populated area that was stretched out more rather than a big city, but maybe that's just me?)

You can read the crime statistics on city-data... people think Alaska has no crime but there are a lot of misc crime because of alcohol and drug addictions. I know Central Florida very well and communities like Winter Park, Lake Mary, Oviedo, Windermere just to name a few are A LOT safer than Wasilla or Palmer.

Some people think of Alaska as being trees, wilderness and no crime, but the crime rate is actually above the national average generally speaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Much safer than Florida.

I'm also attracted to Palmer, not so much with Wasilla. Of course, you'll have to check them out yourself.
Very general and inaccurate statement...

There are cities in Florida that are 100x more safer than Wasilla or Palmer.

Likewise, there are cities that are 100x more dangerous than Wasilla or Palmer.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:22 PM

10,571 posts, read 7,781,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Very general and inaccurate statement...

There are cities in Florida that are 100x more safer than Wasilla or Palmer.

Likewise, there are cities that are 100x more dangerous than Wasilla or Palmer.
Not really. The safest city in Florida has a violent crime index of 23, while Palmer's is 100.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Not really. The safest city in Florida has a violent crime index of 23, while Palmer's is 100.
lol, are you the type of person to be like, "no it doesn't cost $10, it cost $9.99"

Old 07-18-2016, 10:10 PM

10,571 posts, read 7,781,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
lol, are you the type of person to be like, "no it doesn't cost $10, it cost $9.99"

LOL, Windermere ("alot safer") has the same violent crime rate as Palmer. That's a far cry from 100X less, Mr. "Accuracy"

Last edited by Arktikos; 07-18-2016 at 10:22 PM..

Old 07-18-2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
LOL, Windermere ("alot safer") has the same violent crime rate as Palmer. That's a far cry from 100X less.
Windermere Crime Index - 58.9
Lake Mary
Crime Index- 149.6

Oviedo Crime Index- 108.0
Lake Mary Crime Index- 149.6
Wasilla Crime Index - 387.6
Palmer Crime Index - 216.1
Anchorage Crime Index - 466.4
National Average
Crime Index - 287.5

Windermere is A LOT safer than Wasilla and Palmer in my opinion.

Keep trying to cherry pick and take sayings literally though The point I'm trying to make across to the OP is if the reason for moving is to escape crime, she or he will regret their decision because Alaska isn't crime free or even close to being crime free. There are towns in Central Florida where the OP currently lives that are safer than Wasilla or Palmer, so moving to escape crime doesn't make sense. I used to live in Wasilla and Anchorage and spent almost a year in Palmer as well.

SOURCE: CITY-DATA

Last edited by bmw335xi; 07-18-2016 at 10:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska