Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 09:49 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Bummer about the lack of bar. Something about being on a boat with a bunch of strangers for days on end makes me want to have a few beers. I do plan on a eventual ferry trip on the marine highway, hopefully this coming year. Have never been.

Can you bring a few beers of your own to consume on board? Can you smoke tabacco and/or legal cannabis on board? Can you transport legal cannabis on board within the state? Say you lived in Hoonah but wanted legal cannabis from a store in Juneau? Just curious.
I think there may be an area on the deck designated for tobacco smokers to huddle outdoors in the cold wind and rain. No smoking at all inside.

Not sure about weed. Back in the Stone Age, the solarium section of the ferry was a fairly relaxed environment where smoking and drinking happened, but I wouldn't try it now. I don't know about the transporting laws, but they don't rifle through your stuff or scan it to my knowledge. They just sort of looked in the back of my truck through the window for about five seconds last time I came up from Bellingham.

ETA this is what it says about weed on the official website:

Quote:
Please note that regardless of recent measures in the states of Alaska and Washington that decriminalize recreational use of marijuana, it remains a prohibited substance under federal law. Federal law prohibits possession and transportation of marijuana.
I brought a bottle of wine to consume in my stateroom -- ferry rules say that's okay. But I ended up saving it because drinking alone in a tiny stateroom was was more pathetic than I wanted to be.

I take the local ferry fairly often over to Ketchikan (to the tune of $300 round trip ffs) -- we splintered off from the Alaska Marine Highway quite a few years ago because they only wanted to provide twice-per-week service. Our ferry goes every day, so I guess the extra cost is worth it.

The whole "put the tourist season before the locals" is a two-sided-sword. Many of the businesses on my island and other outliers depend heavily on tourist trade. Locals are also doing more traveling during the summer with school out and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 09:57 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,100,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post

The whole "put the tourist season before the locals" is a two-sided-sword. Many of the businesses on my island and other outliers depend heavily on tourist trade. Locals are also doing more traveling during the summer with school out and all.
Oh, trust me, I am very sensitive to how important tourists are to our economy, particularly in our current economic climate. I do not enjoy them, but when I see busload after busload of tourists every summer, I see the dollar signs very clearly.

Still, there is something really crass about prioritizing tourists over local needs, even though I understand the sort of symbiotic relationship.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:20 PM

I think it's a little different out here. Once you get off the main Ketch/Juneau/Sitka/Skagway main drag, the tourists that come to SE by ferry tend to be people who spend entire summers here -- they get to know people, they become an actual part of these communities, and they've got real money to spend compared to bargain cruise shippers. It's refreshing compared to what you see in other parts of the state. I remember sitting on a bench in front of the liquor store in Talkeetna a few years ago when I was accosted by a tourist fresh off a bus. She asked me, "what do they do in the winter, just close the town?" FFS.

The ferries are jam packed during the summer and often run at half-capacity during the off season. I wish there were an easy way around that, but the whole system is running at a loss.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-22-2016 at 10:44 PM..

Old 11-22-2016, 10:52 PM

That is nice to know because I have a very negative association with tourists, and have to constantly remind myself of how much money they bring to the state, and even to Fox via the Gulch.

I had a friend from -48 ask me the same thing a couple years ago. After a stunned silence, I answered, no ("cabin fever," let's all say it together!). He then asked me if we stayed home from work when it was cold. Uhh, no. Jiminy crickets

Old 11-22-2016, 11:01 PM

I told the tourist that no, Talkeetna actually comes to life when the tourists stop coming because people can go out in public without being annoyed by rude ****sticks.

It gets better when you get past the cruise ship/inland tours thing. Most of that is owned and operated by Outside interests.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-22-2016 at 11:22 PM..

Old 11-22-2016, 11:58 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
en.

Can you bring a few beers of your own to consume on board? Can you smoke tabacco and/or legal cannabis on board? Can you transport legal cannabis on board within the state? Say you lived in Hoonah but wanted legal cannabis from a store in Juneau? Just curious.
Yes, yes, yes.

People regularly smoke cigs off the back, and occasionally pot.

Transporting pot on the ferries could
be prosecuted by the feds, but only if state law officials decided to turn over a case to them-which they won't unless you do something really outrageous and stupid.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:14 AM

Regarding the weed, etc., on ferries, see below for similar circumstance on a commercial flight

8 grams of marijuana surrendered at Fairbanks airport clarifies rules on flying with pot in Alaska
http://www.adn.com/alaska-marijuana/...pot-in-alaska/

Old 11-23-2016, 09:21 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
^Interesting story.

"Fly out with it, at your own peril."

Well, no one will be inspecting your luggage on the other end of your flight, nor will anyone be checking your possessions on the ferries interstate.

Not likely that the feds will be looking to bust someone for pot upon arrival in Bellingham either.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:08 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,008 times
So, some of you guys and gals are seriously complaining because you either can't or don't want to take a simple boat ride without an adult beverage in your hands.

Seriously???

I appreciate adult beverages but honestly, that's pretty weak.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:22 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
I was halfway kidding around. Although I would prefer if there was a bar available on board, I never said I can't or wouldn't want to take the ferry because of the lack of one. The other questions were just because I was genuinely curious with the new laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska