Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 12:46 AM

2,309 posts, read 902,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoStrata View Post
I've heard the joke that the mosquito is the Alaskan state bird. My uncle claims that when he visited his brother who lived in Anchorage at the time, that he heard a low hum that he thought was a lawn mower but actually mosquitoes.

So do Alaskans stumble through swarms of bloodsuckers every summer or is it exaggerated? I understand why there would be mosquitoes in boggy areas, like where the permafrost partially melts during summer. I assume the worst areas for mosquitoes are areas where there is partial permafrost, and that they aren't as bad in the southeast or anywhere without permafrost.
The average man is at risk of being flown off by these things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 02:39 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
I was talking with a friend about the mosquitos this summer, and we agreed that there are hardly any mosquitos around Fairbanks and North Pole. Maybe because it has been a relatively cool summer, but I have no idea other that I didn't even have to set the Mosquito Magnet on my yard this year. Also, I haven't noticed any wasps nor any other bugs around. Bug spray at the local stores aren't selling very much.

But there are bunnies all over my backyard this year, and it's driving Nikki crazy

Old 07-28-2017, 04:57 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,872,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Anything smaller than a St Bernard is at risk for being flown off to be sucked dry.
That's an exaggeration, of course.

But the following isn't.

I was camping, and the mosquitos were so thick I just stayed in my lightweight tent. The mosquitos kept sticking their beaks through the thin nylon, so I took my claw hammer & bent their beaks over. At some point there were so many that they just flew away with the tent.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:16 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,272,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
That's an exaggeration, of course.

But the following isn't.

I was camping, and the mosquitos were so thick I just stayed in my lightweight tent. The mosquitos kept sticking their beaks through the thin nylon, so I took my claw hammer & bent their beaks over. At some point there were so many that they just flew away with the tent.
Hopefully you weren't in it!

So just HOW bad are the mosquitoes-alaska-2012-912b.jpg

Sign outside of Chatanika Lodge Restaurant

Old 07-28-2017, 09:21 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,819,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoStrata View Post
I've heard the joke that the mosquito is the Alaskan state bird. My uncle claims that when he visited his brother who lived in Anchorage at the time, that he heard a low hum that he thought was a lawn mower but actually mosquitoes.

So do Alaskans stumble through swarms of bloodsuckers every summer or is it exaggerated? I understand why there would be mosquitoes in boggy areas, like where the permafrost partially melts during summer. I assume the worst areas for mosquitoes are areas where there is partial permafrost, and that they aren't as bad in the southeast or anywhere without permafrost.
What states don't facetiously call the mosquito their state 'bird'?

Old 09-03-2017, 02:27 AM

41 posts, read 188,168 times
Waaall, aback in '88 I was sitting in the Glass Door in Yakutat, when a man runs in and screams that the mosquitoes were trying to fly off with a school bus. One of the short ones.

Waaall, in Yakutat they hunt mosquitoes with rifles. Alas, no guns in the bar.

Big as eagles they were.

Too bad about those kids ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska