Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 04:53 PM

3 posts, read 5,737 times

Advertisements

I have been living TN sicne 1995 and came here form N.Y.C. I am tired of living here and want to relocate to AK with my husband and family. i would greatly appreciate information on the schools, crime rate jobs and housing. I really want to be able to have all my ducks in a row bofore I move my family thst far. Any and all help is appreciated.
Thanks
JOJO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 06:55 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,952,313 times
Alaska Job Center Network

adn.com | Alaska News, Jobs, Cars, Homes, Rentals, Classifieds and more

Peninsula Clarion

The towns here are spread out over a vast area. What area are you considering. I'm not into looking up all this info for every town we have. Go here:Alaska Bigger Cities (over 6000 residents) and start looking for a town the size your interested in.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:56 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,954,736 times
This is a huge state. The answers to your questions are going to be different depending on location.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:19 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,749,592 times
Have you ever been here before? Why do so many people say they want to move here before they have ever even experienced any of it? Maybe I'm jaded. When I was working for DPS we served lots of evicitions on people that couldn't wait to move to Alaska and then a few months later didn't have enough money to leave.

Any problems a person has in Podunk or Bugtussle America will only be magnified 10 times in Alaska. When your at the end of the road and out of gas things look really bleak......

Old 03-20-2008, 07:32 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,954,736 times
Pretty much so, stiffnecked. You live in Ketchikan, right? About 20 years ago I was in the Arctic Bar with a couple of friends and this drunk guy started talking to us--told us the only reason he moved to our blankety blank state was to get rich, and asked if we knew where he could get a job on a fishing boat. My friends and I were all highly involved in the salmon industry at the time, but...this was in November. None of us would have recommended the guy for a job on a seiner anyway. So much for hanging at the local pub and thinking a fishing job is going to land in your lap.

I think though that this is going to be a banner year for people coming up. I don't know if it's the TV shows or Penn's film or what.

There seem to be a lot of posts lately from people thinking that Alaska is going to fix their lives, and you're so right on when you say that their problems will only be magnified. I'm not saying the OP falls into that category so I do hope I've hurt no feelings here.

But--it has so damned little left to give to you people. Especially SE.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:03 PM

20,329 posts, read 37,368,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Pretty much so, stiffnecked. You live in Ketchikan, right? About 20 years ago I was in the Arctic Bar with a couple of friends and this drunk guy started talking to us--told us the only reason he moved to our blankety blank state was to get rich, and asked if we knew where he could get a job on a fishing boat. My friends and I were all highly involved in the salmon industry at the time, but...this was in November. None of us would have recommended the guy for a job on a seiner anyway. So much for hanging at the local pub and thinking a fishing job is going to land in your lap.

I think though that this is going to be a banner year for people coming up. I don't know if it's the TV shows or Penn's film or what.

There seem to be a lot of posts lately from people thinking that Alaska is going to fix their lives, and you're so right on when you say that their problems will only be magnified. I'm not saying the OP falls into that category so I do hope I've hurt no feelings here.

But--it has so damned little left to give to you people. Especially SE.
It's kind of sad seen all these people just "moving to Alaska" without much research, nor without having a good paying job lined-up ahead of time. I have posted several times already that just for utilities (heating fuel, and electricity), my wife and I are already paying $600.00 per month, and that by summer it should be around $750.00 to $800.00 if heating fuel reaches a point near $4.00 per gallon. I have also told that I am working on my second retirement, and so my wife, because of the high cost of living in Alaska (near Fairbanks). Will newcomers pay attention to what we are trying to tell them? I doubt it.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:30 AM

3 posts, read 5,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo2172000 View Post
I have been living TN sicne 1995 and came here form N.Y.C. I am tired of living here and want to relocate to AK with my husband and family. i would greatly appreciate information on the schools, crime rate jobs and housing. I really want to be able to have all my ducks in a row bofore I move my family thst far. Any and all help is appreciated.
Thanks
JOJO
I have visited before, in fact I just got back 2 weeks ago. I liked the town of Wasilla and have made acouple of firends up there. I liked the mountains and the way people seemed so laid back. believ it or not I experienced more hospitality there than here in the South. I went up there to visit but fell in love with it. My husband and I just want to be sure when we move we make the right choices. We are going to move from TN to where ever just haven't made a final decision.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:19 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,672,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Bugtussle America will only be magnified 10 times in Alaska. When your at the end of the road and out of gas things look really bleak......
I really like the word "Bugtussle"...classic!

Old 03-21-2008, 04:57 PM

45 posts, read 212,359 times
jojo, Just curious....what made you first think about moving to Alaska?

Old 03-21-2008, 07:35 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,059,138 times
On paper, the crime rate seems pretty high, but I have never had a problem. Stay away from places where people are acting stupid, use your head and you will be fine.

The schools are OK. In any school, you get what you make of it.

I live between Palmer and Wasilla. I have lived in many other places in the state but never SE. I like the Valley the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska