Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 01:16 AM

122 posts, read 573,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Yup. It has all the downsides of Alaska but not of the upsides.
I guess that means there's people down in the lower 48 that are just as hardy as those Alaskans, eh?

Still plannin' on comin' up there and tilling the entire Mat-Su valley with barley, oats, rye and a new variety of winter wheat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 01:25 AM

2,628 posts, read 6,888,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOAD View Post
I guess that means there's people down in the lower 48 that are just as hardy as those Alaskans, eh?
I didn't say that. You may have the weather, but daylight in north dakota is a non-issue, and don't even get me started about remoteness. Even our big cities are so far in the boondocks, there's no equivalent in the lesser 48.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:32 AM

That's true. We do get about 7-1/2 hours daylight on our shortest day of the year. It is a little annoying, but only for working outside. You know, trying to fix the hay tractor in the pitch dark type of annoying.

There is a subtle (compared to Alaska) kind of remoteness to the western side of the state. Most of those folks have no real shopping other than groceries, hardware unless they travel 100-200 miles. And for any large metro areas for professional sports or concerts it often means Minneapolis 6-8 hours, or Denver 12-15 hours.

But anyway, I know this is the AK forum so whatever.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:03 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,653,295 times
Quote:
We have weather that is worse than Anchorage and similar to Fairbanks.
Your trolling is a bit annoying sonny. Statements like that are ridiculous; you clearly don't know what you're talking about and are saying things just to be ornery.

Quote:
On average, Fairbanks has an extra month of hardcore winter (subzero temps), but we beat them in the Summer with our 115F heat. Here it can be -45F with an -80F windchill, and six months later it can be 105-115F for two weeks straight.
The Fairbanks area hits 95F+ in four months of the summer, and in the winter temps are colder than -65F. Record high/low temperatures in the Interior cover a range of 180F. The coldest/warmest days of each year are usually more than 160F degrees different.

Quote:
ND has some of the harshest weather on the planet. Some days in the Spring and Fall, the weather can fluctuate by 60 degrees in a single day.
And in Fairbanks the record highs and lows for virtualy every day in January and February are separated by about 100, or more, degrees. 60 degree changes aren't exciting at all...

Quote:
You don't have to travel all the way to Alaska to have harsh weather... You don't even have to go to Canada.
If you say so, but people who live north of the Alaska Range might think that's hilarious.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:02 AM

Quote:
record highs and lows for virtualy every day in January and February
I am absolutely positive that you will not have a record high and a record low temperature on the same day, unless there is a nuclear disaster.

Our temperature swing (between record highs/lows) is nearly identical, but much greater during the summer. Fairbanks has a 60 degree variation, while we have an 82 degree variation.

Source: The Weather Channel at weather.com

PS: Still comin' up there with my eight wheeled tractor and my 84 foot air drill.

Last edited by FOAD; 03-26-2008 at 03:15 AM.. Reason: hooking up the flatbed just for the wheels.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:07 AM

2,628 posts, read 6,888,143 times
Quote:
One way to tell a lot about a group of people is to ruffle their feathers. I did do that a few times, but only to confirm my suspicions that Alaska, like most rural places, has difficult people to deal with. It just comes with the desolate territory. However, the glimpse I got from this forum so far, (and many hundreds, if not thousands of others that read it too) is that Alaskans are unnecessarily a pain in the behind three times out of five (but still helpful.)
Let me get this straight... You came here and purposefully said inflammatory things, and have the gall to judge us for reacting?
You got a lot of nerve, sonny. Best stay in the lesser 48 where your kind seem to be tolerated.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:05 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
The alleged remoteness of western ND does not in any way compare to rural, remote Alaska. In western ND they have the option of getting in thier motor vehicle and driving away. In the vast majority of Alaska no such option exists, period. Dude your just strange. I know your some kind of dirt farmer but who gives a flip? Stay there, till your dirt and plant your seeds if that's what floats your boat...

Old 03-26-2008, 06:24 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Yawn. I wish we'd attract a better class of troll than this foad character. He's quite a crashing bore.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:45 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,653,295 times
Quote:
I'm not trolling or trying to be ornery.
Stick with the truth, you'll do better. Denying the obvious (and then admitting it is true) is stupid.
Quote:
Also, my weather comparison is to Fairbanks, not anything on the North Slope.
Aren't you aware that Barrow weather is milder than Fairbanks? Why are you bringing up the North Slope?
Quote:
Fairbanks on average, is basically 13 degrees cooler in the Winter (creating an additional month of Winter) and Bismarck is on average, about 13 degrees warmer in the Summer (creating an additional month of Summer.) You'll be surprised that even though the cities are 2700 miles apart, the weather is not 2700 miles different.
So you are saying that Bismarck is vastly different than Fairbanks. Why deny it and then demonstrate that it is true? (That's just like claiming you aren't trolling, and then later admitting youare!)
Quote:
The weather you have in Barrow, of course, is a completely different animal since you are above the Arctic circle.
Fairbanks is so close to the Arctic Circle, compared to ND, that there is no point in making such a comparison with Barrow. Barrow weather is of course moderated greatly due to being surrounded on three sides by ocean...

You also suggested that each day in January and February does not have both a record high and low temperature. That's hilarious. Do you think it is always the same temperature each year when January 1 rolls around? Here's a chart for you, for the record highs and lows in the first week of February:

Day_ Hi__Low__Diff
1___ 43 _ -57 _ 100
2___ 43 _ -58 _ 101
3___ 39 _ -58 __ 98
4___ 42 _ -56 __ 98
5___ 39 _ -56 __ 85
6___ 40 _ -52 __ 92
7___ 37 _ -51 __ 88

As you can see, the record highs and lows are just about 100 degrees apart during that time of the year. And unlike coastal areas such as where I live, in Fairbanks they set records almost every year for at least 1 or 2 days. It's never at the average temperature for long in the Interior, as it just goes from at or near the record low to at or near the record high, back and forth all winter.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:58 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I'm in Montana right now and soon to leave

Thank Heaven.
What's up w/Montana? That's another state I thought of moving to. Bad experiences there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska