Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2018, 05:51 PM

27 posts, read 76,655 times

Advertisements

Hi. I have 10 days vacation at the end of October this year (October 20), and have always wanted to go to Alaska. I was considering Anchorage, Denali, and Fairbanks. What's Alaska generally like that time of the year? I've read the traditional tourist season is around mid May to mid September. Does Alaska have a fall? I know the state is massive and weather can vary by region. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 12:51 AM

23,445 posts, read 19,085,388 times
First, that late in fall most of the travel "destinations", tours, services and transportation options will be closed for winter. Days will be getting short, it will be wet/rainy along the more southern coast (Anchorage), starting to snow and freeze up farther north (Denali) and the Interior (Fairbanks), but it varies. Fall coloration will be mostly gone. Fall is more gradual in the coastal south, sharp and harder in the north. The Denali park road could be closed by snow earlier in October. Best to check with the park before planning a visit. In fact, check with the city tourism pages for activities that late.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-21-2018 at 01:04 AM..

Old 05-21-2018, 07:47 AM

10,620 posts, read 7,839,052 times
October is the wettest of the 12 wet months in the panhandle. Late in the month the rain is getting as cold as it can before turning to wet snow. And the dark season is kicking in. Not a great time to come to our state, but who knows, you might get lucky.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:23 AM

15,484 posts, read 9,167,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachlife9553 View Post
Hi. I have 10 days vacation at the end of October this year (October 20), and have always wanted to go to Alaska. I was considering Anchorage, Denali, and Fairbanks. What's Alaska generally like that time of the year? I've read the traditional tourist season is around mid May to mid September. Does Alaska have a fall? I know the state is massive and weather can vary by region. Thanks.
Sunrise and sunset times in Fairbanks
October 20 8:59AM - 6:09PM
October 30 9:32AM - 5:35PM

Sunrise and sunset times in Fairbanks, October 2018

Unless you want to spend a lot of time in the dark, you might want to push your trip up a bit.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:35 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,430,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachlife9553 View Post
You'd have a lot more fun if you picked different destinations IMO. Nothing to see in Anchorage or Fairbanks, save some good hiking around Anchorage (if you are wanting to hike a lot, then just stick around Anchorage). The weather will likely be bad that time of year but don't let that dissuade you.

Also, picking a smaller region of Alaska and seeing that is usually a better use of time than the endless driving it takes to get from city to city - especially when your payoff is either Anchorage or Fairbanks, yech.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:11 PM

20,308 posts, read 37,273,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
You'd have a lot more fun if you picked different destinations IMO. Nothing to see in Anchorage or Fairbanks, save some good hiking around Anchorage (if you are wanting to hike a lot, then just stick around Anchorage). The weather will likely be bad that time of year but don't let that dissuade you.

Also, picking a smaller region of Alaska and seeing that is usually a better use of time than the endless driving it takes to get from city to city - especially when your payoff is either Anchorage or Fairbanks, yech.
August has been the rainiest month around Fairbanks, and it starts falling just about the time when we have the local market fair. The Auroras can be seeing on clear nights from perhaps mid September, through April the following year. There are numerous hiking trails all around Fairbanks, even at UAF.

About that time of the year, the AK Railroad is still running from Anchorage to Fairbanks, and if you are a photographer the winter scenery will be nothing but outstanding. Also, you can visit some of the local breweries if you are into beer tasting and such.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:20 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,630,343 times
Late October will be well after summer, but probably before winter. So everything is going to be brown and dead.
Here's the details for Denali: https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvis...der-season.htm
And you'll need a rental car for your trip.
Traveling at that time of year, you'll get some cheaper prices on lodging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: