Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 10:28 PM

13 posts, read 13,679 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Just a little background on my self and my situation. My girlfriend and I are 26 and currently live in Colorado with our two dogs. We are planning to move to Alaska next summer and I was hoping to get some advice on where to start and maybe what to expect for housing and jobs. We visited Fairbanks, Anchorage, and the Kenai Peninsula and out of all that we saw, we liked the Kenai area the most as far as where we would want to live. We are both outdoorsy and are not scared of the long winters or cold weather, my only concern is to make sure that when we get up there we both find jobs and a place to live asap.

I currently work for the state of Colorado as a highway maintenance worker and have a class A CDL with experience on heavy equipment. Most of my work experience is construction related and that is the field I would like to stay in. I have great references and I would like to get something lined out before we make the move. I was hoping if somebody who knows the industry could give me some leads or just some insight on the availability of jobs that would be great! I am also open to other opportunities but definatly motivated by the money and not scared of hard work / long hours.

We have a small travel trailer that we will be bringing with us to live in until we find a place to live. We will have enough money to go without work for a few months if we had too and also to come back home if things don't work out like we hope. We are really excited about the move and would like to hear from some locals or people who have done this move before. Thanks for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 12:07 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Before finalizing your plans, look at the state of the economy of Alaska.

This was published in 2017, but things haven't changed for the better:
https://www.adn.com/business-economy...derate-so-far/

The recession was to end in 2019, but:
https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/AE...489133481.html

http://www.newsminer.com/news/alaska...6484473f6.html

Last edited by RayinAK; 07-06-2019 at 12:15 AM..

Old 07-06-2019, 12:46 AM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Don't make the move without solid job(s) lined up. Jobs with state or local public agencies may require residency to apply. The places you say prefer to live are places so many other people with similar skills and interests also want, partly because they are less remote, less harsh, more affordable, with more access to services. Be prepared for a lot of competition for few opportunities. IMHO, winter and cold are the least of most people's worries. Just in case you were thinking about it, don't plan on living in your trailer during winter, even on the Kenai (which is sort of the banana belt temperature-wise).

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-06-2019 at 01:54 AM..

Old 07-06-2019, 06:56 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,431,354 times
CDL drivers are in high demand. Basic google of Truck Driver opportunities Alaska” comes back with many hits.

Also see if the USPS has openings.

Good luck

Old 07-06-2019, 08:16 AM

Thank you all for your replies! Yeah Parnassia we definatly will not be living in a camper in the winter that is just temporary while we would be looking for a house or apartment in June. I look on ideed all the time and it seems like there are always lots of jobs available is there really that much competition? I know what I want to do, but I am willing to be flexible and take any opportunity in the beginning just to have an income again and then eventually I will find my niche. We also can be flexible on where we would move too but just don't want to be in the city (anchorage).

Old 07-06-2019, 04:36 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highrockies View Post
I look on ideed all the time and it seems like there are always lots of jobs available is there really that much competition?
This isn't my profession so can't tell you. I just know that many people come here with dreams expecting to walk into great jobs but don't find enough to pay for the living they want. YMMV. Good luck!

Old 07-06-2019, 05:03 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highrockies View Post
Thank you all for your replies! Yeah Parnassia we definatly will not be living in a camper in the winter that is just temporary while we would be looking for a house or apartment in June.
You might want to consider coming up in May or even April for a head start on housing and jobs. I agree with having a job lined up before you come — it's my understanding that there's a truck driver shortage all over the U.S., but idk about Alaska specifically.

AKStafford is a construction guy and can tell you about the current job market in that field. As I recall, it isn't good, but maybe that's changed since I last heard anything.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-06-2019 at 05:24 PM..

Old 07-06-2019, 10:02 PM

2,051 posts, read 1,661,124 times
With a CDL and experience, you can find a job. Understand a lot of it is seasonal. You can make a year's worth of money in the 5 months of construction season, but you aren't going to have much of a summer other than work. On the flip side of that, if you can get a slope job, you can spend your winters working as that is when they put in ice roads and move drill rigs.

Old 07-21-2019, 04:56 PM

Thanks for all the input & advice! Something to think about for sure... I appreciate it!

Old 07-21-2019, 11:01 PM

406 posts, read 756,514 times
Do not come here, the government is about to fold up and taxes are going to go through the roof!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska