Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 04:50 PM

455 posts, read 743,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
thanks for this information, even if this thread is old.

As far as skunks go, I have never seen one in Alaska. Not sure if they live up here in the wild.
But we did have a few fleas here in Anchorage. My DD found some in her room (which was weird as they were not on our cats or dog) but we through cleaning of the linens and clothes took care of it. We are assuming they came from a friends house after a trip to the lower 48.
Interestingly, Alaska is actually the only state in the US with no endemic population of skunks. They are illegal to breed, release, or import into this state, and fish & game can shoot them on the spot if they are found.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 10:55 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,289,376 times
No skunks, but I'd rather my dog run into one of them than a porcupine.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:43 AM

182 posts, read 478,449 times
No kidding, dog stinking vs dog in agony....

Old 08-08-2012, 10:58 PM

2 posts, read 1,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itdincor View Post
I can speak only for Popof Island in the Shumagins.

We have no fleas. Period. And it does not become nearly so cold here as Fairbanks or other places Inside. No explanation from me, as I don't know why.

I have never heard of heartworms on this island, nor have any of the vets who come here ever mentioned this to me.

Naturally, you should continue your investigation. One island does not a state make. Also, the climate here can be very different from one area to another of this gigantic state, so maybe there are heartworms in, say, South Eastern. Can't say.

Keep looking. You'll find out for sure.

BTW: I've always admired Malemutes. But, myself have always had mutts whom I have rescued, in one sense or another. Malemutes are some of the most attractive dogs I've ever seen.

Good on ya.

I have lived in Alaska for 61 years. My Mother had a dog that did have heartworms and the dog had never been out of the stated. Heartworms come from infected mosquitos and if the dog gets bit by one it would take from 6 months to 7 years to show up. They can have as many s 250 heartworms in their bodies. We do have preventive medicine in Alaska and everyone's dog should be treated, unless you don't love it enough to care.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
An erroneous assumption. The Alaskan Snow Mosquito (Culiseta Alaskaensis) is incapable of transmitting any parasites or disease because their body water is replaced by glycerol, a type of carbohydrate, which acts as an antifreeze and keeps the body cells from rupturing when temperatures reach the freezing point. This glycerol also prevents them from carrying parasites, like heart-worms, or diseases like the West Nile Virus or malaria.

There is only one genus of mosquito in Alaska capable of transmitting diseases or parasites, Anopheles Earlei. It is so rare in Alaska that adults have only been found in Anchorage.

Alaska is the only state in the Union were vaccinations to prevent heart-worms is not a requirement.

It is not a requirement but anyone who loves their animals would get it. Like I said earlier, my mother's dog had heartworms and it never left the state of Alaska. It was born here and stayed here it's who life.
Lynnie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska