Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Tell me about Alaska: moving to, living, love, hate, air, quotes.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 04:18 PM

Location: Currently living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska
144 posts, read 719,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Alaska seems to now be the "place" to be. I am curious about the following:

1. How long have you lived in Alaska?
(and what part of Alaska do you live in?)
I have lived here (Arctic) since 1981 Moved around a lot, but always come back to Point Hope as home.

2. What state did you move from?

Boston Mass !!

3. What do you love and hate about Alaska?

I love the state and all the freedom people have here. The many diversified people(s) and traditions and cultures. Alaska has many faces. All of it together is ALASKA.

I hate the outsiders coming up here with thier attitudes that we have to think and do as they say.

4. With so many people moving here - do you feel Alaska is quickly becoming like any other lower 48 State?
the day that spirit is here.. I am moving to the top of Greenland.

Anchorage has changed drastically since 1981. Back then it was very rare to ever hear of a shooting or murder in this town, Now it is a daily occurance.

Too many people have come up here, and brought their bad city attitudes. Too many 3rd world countries have arrived in full force and gang wars are now common daily part of life in the city of Anchorage. I am staying in the Arctic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 07:45 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,774,865 times
1. Been here 24 years in all. Lived all over the state from the Aleutian islands to Barrow. I've visted most places about this state too.

2. Moved here from Oregon.

3. Love? Just about everything, from the people, free spirited minded people, to the long summers. Summers here are pure paradise!

4. Alaska will not become the lower 48 anytime soon if ever. Especially not in our lifetimes. Population here has not risn that much really. Alaska is just so darn big, it is going to stay the last frontier for the near future for sure.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:06 PM

959 posts, read 2,360,851 times
1. Been here 5 years (yup--I'm a relative "newbie" by standards of most who've answered this ) I live in SE AK.

2. Moved from northern MN...only other place I've ever lived.

3. Love--all the outdoors adventures that are possible here, the toughness of the people and also their generosity; the fact that it is quite different from what I saw in my life/travels in lower 48. Hate--high rate of child molestation/sex offenders, irresponsible parenting (and yes that means something different here from "average"); the effects of alcoholism/addiction, esp. in Native populations.

4. Nope--don't think Alaska is going to conform that fast--possibly urban areas may be more like lower 48 but rural AK is a different story. It's not an easy task to make a living here. Alaska gives "building a life" whole new meaning. As people are coming in, so too every year are people leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska