Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 12:30 PM

Location: Currently living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska
144 posts, read 719,262 times

Advertisements

All I did was copy and hand type the info that is in the phone book !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 10:06 PM

2 posts, read 5,563 times
Nunamiut people were led back to Anaktuvuk Pass, by their Moses, Simon Paneak. While still alive, he was followed around by European anthropologists and photographers, like pups. You can see a kayak he built, using only traditional means, in the Museum at UAF; I was lucky enough to be able to watch him work on it. Simon was a born teacher; when he did anything, he would immediately start teaching. AP is near the Continental Divide; the mountains are an extention (sic) of the Rockies.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:30 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
There is a winter road they plow open every year so you can drive back there for about four months or so of the year. Not a great road, but they bring a lot of truck freight and groceries in for the year that way to avoid the cost of airfreight.

Pretty much tucked into the Mountains, pretty though. Not much for a lifestyle to make a living at unless you work for the school or State.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:46 PM

406 posts, read 755,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
There is a winter road they plow open every year so you can drive back there for about four months or so of the year. Not a great road, but they bring a lot of truck freight and groceries in for the year that way to avoid the cost of airfreight.

Pretty much tucked into the Mountains, pretty though. Not much for a lifestyle to make a living at unless you work for the school or State.
They have plowed a road in there since Wally Hickle was the gov the first time he was elected.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:09 PM

I meant Haven't plowed....

Old 06-25-2010, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitgreb View Post
I meant Haven't plowed....
Nope, they build one every year, I have bid on it a couple of times, but it seems it is normally done by someone who has family ties to the town...

Some years it is only open a few weeks before a snowslide shuts it off, sometimes there isn't enough snow and the State won't allow them to plow it open for fear of damage to the Tundra.

But every summer, they put notices to bid on plowing the road open in the paper. It isn't a very good one either, but you can drive in and out on it during a short window. It is about 60 miles to the haul road from there. A better discription of it would be an "Improved winter trail"...

Old 06-25-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Nope, they build one every year, I have bid on it a couple of times, but it seems it is normally done by someone who has family ties to the town...

Some years it is only open a few weeks before a snowslide shuts it off, sometimes there isn't enough snow and the State won't allow them to plow it open for fear of damage to the Tundra.

But every summer, they put notices to bid on plowing the road open in the paper. It isn't a very good one either, but you can drive in and out on it during a short window. It is about 60 miles to the haul road from there. A better discription of it would be an "Improved winter trail"...
That's news to me and I use to spend a little time there. Are you sure your not talking about Bettles?

Old 06-27-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitgreb View Post
That's news to me and I use to spend a little time there. Are you sure your not talking about Bettles?

Could have a winter road to Bettles as well, but never bid on that one. The State calls it a "Cat-train" road, which I would assume is for liability reasons, but semi's run it at times as well as do POV (not very many there though) when they want to run to Fairbanks for grub a lot cheaper than locally.

http://www.commerce.state.ak.us/dca/...Anaktuvuk+Pass
The 4,800' gravel airstrip is owned and operated by the North Slope Borough and provides Anaktuvuk Pass with year-round access. There is no road to Anaktuvuk Pass, but "cat-trains" transport cargo from the Trans-Alaska pipeline haul road during winter months. Snow machines and ATVs are used for local transportation.

Last edited by starlite9; 06-27-2010 at 11:08 PM..

Old 11-22-2010, 01:46 PM

33 posts, read 57,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
You can't drive there...its about 50 miles west of the haul road. I have never been there but I've been close. I used to live in Bettles a LONG time ago. Some people from Anaktuvik Pass would come to Bettles and trade skin masks for groceries.

It's an Eskimo Village. They are one of the most recent of the nomadic groups. They settled there because the caribou would almost always migrate through that pass and it was easy to get their winter meat.

Why do you ask, are you going to teach there?
I was in Bettles in '52, and bought some artifacts from Simon Paneak. When were you there?

Old 11-22-2010, 01:56 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picker View Post
I was in Bettles in '52, and bought some artifacts from Simon Paneak. When were you there?
I was there in the mid 70's. 52? Sheesh, I was minus one year old.

But I think I bought something from a Paneak as well. I have to say, those Anuktuvik people impressed me with their ability to thrive in the outdoors. Amazing people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska