Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 05:35 PM

14 posts, read 30,292 times

Advertisements

We made the drive this late March. F150 with real winter tires hauling a 14' enclosed cargo trailer. Calgary, all the way through to Palmer had snow - some parts worse than others. The Milepost (MP) was good but the pandemic should make you consider certain aspects of your trip. The MP tells you where the gas is and what stations are normally open and there are some long stretches of a whole lotta nothing. Now, since the pandemic, gas stations that are normally open, weren't. We hit a stretch of about 5 hours without anything open. So, bring extra gas. We took 10 gallons. Never let your gas go below 1/2 tank.

Because of the pandemic, fewer drivers are on the road so if you run into any issues, you may be on your own. This can be multiplied if you have no cell reception. We also took a "winter" emergency kit in case we were stranded. Because of the pandemic there were fewer cars - fewer people to help you. At one point, we had mechanical issues and the only two cars around, just drove right on around us.

We crossed the border at Sawgrass and were told the same thing about crossing: depends. We were the only vehicle and went through without issue (with long-guns and all appropriate paperwork). Be prepared and that should reduce any chance of issues. We had a dog with all proper paperwork. He's a pit mix so we were concerned but they gave him a cookie and sent us on our way.

Canada roads were pretty clear all the way through Edmonton. After that, everything gets sketchy - you ARE leaving civilization. We were pretty good until we hit Toad River in BC. That was freaking scary! High mountains, ice and snow everywhere; at times we had no idea where the road was. We stayed at the Toad River Lodge which is about the only piece of civilization in that area. BTW, -22 degrees, so cold.

Got stopped in the Yukon where they asked what we were doing. We told them "just passing through". We talked hockey for about 15 minutes and he said "be out of Canada within 24 hours". See ya! After crossing the border into AK, I thought the roads would get better. They didn't. We got almost to Palmer before the roads were actually starting to get nice.

If it's an adventure you want, I'm betting you will get it. Be safe, be prepared, and be positive. Honestly, I would never do that trip in February. If you have kids, make damn sure you are prepared. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2020, 06:13 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Canada has a similar setup as Hawai’i during COVID, you must
I was under the impression you would not be allowed to overnight
there. Either drive through or quarantine for 14 days.
In short, my advice is to chose another way to get your family and
vehicle to Alaska.

Old 12-17-2020, 07:31 PM

1,169 posts, read 749,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Canada has a similar setup as Hawai’i during COVID, you must
I was under the impression you would not be allowed to overnight
there. Either drive through or quarantine for 14 days.
In short, my advice is to chose another way to get your family and
vehicle to Alaska.
That time of year, ferry sailings are once every Friday from Bellingham, you cannot reach the Kenai from Bellingham any more, at least not in the winter and early spring (thanks Governor!), which means you still have to drive through Canada from Haines to Northway...though you can do it all in one very long day if need be, I have, but that was summertime. I made some assumptions on his vehicle, trailer and number of kids and did an estimate on the booking website and conservatively it would cost $5200 for that sailing.

They may have sailings to Whittier beginning later in March or April, but I'd add another $2k for that route, at least.

Old 12-18-2020, 11:21 AM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
There is another option:

Fly yourself up to AK to get the new job kicked off in Feb, get established, long guns dealt with, and find a place to live. Arrange time off later in spring, fly back down to AZ and make the road trip with spouse, kids, dog when it won't be such an "adventure" and you'll have more options. By that time more businesses may be open, more road traffic, and the border may have loosened up. But, if it hasn't, it may also be easier to demonstrate that you are an AK resident moving back to the state. You could also choose the ferry...more sailings by that time of year.

Old 12-18-2020, 09:56 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times
Winters are not nice to roads in Alaska. Expect lots of frost heaves.

Would also suggest you call the hotels you anticipate staying at, both in Canada and Alaska, to see if they are really open that time of year.

Have a tow strap. If you get stuck people are more likely to stop if you already have a strap ready to go. The same goes with jumper cables.

A block heater is a must. Get a heavy duty winter rated extension cord with the led light built into the plug so that you can see there is power going to it. Not sure what the hotels do now but years ago some of the smaller hotels would charge you to plug in your vehicle. Also some places you have to flip a switch in your room to get power to the outside outlet.

Buy heavy duty tire chains. The cheap light weight ones might not hold up very well should you have to use them for extended distances. Would also buy a few spare cross links and a tool for installing the cross links.

For sure buy heavy duty jumper cables. The ten dollar discount cables can not carry enough juice to start a vehicle when it is really cold out.

I would bring a bathroom rug or something similar to kneel on if you have to chain up.

Old 12-21-2020, 11:06 AM

894 posts, read 2,201,285 times
Replaced the battery on my pickup last week with an AGM.

My response to the person who asked why February: Because I start the job in March.

Taking the ferry is not an option. That's too much money, especially pulling a trailer.

Great advice with the ArrivCan. That part slipped my mind. The Canadian government appears to have deliberately written things out on crossing to confuse people. Nothing is clear.

Firearms: I am shipping everything with a pistol grip in just a few weeks.

Old 01-28-2021, 08:39 PM

773 posts, read 1,938,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurNextAdventure View Post
Hey everyone. Family of 4, 2 young children are moving to Alaska in late February for work. My wife and I have made this move about a decade ago, but at a different time of year. We plan on hitting the road between February 23rd and 25th. That should put is into the Yukon at around February 28th-March 1st (ish.)

What kind of weather should we be expecting in late February/Early March? Most importantly, what must have items should we pack in the truck with us? I already have a set of snow tires on another set of wheels ready to put on the truck for the drive. We have a camper shell, and I will be insulating it with 2" Styrofoam for my dog. We will be pulling a car hauler trailer with our SXS and my toolbox (I'm a mechanic for living.)
Hi and welcome!
My wife and I moved up here back at the end of Oct 2014. In Canada they use ground up rock to sand the roads (making the Al-Can rough). We had 5 flat tires on our car hauler, so even if your using a Uhaul, get spares. We had a 26ft U-haul truck, which did fine, but it was real slow in the mountains. We planned 5 days for the trip, and it took us 8 with all the flats. Many of the motels close in Oct, so plan where you will be staying. Good luck.

Old 01-31-2021, 08:28 PM

894 posts, read 2,201,285 times
I have decided to fly my wife and kids (and pets,) and I will be making the trip with the company of my best friend. I will be calling the border crossing in Coutts tomorrow to confirm he is able to make the trip with me.

I have inquired about lodging at my planned stopping points. All is good until the Yukon. Haven't gotten a response from anyone there. I'll try again this week. No stopping point is set in stone. There are too many things that could go wrong to slow us down.

Closed on our new house last week. So I'm officially an Alaska homeowner

Old 02-01-2021, 12:07 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,650,286 times
Good luck with your move. Hope it goes well.

Old 02-03-2021, 04:13 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurNextAdventure View Post
I have decided to fly my wife and kids (and pets,) and I will be making the trip with the company of my best friend. I will be calling the border crossing in Coutts tomorrow to confirm he is able to make the trip with me.

I have inquired about lodging at my planned stopping points. All is good until the Yukon. Haven't gotten a response from anyone there. I'll try again this week. No stopping point is set in stone. There are too many things that could go wrong to slow us down.

Closed on our new house last week. So I'm officially an Alaska homeowner
1) If either of you have a felony conviction or DUI you will not be allowed in.
2) Check the accommodations in Destruction Bay Yukon Talbot Arms. Young's Motel in Tok AK.
3) Count on temps as low as minus 70. If you don't have an engine heater you will have to leave your
truck running overnight.
4) Don't drive after dark. The roads are not great and if you hit anything you will be in ditch in life
threatening cold.
5) Carrying a satellite phone is very handy.
6) It's beautiful. Go easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska